Gransnet forums

Health

Hair loss

(72 Posts)
tanith Thu 24-Aug-17 09:18:46

Any recommendations for products that have helped with hair loss? My hair is falling out at a rate of knots I had a major surgery 4mths ago so that could be the cause or stress from DHs health issues also a contributing factor at this rate I'll be the bald one in the house ?
Anyone tried Plantur shampoo?

SussexGirl60 Thu 24-Aug-17 12:17:05

It sounds like stress is part of the picture. I'm a homeopath and treat people with this...you could maybe see someone local for some treatment, if you're into alternative or holistic therapies.

GrannieAnnie2 Thu 24-Aug-17 12:20:28

I used a product called Hairburst from Boots. Took it for 3 months and def noticed new hair growth. It's a mineral/vitamin supplement (I also take Vit D prescribed by GP). These days I take an Over 50+ Vit, 2 Magnesium+Calcium and a Tumeric capsule everyday and my hair is maintaining it's thickness. As most people have said, Stress is terrible for whatever reason and often it's just a matter of time. Hopefully, when things settle down, your hair will get back to normal. Wishing you all the best.

Stella14 Thu 24-Aug-17 12:39:00

If it's stress related, rather than putting products on your head, it's more likely to respond to a psychological approach. I recommend Mindfulness. There is a lot of information online about it and many good self-help books.

It's worth bearing in mind though that this problem is also just a part of getting older. My hair also comes out in handfuls when wash it. Thankfully, I haven't been ill and I am not stressed.

tanith Thu 24-Aug-17 12:39:21

Thanks for every suggestion, I've decided stressing about it will only make it worse, I'll see if I get some regrowth soon if not I will mention it to my GP although I had blood tests not long ago so I'm not anaemic . Charleygirl I'm sure you're right about the cause it's just a case of patience I'm sure .

Serkeen Thu 24-Aug-17 12:45:25

Pantene is brilliant it thickens the hair and it is quick working too, you will notice the difference straight away.

Poly580 Thu 24-Aug-17 13:39:51

Tabitha, I suffer from an underactive Thyroid. There are lots of side effects and one of them is my hair. My hair was really thin from shedding and I had no leg or underarm hair. I started to use a supplement from the health shop called Selenium and after a few months I had fresh hair growth and nails...couldn't believe it. I also went to my GP who sent me for a full blood panel. I was vit D deficient and the treatment for that is to load your system with the vitamin and then one tablet daily. I am so happy with my hair now, I also have hair on legs and arms again. Bloods will also show if it's hormonal.
So don't stress, you just need to find the cause. I would start with getting your bloods done. You can take 200g of Selenium daily but I started on 50g. They are really cheap from Holland and Barrett. Would be interesting to see if you have any other symptoms because if you have and it's thyroid related then the last thing you want to do is as more chemical products into the mix. Let's know how you get on and good luck x

mags1234 Thu 24-Aug-17 13:45:45

I've tried most products with no great results. Could u get a weave type thing, or decent hair extensions? No cheap answer.

cc Thu 24-Aug-17 14:09:10

Biotin did nothing for me either.

Diggingdoris Thu 24-Aug-17 14:13:27

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm afraid to look at the brush some days as I am losing so much and getting very thin on top. I've made a note of all the products mentioned and will give some a try. Dr did a test for thyroid last last year and it was ok. I have lots of stress with DH struggling post-stroke.

cc Thu 24-Aug-17 14:20:43

I noted on Gransnet a few months ago that the hay fever drug Loratadine could cause hair loss. Since I was taking that constantly I wondered if that was my problem and stopped taking it. I've definitely got regrowth now but I think that this is as likely to be due to seasonal factors - more exercise, better health and more sun in the the summer months.

I've also been taking Perfectil (mainly to try to improve my nails) which may have had an effect as it contains most of the supplements mentioned by other posters.

patriciageegee Thu 24-Aug-17 14:24:41

Bit of a bonkers homemade treatment but it seems to be working for me...in a pestle & mortar grind up a couple of tablespoons of used coffee grounds until fine add a teaspoon turmeric and one of cinnamon then mix the lot with coconut oil until it forms a paste then apply to thinning areas and leave on as long as poss before washing out. Can't guarantee it will work for everyone but worth a go and cheap too lol!

VIOLETTE Thu 24-Aug-17 14:33:26

I was also going to suggest getting a test on your thyroid done ...throughout three years of chemo I never lost any hair ...but in the last year since it ended, I am losing it really fast ..and I hate it ! I take Levothyrox medication from my doctor, but although it is supposed to also be beneficial in slowing hair loss, I have seen no difference in nearly a year ...trying to find Pantene in shower conditioner here in France, with no luck so far ...supposed to thicken, or give the illusion of thicker, hair ........has anyone tried that ? I think it is fairly new ..there was an article about it in a magazine this month ?

dianetheartist Thu 24-Aug-17 15:10:48

my hair went very thin after being on high does of steroids for Polymyalgia,,, I started taking 10,000 mg Biotin that I had from Amazon.. My hair has come back lovely -thick and its now curly too. My friend had alopecia and lost 95 % of her hair-she stated taking it and her hair grew back quickly..mu hubby is also sprouting some on his bald patch on top..

mrsrwalsh Thu 24-Aug-17 15:56:59

I've been taking Viviscal tablets for the last month after seeing it highly recommended by a lady online. It's expensive, over £70 for 3 months supply, but it seems to be doing the trick and I don't have loads of hair coming out on my comb any more.
Good luck to you.

Gayliamelon1 Thu 24-Aug-17 16:18:15

Every two years my hair falls out in great thick strands/hanks. I can see thick strands slithering into the bath when it is washed .
I've accepted it happens. Sometimes acceptance is the only answer. It happens to me through health problems/medication and stress. I'm not interested in which one causes it because they are all connected and unavoidable. (I have multiple sclerosis ).
Then I'm left with minimal hair. It grows again to normal , thick healthy and curly.
Than falls out again.
My vitamin levels are spot on, monitored by weekly blood tests for one of my health problems.
I'm stuffed full of prescribed supplements including vitamin D.
Nothing works to restore growth.
Best I've found is to use the many hair volume boost products .

carol58 Thu 24-Aug-17 16:18:29

I've had several occasions when mine thinned. Chemo, multiple surgeries (anaesthetic is a real culprit) & a major family trauma. On each occasion I've taken probiotics, multivitamin & mineral supplements and paid special attention to my diet. Lots of fresh fruit & veg, lean meat & plenty of nuts & seeds. After a couple of months my hair started to thicken again. Not a huge believer in miracle shampoos but they may help, who knows?

JanaNana Thu 24-Aug-17 17:30:19

Vitamin B3 (Niacin). Foods containing this vitamin play a big part in hair growth. Has your diet changed much recently, that could explain it in part. Stress can also add to this happening. I would look at your diet first before buying any hair products as it could be to do with that. You can buy this vitamin as a food supplement at health food shops. You could ask at your GPs to have a blood test just in case you are deficient in anything that could be the cause.

Tallyann1 Thu 24-Aug-17 18:07:00

My Dil who lost her hair to crowns swears by planter..give it a try tanith..good luck ?

Bamm Thu 24-Aug-17 18:12:58

Good idea to get thyroid checked, also make sure that you are eating enough first class protein. I have found that the Phylia De M range ( Clean, Condition, Connect ) from Victoria Health online really seems to work. Very expensive but gentle on the scalp and hair. Makes the hair look thicker and I experienced new growth within a few months.

Helmsley444 Thu 24-Aug-17 18:54:14

Check your thyroid as this makes hair fall outIve had hashimotes thyroiditus since 1997.
Ive also used plantuer shampoo and its very good though very expensive. I wish you look but stress is a killer as i noto my cost

Poly580 Thu 24-Aug-17 19:22:45

Just remembered that my GP thought I was taking Sertraline for depression ( I wasn't). He said a side effect of Sertraline was hair loss. So if anyone was taking that they could maybe switch to an alternative.

paddyann Thu 24-Aug-17 19:44:52

someone recommended Kelp tablets to me ,I only took them for a week though as they made me queasy,but worth a try

Victoria08 Thu 24-Aug-17 20:35:18

I also have thinning hair and have just started using Plantur shampoo, so am hoping to see some improvement.

I have tried all sorts of remedies and shampoos, vitamin tablets, etc, but nothing seems to have made any difference.
I take a daily vitamin D tablet because I am an oldie and need the extra benefit that this can supposedly give me.

As for yoga, Pilates, walks in the park etc. I have been practising yoga for years and it certainly hasn't made a blind bit of difference to the state of my hair.

I think one's hair thins with age. Unless you are dead lucky in the gene department.

Niobe Thu 24-Aug-17 21:42:26

I found my hair getting thinner too and it was down to the statin I had been prescribed. A change of statin helped and my hair actually got much thicker when I ditched the hair dye. Would rather have thick grey hair than thin, dark hair.

kwest Thu 24-Aug-17 22:42:01

I use Nioxin 4 shampoo and conditioner. My hair loss is hereditary ( mother and grandmother). Major surgery 20 years ago propelled me into an early menopause and the hair loss became more extreme. My hair will never be brilliant but the Nioxin appears to have made what I have look more acceptable.