Gransnet forums

Health

Angular cheilitis (sore cracked mouth corners)

(17 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 02-Dec-16 15:53:58

I get this all the time and worse in the winter. I have tried anti-fungal and anti-bacterial creams and use only natural beeswax lip balms.

Anyone else got this problem and have a magic solution?

tanith Fri 02-Dec-16 16:10:11

I always suffered from this when I was working mostly outside in the Winter but since I've been retired I haven't had it once. Don't if there is a connection there going in and out of warm places into the cold.. sorry not much help.

NanaandGrampy Fri 02-Dec-16 16:23:03

ouch ! Its painful I know. I only suffered from it once and my GP was sure it was linked to dental health....I'm not sure how but I did go and get a check-up , clean etc and have to say I haven't had it since.

LadyGracie Fri 02-Dec-16 17:00:19

I had it a few months ago and changed my toothpaste, it went

LadyGracie Fri 02-Dec-16 17:26:13

I had been using the same toothpaste for ages, I did notice that the tube said that it had been 'improved' and didn't put two and two together at first

GrannieBabi Fri 02-Dec-16 17:52:35

I have had this in the past and understood it was caused by iron or vitamin deficiency. I did tend to be anaemic and iron tablets worked for me.

ninathenana Fri 02-Dec-16 17:58:10

I've only had this once about 10 yrs ago. Those that have suffered, was yours bilateral ? Mine occured in the summer whilst we were on a boating holiday on the Broads. I don't know if that's significant.
I just used Zinc and Castor oil cream two or three times a day and it healed in 7-10 days.

loopylou Fri 02-Dec-16 19:03:58

I read somewhere it may be Vit C deficiency so taking a multivitamin may help.
I use Lipsyl for cracked lips, it works well for me.

kittylester Fri 02-Dec-16 19:17:05

It's probably thrush. If you wear dentures leave them out and see your gp for a cream on prescription.

Jalima Fri 02-Dec-16 19:46:54

Cracks in the fingers can be due to deficiency in one of the B vitamins, so perhaps it could be the same for cracks in the corner of the mouth.

Jalima Fri 02-Dec-16 19:48:35

I find that some toothpastes can cause mouth ulcers, mentioned it to the dentist yesterday and she told me which ingredient it was, which I have immediately forgotten, it is a foaming agent.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate?

kittylester Fri 02-Dec-16 20:03:07

Kingfisher toothpaste is free of SLS and you can get it from health food shops.

If you actually have Angular cheilitis it is caused by oral thrush.

pen50 Fri 02-Dec-16 22:21:31

I suffered with this for years and years. I think for me it was actually a mild vitamin deficiency; once I started taking a daily multivitamin it went away and hasn't recurred. Might be worth trying?

Welshwife Fri 02-Dec-16 22:36:36

DGS used to have this at regular intervals - the GP diagnosed it as a Vit deficiency and a supplement soon cured it.

Jalima Fri 02-Dec-16 23:08:52

I think it could be a lack of B and C vitamins and iron - but it's interesting that it appears in the winter when we may lack vitamin D.

Perhaps a good all round vitamin or perhaps the GP could prescribe some more accurately?

Jalima Fri 02-Dec-16 23:10:51

Thanks Kittylester I will look out for it.
I told the dentist that Arm and Hammer is fine, not foamy, but she said that is quite harsh.

Jayanna9040 Fri 02-Dec-16 23:29:50

Also iron deficiency. You may be anemic. I think it would be wise to ask the doctor for a blood test.