Gransnet forums

Health

Tramadol

(65 Posts)
petra Mon 19-Jun-17 17:51:33

I've just been reading that Ant ( of And & Dec fame) is addicted to Tramadol. Now Lorraine Kelly has admitted that she found it a ' very seductive drug'
Two weeks ago I was prescribed Tramadol (100mg) They helped a little but certainly didn't stop the pain so my Dr added 600mg ibuprofen to help. That did the trick.
I certainly haven't experienced the euphoria that they have, has anyone else?
I could have done with a bit of euphoria in the past couple of weeks grin

JaneJudge Fri 13-Aug-21 16:58:39

I am susceptible to opioid addiction too. I get withdrawal from codeine fgs even if I have only taken a couple of doses. My GP advises my not to take any at all but codeine seems to be the only thing that will touch my migraines

harrigran Fri 13-Aug-21 16:53:21

I was given one tramadol after my morphine drip was discontinued, I was as high as a kite for hours then started vomiting which was dreadful as I had just had major abdominal surgery. I managed with just paracetamol after that, never wanted to experience that feeling again.

Curlywhirly Fri 13-Aug-21 16:06:25

My son had tramadol for a couple of weeks after a knee operation and was quite impressed with it, it obviously helped with the pain and he had no side effects. However, our dog was prescribed it after an operation and the poor thing was in a right state - she was like a zombie and her eyes were so strange, like there was nobody there (very hard to describe). She cried and whimpered the whole night. I stopped the tramadol after that and only gave her paracetamol, which she has no problem with. Personally, I would never take it, I have heard too many stories about it.

loubielou32 Fri 13-Aug-21 11:53:24

I take tramadol because I have arthritis in my back and degenerative disk disease, one in the morning and one at night with amitryptilene so I can rest properly. They help me to start moving each day. I was also prescribed gabapentin and pregabalin which I found much more difficult to stop but they gave me hallucinations and nightmares. If you have chronic pain you’ll try anything, for me, tramadol has been a great help, but if you abuse any drug it can be addictive, whether it’s opiates, alcohol, tobacco, caffeine even exercise stimulates endorphins which opiates mimic.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 13-Aug-21 11:42:14

I can’t take ibuprofen either for nearly the same reason

Juliet27 Thu 12-Aug-21 08:41:13

After a hip operation I was given oramorph but it didn’t take the pain away and made me feel nauseous. It’s ibuprofen that works for me but they wouldn’t allow it as I’d been given an anti clotting tablet and ibuprofen would thin the blood further apparently. It does seem, as someone has said here, people react differently to medications. With any painkiller I need Senna too!!

olddudders Thu 12-Aug-21 08:28:33

A timely message on this thread prompted DW Ashcombe to pass on the link.

From time to time my back gives up, invariably due to abuse in one form or another. In this case I think I stretched across the mower to adjust something, while holding onto the handle that keeps the motor running. A couple of days later the pain began. It makes me shout loudly. I had been prescribed Tramadol previously and have a pile of out-of-date tabs. The first few doses were indeed a bit floaty-making, but as I wasn't driving I quite enjoyed it. I had no nausea, but constipation looms. Dosage is up to 8 per day, 37.5mg Tramadol in a tab with 325mg of paracetamol.

After being taken to A&E in the small hours today, where I had a 20-minute drip, apparently of valium, I now have a prescription that includes Tramadol, for quite a period - my friend has the prescription and will get it fulfilled today. I have also to get an MRI scan done.

FannyCornforth Thu 12-Aug-21 07:05:32

I’m on Tramodol for chronic pain, and also Pregabalin for nerve pain.
The are both opioids and controlled drugs, you can only have one month’s prescription at a time.
I can fully understand how one could become addicted to them.
They are also used off label for severe anxiety. I have been diagnosed as having Generalised Anxiety Disorder, so for me, I suppose, they are the ‘perfect drug’.
User - my cat has been prescribed Gabapentin to sedate her prior to grooming.
(She recently went a bit ott at the vets hmm)
I haven’t tried her with it yet.

User7777 Wed 11-Aug-21 23:04:57

If you really want euphoria, take Gabapentin. My white dog was green, as were the walls. The garden kept moving like a animated Salvador Dali painting

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-Aug-21 21:32:53

I tried Ttamadol for fibro and upper back pain, didn’t do anything for me but make me sleep. Now take liquid morphine, just 5mg in a day when needed, works a treat.

Shelbel Wed 11-Aug-21 20:42:18

I saw my doctor yesterday for my meds and check up. I asked his opi ion on Tramadol and he said codeine is much more addictive. He also said that it works well for my fibro and if I am able to reduce my dose when I'm having a better time then I'm not addicted and should not worry about it. He monitors how many I'm using ofc. I think that it depends on your body make up and if it works well for you without too many side effects then OK. I also think that it's one that a lot of people abuse or overuse. That's their fault not the drug. I woukd find it very difficult to live a normal life without it because of widespread chronic pain.

Lincslass Tue 10-Aug-21 20:03:32

Ana

600mg Ibuprofen in one dose? That sounds a lot.

I've never had Tramadol, but wouldn't recommend Oramorph (liquid morphine) as although it works well on pain it made me very depressed.

Dr can prescribe 600 mgs up to 4 times a day , if needed, under certain circumstances, and under medical supervision.

Redhead56 Tue 10-Aug-21 19:56:50

They are also named Zydol they are addictive opioids.

SueDonim Tue 10-Aug-21 15:46:52

No one in my family has had Tramadol, that I’m aware of, but my cat was prescribed it after an operation. Having seen the effects on him, that’ll be a ‘no’ from me! Poor creature could barely put one foot in front of the other, he kept falling over and we had to hand feed him and lift him in and out of his litter tray. I don’t fancy that at all. ?

Dinahmo Tue 10-Aug-21 15:26:10

Over a year ago, I think, I asked on here about ways of dealing with pain because my DH was suffering from PHN following shingles. 2 1/2 years later he is still suffering after a whole range of treatment and medications none of which worked. The first was tramadol which just made him slightly dizzy but no pain relief. apparently there are some people for who pain relief medication just doesn't work and he is one of them.

Luckily the end of pain may be in sight. He saw a professor of neurosurgery who is planning to fit a spinal cord stimulator. He has to have a MRI scan to make sure that he doesn't have scoliosis or fluid around the spine. If that's OK he'll get the implant. This device emits mild electric pulses to the spine.

We know someone who had one of these 7 years ago and tells us that it's the best thing he's ever had. So I would recommend that anyone suffering from long term pain looks into the SCS and see if it might work for them.

GagaJo Tue 10-Aug-21 15:07:23

Horrible pills. Make me really sick.

nanna8 Tue 10-Aug-21 15:02:43

Never heard of it (tramadol). Perhaps they don’t have it here.

Shelbel Tue 10-Aug-21 14:58:59

I have Fibromyalgia and Polyarthritis, thus chronic pain. I have been on tramadol for 7 years with no problems. They are quite effective for Fibro and I've never had any Euphoria from them. I don't thi k I'm addicted as I don't take them when I'm having better times and less pain.

Redhead56 Thu 08-Jul-21 19:18:06

I could not take morphine after hip replacement. I was prescribed Tramadol but refused them I knew about them from friends. I was in so much pain after the op but still refused them.

Kali2 Thu 08-Jul-21 18:58:20

It is indeed a very strong drug and morphine/opiate- so not to be messed around with. If you sold them on the street, you'd be called a Dealer and severely punished. And certainly should never ever be taken to lose weight.

Lin52 Thu 08-Jul-21 18:46:25

Tramadol is a narcotic opioid, and is morphine based, used for severe and chronic pain, so very liable to become addicted to them. Should be monitored by GP, have been prescribed it for severe shoulder pain, but as a ex nurse, wouldn’t stay on it for long, and it didn’t really help. Would hope people are advised about this, and why it should be monitored.

pinkquartz Thu 08-Jul-21 18:31:51

I take Tramadol and find it very helpful at reducing pain from Fibro and OsteoArthritis.

In my experience the most evil pain relief is Pregabalin which is also abused by people who want to take drugs.
Pregabalin changed my personailty, put on huge amounts of weight and was really hard to come off of.

We all react differently is the truth.

What I don't understand is I have friends in Canada who use Medical Cannabis for pain but we are not allowed to.
Why not?
It is grown here and money is made but we can't have it.

I would prefer to take a plant than the chemicals I am offered.

FlexibleFriend Thu 08-Jul-21 17:40:15

It did nothing for me, I'm now on morphine and still in a lot of pain.

tanith Thu 08-Jul-21 17:36:55

I was prescribed it for back pain my GP told me to take two but I only took one thank goodness. I slept for 16 hrs DH was about to call an ambulance when I finally roused and was promptly sick for hours, never again and I can’t take codeine either. After my hip surgery they couldn’t stop me being sick for ages even though I had anti-sickness meds, I felt so sorry for my bedfellows in the ward.

Hellogirl1 Thu 08-Jul-21 17:32:50

I can`t take Tramadol, it makes me physically sick. Hardly any painkillers work for me, unfortunately, except Oromorph, that was wonderful, but I stopped asking for it as I didn`t want to get addicted.