Gransnet forums

Health

What? sorry? Getting deaf!

(8 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 23-May-17 18:52:55

Thanks, everyone, exactly what I needed to know.

Luckygirl Mon 22-May-17 20:52:05

And I just stroll into SpecSavers when I am in town and get lots of free new batteries.

Luckygirl Mon 22-May-17 20:51:05

them

Luckygirl Mon 22-May-17 20:28:55

In our area SpecSavers is an agent of the NHS, so I went to my GP who referred me to them. I had an appointment within a few days, attended for a thorough free test and walked out an hour later with free hearing aids fitted and programmed to my needs; several packets of batteries and all the info I needed to look after my aids.

Your GP will refer you to the hospital or to SpecSavers, whichever is appropriate in your area.

I am quite vain so please be assured that if the NHS aids were ugly or obtrusive I would not be wearing the! They are small and lost in my hair. Many friends and family simply did not even notice that I had them for ages! They have changed my life!

grannypiper Mon 22-May-17 20:23:08

My Dad is so deaf and finally after years of nagging at him he has just paid £1,500 for hearing aids. He has had 3 sets from nhs that were so large and heavy he couldn't cope with them.He feels guilty at spending the money ! but i wish he had done it years ago as he has missed out on so much.

mollie Mon 22-May-17 19:38:47

I went to Boots who tested me, declared I needed hearing aids then offered some very expensive aids which I couldn't afford. I spoke to my doctor who pointed me towards the NHS audiology department (no referral needed) and within a month I had a pair of aids with batteries and cleaning bits and bobs totally free. They are great, make a difference to my daily life and are totally invisible despite me wearing my hair very short. When I need new batteries I make a call and they are sent out. An excellent service!

phoenix Mon 22-May-17 19:26:55

Definitely start with your GP, watermeadow, they will (should) arrange an appointment with an audiologist, who will offer free, impartial advice!

If you do find you need hearing aids, then you will get them on the NHS, if you don't like the ones offered, then of course you're free to pay for private ones, but start on the NHS route!

watermeadow Mon 22-May-17 19:18:20

I'm definitely going deaf and it's getting to be a nuisance. I hear some voices well but not if people mumble or speak too fast or if there's background noise.
Should I go to Spec Savers for a hearing test or the doctor? If I need hearing aids are they on the NHS or hideously expensive?
My ten year old dog has the same problem.