Gransnet forums

Health

Cold Sores!

(14 Posts)
Tottylimejuice Fri 13-Oct-17 10:10:21

Recurrent cold sores for an adult family member, does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the damn things and to stop them recurring?

Eglantine21 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:32:09

You can't get rid of them, they are a virus in your blood that will reactivate periodically. The best thing you can do is not to let the family member infect others. Don't share towels even hand wiping ones, dishwasher crockery on a high setting, definitely no kissing!

grannysue05 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:34:13

Eglantine has said it all.
Lots of luck as I know they are horrible things.

Nonnie Fri 13-Oct-17 11:10:35

L-Lysine is supposed to help but you have to take it every day not just when you have the cold sores. Also if you treat it as soon as your lips get dry, before you can actually feel the sore, they clear up more quickly.

Apparently they can be triggered by chocolate or sun.

Good luck

LadyGracie Fri 13-Oct-17 12:02:01

DH gets them when he’s run down, Zovirax or equivalent cream works for him.

Iam64 Fri 13-Oct-17 12:37:18

Yes, it's a virus and so can/will recur. I always keep Zovirax or similar in, if you catch the cold sore at the stage where its just an itch - it will quickly be banished.

Teetime Fri 13-Oct-17 15:58:29

The minute you feel the slightest prickle apply ice until it stops -kill the virus dead in its tracts- may not always works but sometimes does.

M0nica Fri 13-Oct-17 16:31:09

Why does my lip never prickle before a cold sore starts? First signal for me is the lump and soreness. DH gets the prickles, what am I doing wrong?

LadyGracie Fri 13-Oct-17 18:57:03

I never get prickles or itches either, I get the cold sore, swollen lip or nose and swollen glands, I keep a pack of aclivor tablets in my cupboard courtesy of our very sympathetic GP. The cream has never worked on me.

mcem Fri 13-Oct-17 19:27:21

Zovirax or generic acyclovir which is much cheaper. I keep tubes by the bed and in my purse so can catch it as soon as l suspect a flareup.
Keep a distinctive towel in the bathroom and tell everyone not to use it.
Cups and cutlery etc on hottest intensive wash in dishwasher.
I caught it from mum but not one of my 3 AC or 4 GC have developed it. Containment is vital!!

Tottylimejuice Sun 15-Oct-17 10:05:21

Thanks, I will look into some of the tips. Luckily GP wrote a prescription for tablets (had them before and he was happy to repeat). The l-lysine looks interesting but side effects not so good, might try to encourage more fresh fruit and veg into diet!

harrigran Sun 15-Oct-17 12:56:56

Zovirax at first sign of cold sore, don't go down the home remedy route as it only prolongs the agony. DH has been a life long sufferer but the severity has been greatly reduced by regular Zovirax applications.

Fennel Mon 16-Oct-17 11:50:59

Acyclovir cream.

Fitzy54 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:18:41

They are often activated by heat. Don’t lie out in the sun, use high factor protection on your lips, and try to keep your temperature down if you get a cold (paracetamol helps).