Gransnet forums

Health

FIbroids

(19 Posts)
PinkCakes Fri 18-Sep-20 19:58:37

I've just noticed that the original post is 4 YEARS old!

PinkCakes Fri 18-Sep-20 19:57:41

A few years ago, I was suffering from very heavy periods, and after scans, it was discovered I'd got 2 small fibroids. The periods stopped 2 years ago (at the age of 59!) but I haven't had any problem whatsoever since.

NettieF Fri 18-Sep-20 11:59:32

Thanks

grandtanteJE65 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:19:36

I was diagnose when I was in my late thirties with fibriods.

At the time I was told that they usually diminish after the menopause, that treatment other than a hysterectomy is not usually available and that they cannot turn into cancer.

One of those who told me this was my father a GP, another my own GP and the third a gynaeocologist.

They caused me no trouble and I certainly wasn't prepared to consider a hysterectomy for something that wasn't bothering me.

Now, nearly thirty years later, I have just had an ovarian cyst removed and a small fibroid that was apparently outside my womb - presumably in the area known to doctors as fosse douglasi. I had been told I would need a hysterectomy, but after the op. the surgeon said that as my uterus was completely normal and the ovarian cyst didn't look malign, he had been afraid he would just cause problems if he removed the uterus.

The lab. tests proved him right; nothing they removed was malign or showing evidence of being pre-cancerous.

My experience leads me to say: do nothing, if the fibriods are not causing trouble, especially if you still are of the age to have children and want them.

I realised something was wrong because I started needing to wee all the time and had difficulty emptying my bladder and bowels .

These rather alarming symptoms were solely caused by the cyst putting pressure on the bladder and lower bowel.

So if the fibriods grow so big that they cause trouble, go back to the gynaeocologist.

Cholla221 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:05:36

Sorry for the pain sister!

I know this thread is a few years old and already has some good suggestions, but just in case you still need another solution, I feel compelled to post this.

I used to search for ways to get rid of my fibroids myself when I was 23 and pregnant for the first time.

I ended up trying quite a few online programs.

Out of desperation, I accidentally found something that worked really well called "Fibroids Miracle".

Everyone I have recommended this to since I discovered it has been amazed at how well it works. You should definitely check it out!

This program contains some of the most effective natural treatments for fibroids on the planet.

Have a look at their site (I just found in Google and no, I'm not affiliated w/ it).

M0nica Sun 30-Oct-16 08:12:20

I had fibroids in my late 40s. My GP said that no action was necessary as they would shrink and disappear with the menopause. That was over 30 years ago and I have had no problems since. I had a CT scan about 10 years ago for an entirely unrelated problem and if there had been any sign of them they would have shown up on that and been commented on. They weren't.

For information on fibroids causes and development have a look at the NHS site www.nhs.uk/conditions/fibroids/pages/introduction.aspx

Willow500 Sun 30-Oct-16 07:36:09

I had the same experience as KatyK and told that I might need a hysterectomy in due course but never did - that must be 20 years ago too and never had any problems since. My mum had a hysterectomy due to fibroids back in the 60's but they weren't cancerous -she was back at work a fortnight later standing all day in a shop - these days you're supposed to take 6 weeks off.

Lona Sat 29-Oct-16 15:05:41

I've had fibroid for about 30 years, they haven't caused me any problems but they didn't shrink during or after the menopause.

Christinefrance Sat 29-Oct-16 12:47:34

Fibroids themselves are not a problem. It's when they cause heavy periods which can be really incapacitating. I had a hysterectomy twenty odd years ago due to this. It was such a relief to be rid of giant pads and constant worrying. I have never looked back and have had no gynaecological problems since.
If the single fibroid is not causing you any problems just leave well alone.

KatyK Sat 29-Oct-16 10:25:25

About 20 years ago when I was suffering from extremely heavy periods, I was told I hade fibroids and asked if I wanted a hysterectomy. I said no and they said OK. I have had no problems from these fibroids and to be honest have never given them a thought.

annsixty Sat 29-Oct-16 10:15:56

At 79 I frequently dream of being pregnant, had one only this week. They are such happy comforting dreams. No ops though just a longing for a larger family. As well my life is difficult and I think I retreat into earlier happier times in my subconscious.

downtoearth Sat 29-Oct-16 10:02:02

jacky like you still dream of having babies,I was affected badly emotionally as I had hoped for a bigger family ,I was sterilised at 29 due to difficult pregnancies and was agreed I shouldn't have more,I was affected very badly emotionally after that also and kept hoping I was one of the very few women whose tubes had reconnected sad

JackyB Sat 29-Oct-16 09:23:49

Oh, and I did read that about 85% of women over a certain age get it (can't remember the age, about 35 or 40)

JackyB Sat 29-Oct-16 09:21:59

I, too, had a hysterectomy in my 40s due to fibroids. Before that I was glad when my periods came because I was losing huge lumps like bits of raw liver (sorry if TMI) except during my periods when it was just a trickle of blood.

I desperately wanted the operation because life was impossible, but since then I have felt incomplete and constantly dream I'm having a baby. Even now, some 20 years on.

downtoearth Sat 29-Oct-16 09:05:46

I had a hysterectomy due to fibroids,they shrink after menopause but I was only 40 and was very anaemic and the monthly mess and misery was life restricting as I was unable to leave the house for 4 days each month.....they are non cancerous growths

vampirequeen Fri 28-Oct-16 23:55:50

Fibroids are a nuisance rather than a threat because they can cause heavy/painful menstruation. I was diagnosed with a few of them about 20 years ago. In my case the heavy bleeding/pain was alleviated by the use of a coil (it stopped my periods altogether). A friend wasn't so fortunate and had to have a hysterectomy to solve the problem. But neither of our cases were malignant and probably in previous generations women simply had to put up with the mess and pain.

However if it worries you then you should talk to the practice nurse or your GP. Both would rather you were reassured rather than living with something that made you anxious.

Jayanna9040 Fri 28-Oct-16 23:25:51

They don't turn malignant. Think of it as a varicose vein. It could have shrunk to nothing if you had the menopause. But always see your doctor if you're worried. Or maybe you've got nurse appointments at your GPs?

merlotgran Fri 28-Oct-16 23:08:59

Only one?

Sorry to sound flippant but multiple fibroids are the cause of many a hysterectomy.

Don't worry if it isn't causing you any further problems.

Rowantree Fri 28-Oct-16 22:58:09

Several years ago, I had an internal ultrasound scan and was told I had a fibroid. I felt freaked out but the GP didn't seem worried or want to follow it up. I haven't had any trouble with it but I do worry whether they can turn malignant and whether it's worth asking for another scan to check on it or whether I'd be laughed out of court for wasting NHS time.
Anyone know anything about fibroids? I don't like the idea of something growing inside which isn't meant to be there and I don't know why or how it came to be there.

Any info welcome!