Gransnet forums

Health

How long long is reasonable to change medication?

(8 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Mon 09-Oct-17 21:14:22

I’m type 2 diabetic and have high blood pressure.

I take my blood pressure and check my glucose level every morning.

Having been on a diet for 8 weeks I’ve noticed a significant change in both my blood pressure and glucose levels. In fact for the last 4 weeks my glucose levels have been within the normal range.

So my question is - when would you go back to your GP for a review of your medication? Is 4 weeks too soon? I’m keen to cut back on my medication if I don’t need it but also don’t want to waste my GP’s ( and my) time .

Deedaa Mon 09-Oct-17 21:44:03

Why not have a telephone consultation with the GP and see if it's time to think about cutting down on the medication? You must be doing awfully well with the diet!

NanaandGrampy Mon 09-Oct-17 21:46:27

That’s a good idea , I’ll arrange that.

I think it’s not so much the weight loss just eating the right things for my diabetes ...long may it last [ wink]

tanith Mon 09-Oct-17 21:59:42

I had this conversation with my GP last week and he said he'd like to see me in 3/4 months and check again and if things stayed the same he would review my meds.

tanith Mon 09-Oct-17 22:00:10

Meant to say well done.

NanaandGrampy Mon 09-Oct-17 22:32:52

Thanks Tanith I did wonder if he'd think this was a flash in the pan after so many years of ignoring his advice

BBbevan Tue 10-Oct-17 10:58:12

Well done N&G. It is amazing, is it not , what losing weight will do.? I would arrange a new HbAC1 blood test in 3 months time. This will give you a good idea of how things are progressing. The LCHF diet is great for diabetics and there is a thread about it on GN. Also lots of advice on diet on Diabetes.co.uk.
I have never taken medication for my diabetes but manage it with diet. My GP has told me that I am no longer considered diabetic, so carry on with all your good work. It is worth it in the end ?

Teetime Tue 10-Oct-17 12:26:19

Well done N & G the suggestion re a telephone call to the GP is an excellent one. I think 4 weeks is a bit early to decide whether these excellent changes are permanent but discussing it on the phone will sort that out.