Gransnet forums

Health

Vaginal Cancer

(10 Posts)
farview Wed 02-Aug-17 18:06:27

one of my friends who was diagnosed with anal cancer in January..had surgery and a colostomy bag...bad enough..yesterday had to have all her vagina removed...Id never ever heard of that and I just cant cope with the thought of it..breaks my heart what shes had to go through..

TriciaF Wed 02-Aug-17 18:15:17

It does sound horrific, farview.
And it seems that cancer is much more common these days. If that's right, why is it?

farview Wed 02-Aug-17 18:23:45

I dont know*TriciaF*friends and myself were saying earlier that there seem to be FAR more cancers now...

Greyduster Wed 02-Aug-17 19:19:11

farview my heart goes out to her. Will they offer her reconstructive surgery, do you think?

farview Wed 02-Aug-17 19:26:37

yes*Greyduster*but dont think she will.she has been through so much...not sure if I would either..tough one!

Ambergirl Wed 02-Aug-17 19:33:04

I think the reason there seems to be more cancer is because diagnosis is better these days and there are more screening programmes. People are also encouraged to see the Dr earlier. There are life style behaviours that contribute to the increase as well, but years ago it just wasn't diagnosed. Also on the whole people are living longer, and the longer you live this increases the risk of you developing some form of cancer. That said, many more people DON'T develop cancer. Thankfully research and health care are there, and survival rates are increasing all of the time. None of this helps your poor friend farview, but having a friend to talk to and share this awful journey I am sure is a comfort....

TriciaF Thu 03-Aug-17 10:27:24

That's probably the reason, Ambergirl.
Plus it's not so long ago that people wouldn't even say the word 'cancer'. So the patient wouldn't mention it to their family.

Sparklefizz Thu 03-Aug-17 10:45:46

I have had breast cancer twice. It's not in the family, I don't have the gene, but just to lift the mood, I have been clear for 19 years. If caught early, the survival rates can be good. I wish the same for everyone, and I do appreciate how very lucky I have been. Hooray for the NHS, even though I moan as much as the next person.

Farview I wish your friend all the very best with her recovery.

Ambergirl Thu 03-Aug-17 20:36:18

Indeed Sparklefizz Hooray for research, progress and the NHS. How wonderful for you.....My dear friend also had breast cancer which was caught early and was successfully treated.....So the important thing as always is to seek help early and remain positive....

farview Thu 03-Aug-17 21:46:19

Thank you..all of you...but I think..this cancer is particularly horrific....had my BEST friend die from breast cancer...BUT this friend..vaginal cancer...its soooo sad..she truly feels her femininity has gone...bless her...✨