Gransnet forums

Health

excrutiating pai from nerve squashed lower back

(67 Posts)
celebgran Tue 03-Jan-17 11:34:18

anyone on here had anything similar, I have been out of action since last October, desperately seeking diagnosis,for pain which started in left groin,then radiated to lower back and now moves from there to legs, to right groin.

I am unable to walk or stand for long. Finally I got an mri scan before xmas which showed problem with lower back right side nerves. I am seeing spinal consultant next Monday and quite scared.

Also seeing gynaecologist tomorrow as gp wants to rule out any passible ovaries problem,.

goldengirl Fri 10-Mar-17 12:01:58

It might sound silly but if you visit the doctor with back pain do they check the length of your legs and your gait? Mine didn't but it turned out that was the root cause of my problem. It won't be the same for others of course but perhaps it should be part of the battery of checks.

celebgran Fri 10-Mar-17 11:17:24

That's good lucky girl

Hoping new tablets will help

Luckygirl Tue 07-Mar-17 22:21:27

I had traction for a slipped disc and it worked.

celebgran Tue 07-Mar-17 20:23:40

Glad you got some improvement jalima!

Jalima Tue 07-Mar-17 19:22:19

Perhaps with better pain relief you will move better and not keep trying to 'get away from the pain' and thus move awkwardly.

I am pleased that your GP has been so helpful.

I hardly dare say that the pain down my leg has been better since using the orthotics (although my feet are worse!!).

Fingers crossed for us all smile

celebgran Tue 07-Mar-17 18:53:59

Well ladies comment please, saw gp yesterday she organised prolonged release morphine I. Capsule form twice day stop codeine and carry o with pregabalin.

I have appt with another spinal consultant now first one wasn't v helpful and this man can treat me at different hospital shorter waiting time

My gp wants me try not have injections she says the area between L4 &5 vertervrae thanisnaffected by nerve protruding from disc will settle in another few months,

I shall see what new consular says. My gp has been enormously helpful.

Luckygirl Tue 14-Feb-17 22:31:02

When you are in pain 6 months is too long. I hope you manage to get some relief soon.

celebgran Tue 14-Feb-17 21:11:24

Hi ladygracie and others saw consultant yesterday, I actually saw him rather than registrar but was t too impressed. He examined. MRI scan but 3 different nurses barged in and out and I was so nervous having waited hour or just over henwas running late. I did say could I have bit. More peace. He went bit red said had to have one nurse.

Anyway seems like I got slipped disc and wear and tear.
Could have injections but 6. Month wait at colchester hospital ?
Very depressing he seemed stressed about pain team have been got rid of hence wait? Am trying to get referral to ipswich as seems shorter wait rang a consultant secretary today.

celebgran Thu 02-Feb-17 17:21:29

Thanks ladygracie, I a hardly dare hope i a quite bit better some days the horrendous groin pain subsided, tho do have bit of niggle at moment, but have actually gone 3 days without morphine! That's before seeing consultant! X

LadyGracie Tue 31-Jan-17 12:39:10

Great news, I hope you get a satisfactory outcome. Good luck. Let us know what consultant says.

We also get discharged from clinics after 6 months but if we get problems with in the following 6 months can ask for an appointment.

celebgran Tue 31-Jan-17 11:06:23

Hi all I now have cancellation withnspinal consultant on thirteenth feb fingers crossed.

Had. Y r knee drained and cortisone jab yesterday so that will help mobility I hope
I was so sad that dr has discharged me for knees! Apparently,you only get six months!

celebgran Sat 28-Jan-17 13:19:02

Wow ladygracie thats good to hear.

I am still waiting for appt to see orthapedic consultant

LadyGracie Sat 21-Jan-17 19:44:41

The final op I had was called TLIF with pedicle screws to stabilise the base of my spine. I've not had a days pain since.

celebgran Sat 21-Jan-17 17:42:54

Wow can I ask what operation. Did? Glad it workedl

LadyGracie Sat 21-Jan-17 15:33:22

I had 2 injections in my spine the first provided about 6 weeks relief, the second a lot less. I suffered for years not wanting operations now I wished I'd had them when first offered.

celebgran Sat 21-Jan-17 09:52:56

Did you havevscan guided injections twice as nice?

celebgran Sat 21-Jan-17 09:52:20

Thanks twice as nice I am waiting for consultant appt have quite bad osteoarthritis in knees also ? Bit back far worse hate relying on morphine and high codeine
Never tried acupuncture thanks for sharing your experience

TwiceAsNice Fri 20-Jan-17 22:43:33

My GP thought I had sciatica but the pain got worse and an orthpaedic consuktant arranged for an MRI which showed I had spinal stenosis. I found acupuncture really good and it improved the pain a lot. I manage the pain at the moment but have been told I will need injections at some point and probably an operation in the long term which I dread. The MRI also showed that a disc was compressed on the right side which makes the problem worse. I was told the injections won't work forever so was advised to wait until it was too bad to cope with. It restricts how far I can walk some days and I have to stop and rest or stretch which helps. I would recommend acupuncture if you are happy to try it.

celebgran Fri 20-Jan-17 22:27:48

Thanks for reminding me ftw I did get prescribed stomach protector when on diclofennac which could not take o stopped protector too better restart

f77ms Fri 20-Jan-17 19:42:27

Hi Celebgran the dr should put you on a stomach protector called Omeprazole . they usually do that when you take strong painkillers . It is more likely to be the pregabalin causing the upset tummy btw . It also annoys me that the first port of call is the physiotherapist , such a waste of time and I am sure that it is just a stalling tactic . I have never met one person who has benefitted from physiotherapy with back pain .

Jalima Fri 20-Jan-17 19:39:55

Thanks GrannyA
I may have to see the Doc next week (if I can get an appointment) because it has moved to my back now.

LadyGracie Fri 20-Jan-17 19:29:59

I hope they don't make you wait too long to see orthopaedic consultant and physio helps.

celebgran Fri 20-Jan-17 19:05:43

Have been referred to orthaoedic chap got wait for appt also physio next week so we shall see.

Just. Even away couple days and back was lot better then got worse last. Night again very up and down. I can only tolerate low dose pregabalin
Tummy seems playingmup also could be codeine I expect and or morphine

GrannyA11i Fri 20-Jan-17 13:22:04

Jalima - it's probably a knock on effect of not walking properly. It might settle - take the anti inflammatory meds if you can tolerate them and do little exercises to stretch the leg- most settlecwithin 6 weeks I was told. Mine didn't - but there are other meds for nerve pain which help, like pregabalin. Best wishes it does go away.

Jalima Wed 11-Jan-17 21:07:41

I know I am not walking properly (broken ankle, sore knees) so I am trying to walk slowly and properly and take anti-inflammatory tablets before I then try the GP.

I can sympathise celebgran -3 months of misery
And for anyone else suffering, hope you get some relief soon