Gransnet forums

Health

Prolonged menstrual bleeding

(18 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 19-Nov-16 13:26:22

Not me but D. She has had heavy bleeding now for 41 days. She's had scans which showed no problems and been prescribed tranexamic acid (sorry if I've got that wrong) and iron they've upped her dose twice as it initially worked for a few days then started again. She saw GP again Thursday and was again told to increase dose, which worked for a few hours. Poor girl is on her knees and depressed by it all. Anyone any experience??

Charleygirl Sat 19-Nov-16 14:05:45

Thankfully no but your D needs to see a gynaecologist asap.

Mumsy Sat 19-Nov-16 14:07:16

Has your D started taking hormone treatment as this can cause bleeding for several months? another cause is starting the menopause, my periods were very heavy but gradually dried up completely after a few months.

grannypiper Sat 19-Nov-16 14:09:08

I had the same thing myself, tried everything even begged for a hysterectomy, but no they wouldnt do it even though i had been sterilised at age 23. I moved to Scotland saw my new G.P and had the op a few weeks later. I had a suffered for 25 years for no reason so if your DD has had all the children she wants she really think about a hysterectomy as nothing else seems to work.

kittylester Sat 19-Nov-16 14:12:27

I had fibroid and then hot exacerbated the problem and I had a hysterectomy. I found ir really scary and when I went to my regular gp he said that no-one has died having a period! I seriously thought I would. Hugs for her - it's horrid

Greyduster Sat 19-Nov-16 14:16:27

That sounds horrendous and out of the ordinary. Was she referred to a gynaecologist or is it just the GP who has dealt with her so far? If not I would think she should press for an urgent referral, especially if the medication is not working. I used to bleed very heavily, but never for as long as that - I think around two weeks was the longest and even then it took it out of me. I had fibroids and a D&C sorted it out. I hope she gets some treatment soon, poor lass!

GrandmaMoira Sat 19-Nov-16 15:13:29

It sounds as if she urgently needs to see a gynaecologist. A hysterectomy is probably the answer. Having had one earlier this year, it's not as bad an op as it used to b e.

JessM Sat 19-Nov-16 16:12:10

Has she had her blood tested to see what effect its having on her haemoglobin levels? If it is really heavy she might be getting quite anaemic.

ninathenana Sat 19-Nov-16 16:12:16

Thanks for replies.
She has seen a gynaecologist that's who prescribed the drugs and scheduled the scan. Trouble being she was in Scotland when that happened and is now back in Kent.
She is only 29 but would have a hysterectomy to have a normal life bless her. Think I will go to the GP with her and fight her corner.
I know how she feels I had horrendous periods myself.

ninathenana Sat 19-Nov-16 16:16:21

Her bloods came back normal JessM
I did wonder about early menopause.

Grannynise Sat 19-Nov-16 17:59:15

My daughter has had this problem after an early menopause (34) caused by treatment for lymphoma. Her iron levels have been extremely low and she has felt dreadful. A combination of the t acid and various other drugs worked to some extent but as soon as she stopped or reduced the medication it all came back. She refuses to have a hysterectomy. The other suggested action was to have a mirena coil fitted which again, for reasons best know to herself, she would not do. I know form my own experience that this can reduce/stop periods. Maybe the Mirena would help your daughter?

She has now found a form of HRT that suits her and this has helped - but obviously that's not appropriate for your daughter ninathenana.

Christinefrance Sat 19-Nov-16 20:23:00

My daughter and her friend had the same problem. They both had the coil fitted and after some initial problems things have improved. I had a hysterectomy and never regretted it. As GrandmaMoira said the op is much easier now.

NanaMacGeek Sat 19-Nov-16 21:40:24

I had similar symptoms in my early thirties, it was an ectopic pregnancy. I hope this isn't the case here. Medicine must have moved on since that happened to me. Best wishes to your daughter.

ninathenana Sat 19-Nov-16 23:09:37

She had a coil in place when this all started. Thanks for the good wishes.

rubylady Sun 20-Nov-16 23:19:36

nina Has you DD had her coil removed? I have been suffering from anaemia due to heavy periods and was given iron tablets from the GP. But they upset my stomach, so I now take Floradix liquic iron and vitamins formula and Sambucol Immune booster. They really have helped me.

She does need to see a gyny doctor though and have more tests. I had/have the t acid tablets but they have stopped me bleeding in the past, so I don't really know what to suggest. I bet she feels shattered all the time.

With regards to her diet, make sure that she is eating lots of iron rich foods, red meat, spinach, greens, seafood, beans etc. I did order a bottle of Sanatogen tonic with added iron too, see if that makes a difference.

Be careful which iron tablets are given because some are not absorbed as easily as others and there will only be a tiny amount of the iron actually being used from the medication. Look online.

I hope she gets sorted out soon, keep us posted and all good wishes to her, she is very young if she has to face a hysterectomy, poor love. X

ninathenana Mon 21-Nov-16 00:08:21

ruby the coil removed itself smile

SueDonim Mon 21-Nov-16 00:27:20

There is a less drastic alternative to hysterectomy, called ablation. Basically, it removes the lining of the uterus and hence reduces bleeding. I know a couple of women who've had it done and it's worked very well.

A woman must not want any more children to have it done as it makes pregnancy very unlikely in the future. It's worth considering because hysterectomy isn't without its problems later down the line, with other organs prolasping into the cavity.

I hope she can find a solution as it sounds very miserable indeed.

Jackny1252 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:03:52

Thought I would add to this thread as I was in a similar situation to OP and I was searching lots of old threads for advice. I had a period which went on for the best part of 8 weeks. I was extremely worried about and was referred for scans (standard ultrasound and transvaginal.) Also plucked up courage to have my first smear test (I am 48 and know I should have had a number but after a difficult birth with my son just couldn’t face it.) The conclusion was that I have a small fibroid and this plus imbalance in hormones caused the bleeding. The mini pill appears to have stopped my periods all together for the moment. TXA tablets did reduce the flow but didn’t stop it. I think the thing I am trying to say is don’t panic and go to your GP for advice. Prolonged periods in your late forties / early fifties aren’t usual and it is rarely sinister.