Gransnet forums

Health

My New Healthy Lifestyle

(209 Posts)
rubylady Fri 27-Jan-17 03:44:55

Welcome to a new you. This thread is for anyone to post regular updates on their improved health and lifestyle, be it food related, excercise or doing something for yourself which helps your mental health. I started out last September at 16 stones 10 pounds, now I weigh 15 stones 2 pounds. For the first time in years I am going to the hairdressers later. Get ready for No Snack February, there's a few days to eat those biscuits ? or chocolate bar ?. Good luck and I hope I'm not on my own doing this! ?Xxx

Jalima Sun 05-Mar-17 17:20:10

Thanks, shysal, rolling the bottle sounds a good idea. I was given an exercise when I was a child of picking up pencils with my toes.

I need to do the exercises more regularly!!
Foam insoles sound wonderful but I can't add insoles as well as the orthotics.

shysal Sun 05-Mar-17 13:42:49

I tried rolling the underside of my foot on a frozen bottle of water several times a day, especially first thing in the morning. I can't say it worked really, but numbed it a bit. I also tried standing backwards on a step with my heel hanging over and pressed down. I couldn't say whether your pain is PF, Jalima, I seem to remember having a similar thing under the ball of my foot many years ago and it being given the same name, so maybe it applies to any area of the sole. I hope you find relief soon, it can be agony! I spent a fortune on various orthotics, foam insoles and special socks. The only thing that gave relief was the Heelease, but maybe it was going to improve by then anyway!

Jalima Sun 05-Mar-17 11:53:51

rubylady how are you, hope you're OK

Jalima Sun 05-Mar-17 11:46:51

I can't wear them, they are too flat and I need to take out the memory insole anyway to accommodate orthotic insoles which are causing more pain than they're relieving!.

Sunlover Sun 05-Mar-17 11:41:59

I suffered badly with PF a couple of years ago. It was so painful especially those first few steps in the morning. I tried everything. Physio, exercises, new shoes even dry needling! Eventually the pain subsided and then disappeared. It lasted about 9 months. I think as someone else has mentioned it does go away eventually but living with it is hard.
I also wear Go Walk shoes now. So comfy.

Jalima Sun 05-Mar-17 09:55:29

It sounds a bit similar to what the physio said and I also have to point down with my toes too (that is not for plantar faciitis btw). I have one of those stretchy bands to ease my foot forward.
Stand with one leg behind the other and bend the forward knee, stretching the one behind, again not specifically for p.I.

I suppose thinking about them doesn't have the same results hmm
Right, I'm off to do them smile

Norah Sun 05-Mar-17 00:19:26

I can't find a link or picture. What I was asked to do was lay flat on my back, in bed, whilst pressing my heels against the mattress as much as I can, I tip my toes towards my head (make sense?) and hold as long as I can. Rest. Do it 10 times or so, before getting up in the morning and when laying down at night. The duvet helps hold your toes up, if you tuck your duvet in at the bottom and pull it tight up at the top. If this is too confusing I can describe again.

Jalima Sat 04-Mar-17 22:55:00

I just had a quick look and they seem quite similar to the ones the physio gave me.
which I should do more regularly.

Jalima Sat 04-Mar-17 22:53:51

Yes please Norah
The exercises I have are to strengthen the ankle but it is my feet that are causing a problem now.

Or I could have a look online.

Norah Sat 04-Mar-17 19:34:04

I have a specific exercise that I do 2 times a day. It wouldn't hurt a person who didn't have the condition. But it does help me. I will look for a link if you'd like.

Jalima Sat 04-Mar-17 19:26:46

I have some physiotherapy exercises to do and am going to follow the ones Anya recommended too.
Is there a specific exercise for plantar faciitis? It has not been diagnosed though.

Norah Sat 04-Mar-17 19:17:17

Jalima Are you doing your exercises as often as you should? If I forget the exercise I'm worse for a few days.

Jalima Sat 04-Mar-17 19:07:48

I have just looked up plantar fasciitis and wonder if the pain can be felt underneath the foot in the arch area rather than the heel.
I am finding it agonising to walk at the moment, the podiatrist said that it is because I am using newly prescribed orthotics and everything is being pushed back into the correct place.
It is not improving at all.

shysal Sat 04-Mar-17 09:04:29

Do some squats while waiting for the kettle to boil!

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 12:26:31

Sketchers do some styles in a wider fit.

Try to commit to just 5 minutes every day Rowan - if you start off too ambitiously you'll start to look for excuses not to exercise. Try to make it the same time every day so it becomes a habit; just NOT after a meal though!!

shysal Fri 03-Mar-17 11:41:09

I have wide feet too. The Skechers are perhaps best tried on as the different styles have a slightly differing fit. They do sell wide fit on some 'catalogue' type sites; Very, Simply Be etc.
The shoes are so light and soft! I don't think I shall ever stop wearing them, even use some as slippers as softer than my old ones.
I do hope your heel clears up soon, but at least you know that it always heals in the end, usually after about a year! sad

Rowantree Fri 03-Mar-17 11:14:22

anya and shysal - my grateful thanks for your advice and support! I will persevere with the Heelease - your photos are helpful - and check the exercise link so I can work out a regime of my own. I was never good at regular exercise - at school I'd be more likely to be found in the sick bay with a 'migraine' when it was double PE - but needs must now. My father is having worrying symptoms of heart failure which I am really anxious about, and it's making me even more aware of how precious life is, and my responsibility to keep as healthy as I can.
Shoes: Have bought several pairs recently of trainers, walking shoes and so on - none glam, but bought with support and comfort in mind. However, the pain is still there. I will look into Sketchers but they look narrow and I have wide feet! I don't do glam anyway. It's never been 'me'! ;-)

shysal Fri 03-Mar-17 09:41:45

Rowan. P.S. have you tried Skechers Go Walk shoes with memory foam insoles? Not glamorous but I wore/wear nothing else now. I have 6 pairs of shoes and boots in various styles blush, bought from Ebay or Sports Direct. They are the only reason I was able to exercise or walk any distance at all with the fasciitis.

shysal Fri 03-Mar-17 08:50:58

Rowantree, I struggled with the Heelease strap too, eventually found a secure fit as in these photos. Place the strap around the foot, put end through the loop then backwards around the ankle and secure end to the Velcro on top of foot.
It took three goes a day for a few weeks before I felt the benefit. I hope if you persevere the same will happen for you.

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 08:14:01

PS I do balance exercises too. Just looked at the link I posted and there are some great ones on it,

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 08:11:53

Pretend you're stopping ...typo.

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 08:10:50

I found this Rowan Exercises for keeping strong as we age

Choose just a couple to start with from both upper and lower body.

Plus; Tummy strengthening.
Lie in your back with knees bent feet on ground. Tighten your tummy muscles and mentally count to 5. Release tummy muscles. Keeping your left knee bent straighten your right leg onto floor. Tighten tummy muscles for 5. Relax then straighten left leg so you now have both legs straight. Tighten for 5. Relax. Bend right leg and tighten for 5. Relax. Bend other leg so you're back to starting position and tighten for 5.
Repeat once more.
The muscles you need to concentrate on are your pelvic fooor ones. Pretend your stopping a wee mid stream and you'll get the idea.
Extend time until you can easily tighten for 9 secs.

The next exercise involves lifting bent legs off the ground. Best left until your core muscles are stronger.

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 07:55:46

Aqua aerobics is great exercise Rowantree

It would be hard to describe exactly how to do my exercises without writing a book! I'll browse the net for you and see if I can find some that might suit you and post a link smile

Rowantree Fri 03-Mar-17 07:43:54

Thanks, shysal, I hope it works too. It arrived yesterday and, true to form, I am struggling to work out how to wear it/attach the strap so it holds the device in place. I must be truly dim not to be able to follow simple instructions....

I used it for a while but so far it's not made any difference to my foot pain. Is it meant to be instant or cumulative?

Disappointingly too, only another pound lost this week, despite Hercuean efforts diet-wise. Do I have to resort to strong laxatives, emetics, starvation? I eat ONE SQUARE of dark chocolate most nights and only one - previously it'd have been a whole bar of Dairy Milk and then some, plus snacks, cakes and biscuits during the day with DH at coffee and tea time.
My diet is healthy and sensible with loads of veggies and fruit, so I am at a loss (!) to know why the weight isn't falling away by the stone.

I know it's healthy stuff I'm doing but it would be nice to have something to show for it!

Can't walk much ATM due to foot pain. Maybe I should try hopping.

How's everyone else doing with your New Healthy Lifestyles?

shysal Wed 01-Mar-17 15:03:37

I hope it works for you Rowantree. They promise a full refund if you are not pleased with it, so you can't lose really!
I hope your itching soon stops. I find Anthisan cream helps for bites, stings and any itch. It is sold at chemists and some supermarkets.
I sometimes make up an exercise circuit at home, using weights or cans of food for the arm ones and doing the sort of static exercises that Anya describes, or you could find more on You Tube, or do some of your Pilates moves. Do each exercise for 2 minutes and take a breather in between if you need to. Add to the routine as you get fitter. Play some music that you like at the same time. Good luck!