Gransnet forums

Health

So, I'm having a knee replacement...

(77 Posts)
NfkDumpling Thu 16-Feb-17 09:53:34

Yesterday, I took the plunge. My doctor had suggested a one off private appointment with a knee consultant to get his opinion on my knee as, although the waiting time for an NHS op isn't bad around here, actually getting on the list is somewhat of a challenge. Inevitably I've ended up using money from my Dementia Care Fund and am booked in at Spire hospital on 20 March. We are booked to go away on holiday on 25 April. In our caravan. For two weeks.

So I need advice from all you nice people who've had knee replacements. Will I be able to go? I know the 'van is comfortable enough (it's only a couple of years old and has all mod cons) and I should be able to manage the steps, but will the knee be healed up enough to not need dressing changed and stuff like that? Are there post op appointments which need to be kept? I assume I'll still be swinging along on crutches a lot of the time but I should have got the hang of them by then!

sehagarden Thu 02-Sep-21 09:51:09

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

ishitapbanerjee Wed 10-Jul-19 07:31:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

edwardfrancis Mon 22-Apr-19 11:40:57

More on this knee replacement surgery.
astermedcity.com/blog/Readmore/what-to-expect-from-a-knee-replacement-treatment/

Johndavidson Sun 25-Nov-18 09:54:33

A useful video for those about to have and those who have recently had a knee replacement
youtu.be/4AHdqlfJBIA

Jane10 Thu 20-Apr-17 06:42:14

Blimey I'm going to drink the stuff!

NfkDumpling Wed 19-Apr-17 22:22:49

It does smell nice - and according to the leaflet smooths wrinkles, fades blemishes and restores youth!

Jane10 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:04:32

Bio oil smells so nice too. I had given up on it as it didn't seem to make any difference apart from the scaly bits around my knee which reduced anyway as the swelling went down. Maybe I'll try again.

NfkDumpling Wed 19-Apr-17 20:59:14

Gosh, BGrannie I don't know if I'd have dared go for two at once! Respect!

I walked down to the chemist today. Only about 500 yards, but my first outing on my own with no stick, and the pharmacist recommended Bio oil. Not cheap, but already the scar feels much better and is no longer objecting every time I bend my knee. So I'll continue.

Auntieflo Wed 19-Apr-17 15:40:36

I used Bio Oil on my scar after TKR. Once the clips had been removed, and it was not tender to the touch, I massaged my knee morning and evening. I did pay particular attention to the ' knobbly' bits, and found it quite soothing, and you get into a routine. It is now nearly 18 months since the op. and I think the scars have faded well and are nice and flat.

Jane10 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:41:11

Wow! So brave doing both at once. Glad it sounds like you're doing well.smile

BGrannie1 Wed 19-Apr-17 10:05:26

Well done Nfk Dumpling It's such a scary thing to do! I knew that I would never have the courage to go back & have second knee done that I had them both done together three years ago! Changed my life for ever, thank goodness.

I used a Vaseline intensive care cream on my scars (once healed) and still use cream daily now. My scar split a little bit too, but it was only on the surface and nothing to worry about. My only piece of advice keep doing the exercises even when stiff & split, the more you rest them the stiffer they'll get, and quickly too! Little and often if they are stiff, set little goals and go for it! I found using my bike the single best thing for getting the bend back, it's electric so that helps when I get tired.

My scars are pretty faded now, but I'm proud of them because I'm such a coward and overcame fear to be able to walk again - if mine only last 10 years I'll be happy, don't expect I'll want to do 5+ mile walks when over 70, or maybe I will and still will, after all they won't hurt maybe squeak a bit?

Take care

Elrel Thu 13-Apr-17 22:48:18

My scar didn't split, I was recommended to use rosehip oil but am told bio oil and argon oil are also effective. Only use them on a closed scar as other posters have previously said. I hope it's soon supple and fading for you.

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Apr-17 20:21:21

Not split now. But still nervous!

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:50:42

But only after it healed! Not on a split scar.

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:49:58

I use some form of body lotion or oil on the scar every day after a shower or bath, years later now.

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:48:33

I think massaging a scar with oil helps. I was recommended to use Flexitol Oil.

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Apr-17 19:45:04

That would be good, the bit that split is particularly lumpy!

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:40:09

I had silicon strips for a scar years ago and it is supposed to flatten scars and keep them supple.

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Apr-17 19:11:34

No, I didn't put anything on the split. It's healed up nicely now, but I daren't bend the knee much so it's stiffened up and now I'm afraid to push it more than 90 degrees. It was going a lot further but now the scar really hurts if I push it. The scar is really dry (I feel at least two layers of skin have flaked off my whole legs were so dry!).

I think I'll toddle to the chemist tomorrow and see if I can get some Bio oil or similar. I'm just not used to asking the pharmacist but we've a new independent chemist opened nearby and he seems to have more time to help.

Jane10 Thu 13-Apr-17 16:16:39

I used Bio oil on the skin around my knee for a while as it was so dry and scaly but most certainly not on an unhealed scar. How scary that it splitshock!

Cold Thu 13-Apr-17 15:44:50

I used a special silicon gel on my scar that was especially for scars. I got it from the chemist

Jane10 Thu 13-Apr-17 13:39:50

Don't put anything on your scar!! Especially not if you have split it.

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Apr-17 11:02:39

Just had a go pedalling and it was ok - after the scar had got used to stretching again. Last week I managed to spilt it a bit, so I've been a bit nervous about pulling my heel back.

Has anyone any tips on what to use to moisturise the scar? It's really dry, which I suppose is why it opened up. I'd thought Argon Oil, but it said not to use on inflamed skin. I tried E45 cream this morning, it did sting a little and the scar still looks very dry.

Jane10 Thu 13-Apr-17 08:51:29

Glad to hear its going so well NFK. You're quite right about its being two steps forward one step back.
Onwards and upwards!

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Apr-17 07:45:24

Oh, and my consultant said he'd been doing replacements for over twenty years and had only re-done two in that time.