Gransnet forums

Health

Talcum Powder scare

(44 Posts)
honeypot43 Fri 28-Oct-16 10:13:10

Just heard about Johnsons Baby Powder big pay out in America as it apparently caused ovarian cancer. But also just heard on Radio 5 an expert saying the risk is so small we shouldn't worry. The American said zinc powder is safe, but on line one site said no difference. I love talcum powder but now not so sure, what do you think?

0wlfred Mon 31-Oct-16 07:06:18

Best use for talc: getting rid of sand and damp from feet after a trip to the beach! I'm quite prepared to risk cancer of my toes.....

Elegran Sun 30-Oct-16 20:41:23

"Researchers studied more than 2,000 women with ovarian cancer and a similar-sized control group who were free of disease. Overall, they found a 33% increase in the risk of ovarian cancer with genital talc use. " www.nhs.uk/news/2016/03March/Pages/Talc-and-ovarian-cancer-what-the-most-recent-evidence-shows.aspx

"Background: Multiple studies of ovarian cancer and genital talc use have led only to consensus about possible carcinogenicity. Seeking greater clarity, we examined this association in 2,041 cases with epithelial ovarian cancer and 2,100 age- and-residence-matched controls" from the abstract of the study.

It was a retrospective study, so it was based on women's recollections of their talc use in the past, (so maybe not quite as reliable as a specially set-up trial)

And I can't see any answer to the question "33% more than what?" which could mean that the risk was 4 in 10 instead of 3 in 10 - that would means that it would affect a lot of people - or it could mean 4 in 10,000 instead of 3 in 10,000, which would mean it would affect a few people. Or anything in between or at either side of those levels of risk! It also was not designed to establish cause and effect, just an assocation.

So, yes there does appear to be a higher risk of cancer from using talc on that area of the body.

notanan Sun 30-Oct-16 19:36:31

How many people do you know who've used it and not had cancer?

Lol, that's not how risk factors work,
There are people who smoked who died of non smoking related reasons - that doesn't mean that smoking doesn't increase your risk of smoking related premature death.

Something can be dangerous and increase risk without killing EVERYONE who is exposed to it

Knowing someone who didn't die from talc doesn't mean talc is safe hmm

pollyparrot Sun 30-Oct-16 19:03:54

I've had ovarian cancer and I knew about this claim. I honestly don't believe baby powder is to blame. How many people do you know who've used it and not had cancer?

notanan Sun 30-Oct-16 16:30:26

This is not a new scare at all.

I never got the sand "trick", what harm did a little bit of sand left on feet after the beach ever do anyone? far less than all the people who chuck talk onto our beaches and into the ecosystem - I've seen em at it in beach car parks, where do they think it gets washed down to?

Luckylegs9 Sun 30-Oct-16 08:43:50

Pressed face powder is just talc.

Deedaa Sat 29-Oct-16 21:13:49

I was warned not to use it for my children 40 years ago. My MIL used to cover herself in Johnson's Baby Powder. Her whole flat stank of it and the bathroom was covered in a half inch layer of it.

Ana Sat 29-Oct-16 20:43:55

Think that was deodorant, not talc.

BlueBelle Sat 29-Oct-16 20:19:11

I might be wrong but wasn't there some talk of it being found in breast cancer tissues from underarm use ...or have I just dreamt that up

BlueBelle Sat 29-Oct-16 20:17:27

I don't understand why this is being hailed as new this particular scare has done the rounds for decades and that's when I stopped using it on me or the kids about 40 years ago when it was first spoken about

yogagran Sat 29-Oct-16 20:00:04

Burts Bees Talc is made in the USA. If you prefer to buy a British product then try Neal's Yard
www.nealsyardremedies.com/1659.html#start=1
either available from them if you've got one of their shops nearby but Amazon sell their products too

harrigran Sat 29-Oct-16 09:51:14

The risk from talc has been known for many years. I still keep Johnson's but use it for GD's feet when visiting the beach and also for putting inside the Marigolds.

Falconbird Sat 29-Oct-16 07:33:48

Ana - You are right about the diaphragm. I had one back in the seventies and it was kept in a little plastic case shaped like an oyster and you had to keep it dusted with talc.

Liaise Fri 28-Oct-16 19:20:29

I use it on the fridge door to get a good seal. Useful if your fridge is old and the seals have deteriorated.

Jalima Fri 28-Oct-16 16:53:43

Oh yes, placing it exactly where the problem occurs shock

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 16:45:59

x posts

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 16:45:29

Jalima and what about those diaphragm thingies that the previous generation used? I'm sure they were sprinkled with talc before storing in their containers.

Jalima Fri 28-Oct-16 16:42:53

Partners' talc use and condom and diaphragm use was also recorded
From the following link:
www.nhs.uk/news/2016/03March/Pages/Talc-and-ovarian-cancer-what-the-most-recent-evidence-shows.aspx

(sorry, a link!!)

Greyduster Fri 28-Oct-16 16:41:38

I use Cuticura, but only under my boobs after a shower! Never below the waist since I became aware of the health issues, some time ago now. I used to love my babies smelling of Johnsons, but I never used it on GS, and neither did his mum.

Jalima Fri 28-Oct-16 16:40:30

Thank you Wb for voicing my thoughts

Condom manufacturers used to use talcum powder in their manufacture, but I think this has been banned in the EU anyway for some time.

However, cancer may take some time to develop, so condoms or diaphragms could have been a source of talc.

Wobblybits Fri 28-Oct-16 16:34:53

I thought the danger was men or women using it prior to intercourse, which could introduce into the cervix.

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 16:22:29

shock!! But you could be right, Jalima. Maybe the message should have been aimed in another direction...

Jalima Fri 28-Oct-16 16:18:18

um, unless .....

Oh no, perish the thought.

PRINTMISS Fri 28-Oct-16 16:17:47

The longer I live, the more I discover about the sort of things I should not (or never have) done, I am increasingly amazed I have managed to survive for so long.

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 16:13:48

Seems strange to me how the odd outer dusting of talc could work its way up to the cervix, never mind beyond!