Gransnet forums

Health

Knee replacement. Help!

(503 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 30-Sep-16 11:41:27

Just been informed that my knee has 'reached the end of the line'. Need replacement. Am devastated and really worried about it all. Any positive info welcome.

Dee1952 Fri 17-Dec-21 18:11:37

Hi. I'm looking at needing TKR in the near future, I'm trying to eek out more time with this knee, I love cycling and I'm quite worried I won't be able to go out cycling with my bike club or worse not at all !.
Amy cyclists out there, I'm a fit 70 year old .

Elrel Mon 06-Feb-17 12:49:46

annsixty - that's good to know! Roll on May! (Not her!!)

Luckygirl Mon 06-Feb-17 08:49:06

Good news that everyone is progressing well.

Jane10 Mon 06-Feb-17 07:44:41

That's excellent annsixty. Fingers crossed Elrel and I feel the same way in six months.
Have you bought that recliner yet by the way? Hope so.

annsixty Mon 06-Feb-17 04:33:29

6 months this week for me now and as forecast my knee has continued to improve to a point that I have no problems at all.
I am so happy with it and so grateful. Hope you all see the same with time.

Elrel Mon 06-Feb-17 00:53:55

So pleased for you that you are back driving! ?

Jane10 Tue 31-Jan-17 15:54:41

I got the go ahead to drive last week. Hooray. Freedom at last. I thought I'd have forgotten how to drive but it was just as though nothing had happened. Am gradually going back to my usual activities but trying to only do one 'big' thing each day then icing and elevating when I get back. Little by little! Hope all well with the other new kneebies.

Elrel Tue 31-Jan-17 14:48:51

NFK - I had a total replacement and the consultant said afterwards that he'd added a wedge on the inner side of my knee which has indeed straightened my leg. It truly made me look like a cartoon jockey in my jeggings and no longer does.

Elrel Tue 31-Jan-17 14:42:56

Jane10 - yesterday afternoon at hydro there was a woman I'd not seen before exercising her right knee very cautiously on one of the underwater steps. At the lockers we chatted and I asked when her knee was operated on. She said early December but she'd come in that morning for MUA and pointed out that the big black arrow was still drawn on her leg. She'd been told to come to hydro if she felt up to it and said the MUA had not been a problem as she was under anaesthetic! Her knee was at 80 degrees. Mine was 95 yesterday so it looks like I've avoided it but she was so matter of fact about it! Today most of the equipment was collected, I was keeping the tray trolley a little longer anyway but at the last minute decided I'd hang on to the perch stool too as I'd missed it in the kitchen while cooking. I still have one hospital stick but would prefer to get back to my telescopic one.
Hoping you are still progressing well.

NfkDumpling Fri 20-Jan-17 22:54:41

Thanks Jane. Bonesmart is very informative. Thanks.

Jane10 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:22:30

NfkDumpling check the Bonesmart forums. There are lots of people posting about their experiences including those with partial replacements.
Don't be put off by my experiences. It's only 12 weeks since my op and I'm OK. Its not a picnic but it is worth it. I was really pretty crippled before the op. In great pain. I'm not now. I'm not exactly comfortable all the time but definite progress since the manipulation. Check things out. May not be as bad as you think.

NfkDumpling Fri 20-Jan-17 08:11:43

Oh Jane I'm so glad it's worked so well. I will admit I've been lurking on this thread as I'm having an X-ray next week to see if I can at last have something done about my knee, but I keep having second thoughts when I read about the trials of getting back to 'normal'! It all sounds rather horrendous!

My problem is that I don't have really bad arthritis (just moderate) so the pain isn't too bad if I don't use the knee. Apparently I'm 'loose jointed' and my ankles and knees are slowly collapsing inwards. So now stairs and slopes are nigh on impossible as my legs bend wrongly. I can't stand for long or walk very far. How bad do you need to be to get anywhere?

I live in hopes of a partial replacement to straighten my legs out. Has anyone had experience of a partial replacement?

Bellanonna Thu 19-Jan-17 23:14:52

Good news Eirel. I really enjoyed hydro (broke my ankle). The water is lovely and warm. I had six sessions so was very lucky. Sadly that service has now been removed.

Elrel Thu 19-Jan-17 21:10:44

Jane - saw physio today, he was pleased with flexion and I'm joining a hospital hydro class. Very much looking forward to that!

Bellanonna Tue 17-Jan-17 00:12:30

Jane, that's really good news. I've been following your tribulations and your anxiety that this latest procedure might not work. So glad it did. Onwards and upwards !

Elrel Mon 16-Jan-17 19:01:25

So glad for you?!

Jane10 Sun 15-Jan-17 07:15:14

Woke up this morning after 10 hour sleep and was so happy to put both legs dangling neatly together over the edge of the bed. Still 90 degrees!! Not sore at all just a little stiff. The dreaded MUA had worked!! I'm planning to rest, ice and elevate as instructed. I've got a little peddler thing to gently use for short periods. I'm so happy. Hope it lasts!!

Elrel Sat 14-Jan-17 23:03:58

I expect it WAS awful ??! I hope all goes smoothly and hopefully painlessly from now on this time. I'd better keep up with my physio!

Jane10 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:08:27

I was anaesthetised so the surgeon could literally crack my adhesions! Sounds awful. I'm now home and resting and icing with a little cycling on my peddler. Nerve block still in place so no pain yet but it will come! I've been given anti inflammatories to try to prevent adhesions developing again.

Elrel Sat 14-Jan-17 16:17:58

I hadn't realised you were on 50 degrees, the consultant was (is) threatening MUA if I didn't get beyond 90. I've been between 80 and 90 since discharge.
Hoping that you'll soon be driving again after the machine! Where did the anaesthetic come into it, or maybe I've misunderstood.
I was happy today to find I'd walked out of Tesco without my stick! First time I've done that since months before surgery. Don't tell anyone that I was unwrapping a 2 finger KitKat at the time ... ?

Jane10 Sat 14-Jan-17 01:12:28

Sounds really good Elrel. My knee was much the better for stopping physio for a few weeks. It felt much stronger and more stable. Healed. However, it didn't bend beyond 50degrees. This machine is slowly bending it to 90. I'm sure it'll swell up and take a while to get it to that once I'm back home but its more than its ever bent since the op.

Elrel Fri 13-Jan-17 23:18:29

Jane - Thinking of you and wishing you well ?You're very brave!

I had hydrotherapy this week, first time for several weeks. Didn't want to go but was amazed and delighted when the physio said she could see an improvement in my flexion. What with that and the warm water on a cold day I felt great afterwards.

shysal Fri 13-Jan-17 19:00:16

Glad it is over, hope you will not be too sore tomorrow. flowers

Bellanonna Fri 13-Jan-17 18:46:26

All the best Jane. Hope it does the trick

Jane10 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:43:49

Am back in the room strapped to a torture machine called a continuous passive motion machine. Can't say its a picnic but at least my knee is bending. Muscles will be very sore tomorrow!