Gransnet forums

Health

Ultrasound suggestions please.....

(7 Posts)
Greyduster Fri 13-Oct-17 14:35:24

I had one earlier this year, and I did the same as Gilly as I was travelling by car. They usually like you to drink it a hour before your scan. The first time I went for one, I blew it, because I was travelling on the bus, and drank half the water before I left the house and the rest during the forty minute bus journey, not taking into account I had to change buses, and was forced to run into M&S before I disgraced myself at the bus stop. Then I had to buy more water and gulp it down in double quick time! It was like some medieval torture! You'll work it out. It'll be fine.

icbn2802 Fri 13-Oct-17 13:41:03

I have memories of the scan when I had my youngest child. I was almost in tears with desperation for a pee. The nurse agreed to let me race to the nearest loo before my scan ( with all that prodding it was never going to end well) with the instruction that I could "let some out". An impossible task these days!

Largolass Fri 13-Oct-17 13:40:33

I've had two recently and on both occasions have arrived at the hospital early and consumed my water while waiting to be called. As others have said they let you go to the loo as soon as it's over, good luck....

gillybob Fri 13-Oct-17 13:19:08

I had this a couple of weeks ago icbn2802 and I drank half of the water before going to the hospital and half once I was inside the hospital ( well in the waiting room actually) . As soon as the external scan was done they let me go to the loo before doing the internal bit . Phewww .

Tottylimejuice Fri 13-Oct-17 13:14:42

I think, if you feel that your bladder is just about full, then that might do. From experience when I had to do this, I just stopped when I felt uncomfortable and when I went for the ultrasound they said I had done well and had a good full bladder. I think they over-stress the point as some people dont make the effort to drink enough and it makes it hard to get the image - good luck (they also let you dash straight to the loo immediately after)

MawBroon Fri 13-Oct-17 12:43:30

TENA Lady pants?

icbn2802 Fri 13-Oct-17 12:42:01

I'm due to have an ultrasound next week. Been advised I'll need to drink about 1.5 pints of water beforehand. Takes me back to the days of my baby scans a number of years ago. Regretfully neither my bladder nor my 'pelvic floor' work as well these days and I'm dreading it. Don't much fancy the idea of trawling down the hospital corridors with an unsightly 'wet patch'. Any suggestions.......smile