Gransnet forums

Health

Is obesity a class thing?

(113 Posts)
RosieLeah Fri 14-Jul-17 06:45:28

We are told a lot about the dangers of obesity, and quite right too. (We are talking about the seriously overweight, not mere plumpness). I have noticed though, that it seems to be those lower down the social scale that have this problem. It is obviously not a question of money, as the people are clearly able to afford to buy plenty of food. It seems that it is all a question of pride in oneself. People who are obese choose to be so. Our weight is one of the few things we can control. I'm trying to be diplomatic here and not cause offence, but I think you can see what I'm implying. I know that depression can cause some people to over-eat, then being overweight causes more depression and you get into a cycle. I'm just wondering whether I'm correct in thinking that those who are obese and are careless about their appearance tend to be from the lower classes in our society.

Anniebach Fri 14-Jul-17 09:45:02

Depression doesn't recognise social class or wealth

TerriBull Fri 14-Jul-17 09:45:14

I was slim right up to my mid forties when I was diagnosed with under active thyroid, coupled with the menopause kicking in mid fifies with all the delights that has to offer. I am heavier than I would like to be now. I do exercise and eat sensibly (most of the time) but as discussed on previous threads on GN, there was a consensus that thyroxine does not restore energy levels. I envy those who stay slim as they age, my husband has kept the pounds off playing golf three times a week which involves a lot of walking. Certain conditions it seems contribute to weight gain as indeed some lucky souls' genetic make-up keep them slim without trying envy

TerriBull Fri 14-Jul-17 09:46:43

I am sorry Anniebach flowers you have suffered some crushing losses in your life.

DevilsDumplings Fri 14-Jul-17 09:48:05

I think you are patronising and ignorant. Obesity isn't class dependant in my opinion.

harrigran Fri 14-Jul-17 09:48:18

When we age it becomes more difficult to shift the extra weight, metabolism slows down and we are less active. I played badminton into my 60s and walked everywhere but now I am fat and lumpy due to inactivity following major surgery.

Anniebach Fri 14-Jul-17 09:51:08

Terry X I blame my mother for giving birth to me on a Wednesday !

Welshwife Fri 14-Jul-17 09:51:22

I think that one of the basic reasons is that so many people have no idea how to start cooking themselves a meal. There are now few schools giving proper cookery lessons - it did become food technology and all sorts of things went on and were discussed with very little actual cooking. It is also a generation thing - I grew up in a house where my mother was a good cook and was interested in cooking - she could also follow a recipe - you need to understand some cookery terms.
DH's youngest DS has a partner who never had cookery lessons at. School and her mother never cooked - she has no idea where to start - but as she has enjoyed some meals she has eaten with us she is interested to have a go at making them herself - so I have obliged and shown her. However she has never eaten vegetables or much fruit - says no but if questioned as to whether she has tried a certain thing the answer is usually no but she is loathe to take a chance and try something new!
Take aways are death to slimness as the sauces are very high calorie unfortunately. Also if you look at shopping trollies these people - often through necessity of needing easy to cook food which you just pop on a tray in the oven - are eating high calorie stuff instead of more slimline vegetables etc.
Experience of life and what goes on in a kitchen probably has more to do with it - all the younger family members who grew up with meals coming from veg which needed washing and cooking still seem to continue that way when they grow up.

Bring back basic cooking and DOMESTIC SCIENCE lessons I say!

rosesarered Fri 14-Jul-17 09:51:28

Yes, ab depression can cause either over eating or eating too little.
Terri I have the thyroid problem now and would prefer the energy over the weight gain, although I don't like that much either!

TerriBull Fri 14-Jul-17 10:04:56

roses I think there are loads of us on GN with under active thyroid, as it affects women of a certain age, yes some days I'd give my right arm for more energy.

Annie I had to look up Wednesday child and I see it's "full of woe", well replace that with "Wednesday Child is full of Wales" - the aliteration is still there but it's a better connotation, especially for you smile but make sure it's full of Wales as opposed to full of wails grin which is just as bad as being full of woe!

MissAdventure Fri 14-Jul-17 10:05:10

I think it quite telling that my friend recently bought a cauliflower in the supermarket and had to tell the girl at the checkout what it was so that she could key it in and find the price..

FarNorth Fri 14-Jul-17 10:06:05

Rosie Leah, if you are a lower class person living in a deprived area (your own description, in case anyone hasn't read all the posts), what ideas do you have about this subject, from your knowledge of your friends and neighbours?

aggie Fri 14-Jul-17 10:10:06

My Dad and his siblings regarded them selves as upper class and were extremely tubby , Mum wasn't just as posh and stick thin . I am definitely fat , in spite of my efforts , I did one of those slimming clubs and lost 2 lb in a year sad D D went at the same time and lost 7 1/2 stone ! It is a mystery

annodomini Fri 14-Jul-17 10:15:18

Two years ago my rheumatologist informed me that I was obese, so I must have been of a lower class. Now I am not obese, may I please rejoin the middle class?

Nannylovesshopping Fri 14-Jul-17 10:17:06

The mothers who walk past my house to go to school who are holding their children's hands and chatting quietly are generally slim, if I were being judgemental, I would refer to as "classy" the others, whose children are allowed to run, scream, are being told to f...... come back here you little s... are generally very large and showing vast amounts of flesh, not a good look, I would say are "not classy" it depends on how class is viewed, if indeed at all

FarNorth Fri 14-Jul-17 10:33:26

I am not keen on cooking but also don't want to eat rubbishy ready meals.
I often use a bag of ready-prepared veg which I bung in the microwave for a few mins, as directed on the bag, meanwhile whipping up some instant mash to go with it.
Tasty and healthy(ish)!

Jane10 Fri 14-Jul-17 11:05:47

Oh dear now I'm confused. As you all know I'm extremely posh. How on earth is it that I'm such a chubster? I'll need to tell cook and the kitchen staff to stop shopping at those special stores that only stock lower class food.
Must waddle off to watch the polo. grin

Ilovecheese Fri 14-Jul-17 11:10:34

Jane10 Great post!

Primrose65 Fri 14-Jul-17 11:27:29

www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/23/fact-checking-obesity-poverty-link

TriciaF Fri 14-Jul-17 11:30:08

I believe that to stay slim we need to spend a lot of time planning meals, shopping for them and cooking them. It's a lot of work, and time consuming. Whether being willing and able to do this is class related I don't know.
But on top of that I think genetics comes into it Both my parents were skinny, and going back too.

MissAdventure Fri 14-Jul-17 11:37:54

I suppose there is the cost of good food to take into consideration? I know the argument about preparing reasonable, healthy food from scratch, but a bag of frozen chips and a pizza is much more convenient and cheaper, I'm guessing?

BlueBelle Fri 14-Jul-17 11:42:51

I rather think Rosie is having a few wind up threads for a newbie

Anniebach Fri 14-Jul-17 12:10:08

I like that Terri grin. And so true X

Anniebach Fri 14-Jul-17 12:17:33

a bag of chips is more comforting than a couple of sticks of celery . If depressed which to choose - a packet of biscuits or pop off to the shops for fruit, blend and drink

ninny Fri 14-Jul-17 13:11:22

I don't think Rosie is trying to wind anyone up although if you are fat she probably is winding you up unintentionally.

ninny Fri 14-Jul-17 13:23:45

Nannylovesshopping how true, I see it all the time when I am out and about.