Gransnet forums

Health

Hearing Aids

(6 Posts)
CGILLIGA Fri 18-Aug-17 16:35:12

Hi, I work at Amplifon. Here is what one of our Audiologists had to say.
Dexterity, as with other issues which make using hearing aids more difficult, needs to be subject to a personalised assessment. It depends on how disabling this lady’s arthritis is but choosing the right fitting style, perhaps with adaptations, is important. Battery changing is also important to consider. You may be reassured by knowing that we provide free trials after assessment as we have much more choice of hearing aid systems and we have the willingness to spend time trying to make the fitting as easy and successful as possible. Please do not hesitate if you have any further queries. Visit our website: www.amplifon.com

franjess2000 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:29:08

You should have a local association that can advise her. Here in Kent we have HI Kent
www.hikent.org.uk/

Who do advice on hearing aids, care and other equipment to support. You should have something similar where you are

sunnym Mon 14-Aug-17 10:19:15

P.s there's also this type that lets you adjust the volume for each ear

www.amazon.co.uk/Hearing-Aid-Adjustable-Sound-Amplifier/dp/B0154RSRL2/ref=pd_sbs_107_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ND4Z435X4TVHKC4KNNTA&tag=gransnetforum-21

sunnym Mon 14-Aug-17 10:15:36

Hi Daffodil07
This type of hearing amplifier might be worth considering...

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Headphones-Earphones/Sonic-SuperEar-SE7500-Personal-Amplifier-Discreet-Earbuds/B000U7XJO2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502701895&sr=8-3&keywords=hearing+amplifier&tag=gransnetforum-21

grannygranby Sun 13-Aug-17 10:54:17

Dear daffodil07 I do feel for you I went through the same with my mum. She lived alone and cheerfully independent but in her mid nineties things changed. In the end she had a fall, was found a couple of days later because her phone was always engaged so a cousin visited to check. None of us lived very nearby. I lived 250 miles away. She was in hospital for a few months then I was able to get her up here near me in a nursing home where I could visit her every day. I tried all kinds of hearing aids but she found them annoying. What we would do to restore their senses. It's strange I don't think I could have got her to move f it hadn't been for the accident. And I am so grateful that I had the chance to see her every day in her last year. So that is not a direct answer to your question but an empathetic hand. I hope you are nearby and can see her regularly, the nineties are so tough. Big hug to you and your mum. And good luck with the speaker system - it might well help. Time to dig deep xx and if she is an independent soul used to being in control it is very hard. And there but......

daffodil07 Sat 12-Aug-17 18:37:43

My mum is 97 years still lives alone but has terrible problems with her hearing aids. Due to her age she has lost the feeling in her finger tips and has arthritis in both hands so consequently has trouble inserting her aids and the NHS does not seem to have any answers. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Amplifon for hearing aids. They are very expensive but could they help her, is it worth investigating?