Gransnet forums

Health

Osteoporosis Medication

(13 Posts)
HootyMcOwlface Mon 21-Aug-17 13:35:32

Ooo that all sounds very painful Marydoll you poor thing. I hope your headache goes soon too. I get lots of headaches so I have no idea if the tablets cause one, but I will take extra note to see if one coincides with taking the tablets in future.

Marydoll Mon 21-Aug-17 12:57:01

It's pain, isn't it, but no choice in the matter. sad
I fractured my spine in two places, I've broken my foot and toes umpteen times, but I'm still here! grin
I'm just feeling a bit fed up about it all, so please just ignore my moaning.
BlueBelle (The real one) I'm not looking for sympathy, but I was sure there would be others, who understood. GN is so good for that. smile I was right, so thanks all who posted replies.
It's one of those "hidden" disabilities we all talk about.
I have had fantastic care from NHS Scotland and I am so grateful for that, as I know it isn't the same everywhere in the country.

HootyMcOwlface Mon 21-Aug-17 12:54:19

I've been on Alendronic Acid & vit D & calcium tablets for nearly two years now and due a review in November. When I first went on them the Dr said I'd only have to take them for a year, then said carry on for another when I went back. I was hoping to be able stop them soon as my hair seems to be coming out quite a bit more than usual when I wash it now. Will it stop do you think if I can come off the meds? I am worried i will have bald patches soon!

I hate taking the tablets and often forget with all the rules about not taking with certain foods!

BlueBelle Mon 21-Aug-17 12:28:04

Luckygirl I was also nearly put off by the list of bad things going to happen to me but honestly I just felt a bit fluey the next day then absolutely fine it's well worth it They told me they will give me a yearly infusion for three years then retest they told me the vitD and calcium I was taking wouldn't touch the edges
Marydoll I m the original ?
I was told you shouldn't take the oral meds long term only for a few years, 20 sounds very long term My friend was on 10 years and they were horrified when she mentioned it and took her straight off

Anya Mon 21-Aug-17 12:24:35

Lucky consider also taking a Vit K2 supplement.

Here is a summary, but there are other articles on how this helps calcium build new bone

Luckygirl Mon 21-Aug-17 11:57:03

I could not take the alendronic acid - heartburn etc. - so just take calcium and vit D now. I was offered a 6 monthly injection but the side effects list the consultant reeled off was as long as your arm and I didn't fancy any of them for 6 months; so just the calcium etc now. I suppose I ought to ask for a Dexa at some point.

mcem Mon 21-Aug-17 11:47:19

I'm currently having a 2 year break with a DEXA scan due next summer. Hoping I don't have to go back on the risendronate as, like Mary I hated it! I'm also in Scotland but don't need annual scans.

Marydoll Mon 21-Aug-17 10:43:11

I too am in Scotland. I have it annually, as I have other serious conditions. It used to be every two years, but I have been very unwell in the last few years, so my bone density needs to be monitored more frequently.
I am indeed very fortunate in the care I receive.

jollyg Mon 21-Aug-17 10:22:22

You are lucky to have a dexa scan annually! Im told every 5th year

I too have the intavenous infusion once a year, and dont feel any difference after.

Im under NHS scotland if that makes any difference.

Marydoll Mon 21-Aug-17 09:31:07

They suggested that a few years ago and then decided not to, as density had stabilised and I could have a break after twenty years on it. I hate taking those meds. Out of all the ones I take, that's the worst.
Now it's low again and I'm having a dexa scan annually.
I have the bone clinic next month and will be able to discuss it then. I won't be taking anymore of it!
Thanks for replying,
By the way, which Bluebelle are you? grin.

BlueBelle Mon 21-Aug-17 09:23:52

Marydoll I was not able to take the oral medication for Oseoperosis so I am sent once a year for three years to the hospital for an infusion straight into my body it takes 15 mins and apart from feeling a bit fluey the next day it was as easy as pie after three years they will do another bone density scan and see if it needs to continue or not

Charleygirl Mon 21-Aug-17 09:05:51

I would pop in and have a word with your local pharmacy ASAP.

Marydoll Mon 21-Aug-17 08:50:48

After having a "holiday" from Fosamax/Alendronate for osteoporosis , I have once more been prescribed it.
However, on the last two occasions after taking it, having never previously experienced any side effects, I developed a blinding headache and a feeling of pressure behind my eye. It was really unpleasant.Has anyone ever experienced side effects from this medication?
I will be seeing my GP anyway this week, so I am going to mention it.