Gransnet forums

Health

Vault Prolapse

(19 Posts)
Janet21 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:06:47

Hi everyone I’ve just joined your lovely group my age is 68 and I suffer with UTIs every month due to a prolapse. I also suffer with white coat syndrome I’m due to have operation to repair prolapse on the 29 th October and I’m scared stiff can anyone help who’s had this operation I’m having the mesh method by key hole xxx

midgey Wed 18-Oct-17 13:43:53

Have you not read all the research on this type of repair? Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole if it was me!

Janet21 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:18:55

Gosh that’s really made me feel good I don’t think

glammanana Wed 18-Oct-17 14:26:40

Please read the reports about the mesh method it can have serious implications it was being debated in Parliament this morning,I have had it done twice and feel it has caused the bladder problems that I have had since,I am waiting reports as to NHS findings on the method.

gmelon Wed 18-Oct-17 14:56:42

There was a discussion on this on Radio 4. Almost sure that it was on Monday afternoon 16th October.
Very many problems it seems. Maybe find on catch up or some clever Gransnetter might find it for you.

annsixty Wed 18-Oct-17 15:57:45

There really is a lot of adverse publicity about the mesh repair.
Please research well before you go ahead.

grannyqueenie Wed 18-Oct-17 16:07:48

Please do plenty of research before you go ahead. I had a gynae appt earlier this year and it was suggested I needed 3 different repairs including a vaginal vault one. I asked lots of questions as I was worried about the mesh issues I’d read about. The surgeon told me they no longer use that method at my hospital due to the ongoing problems caused by it. Fortunately it was decided I didn’t need the surgery at the present time and I’m hoping it stays that way for a while. Sorry if all the replies seem negative but it’s better to know what you could possibly facing than not I think. Could you get in touch with someone at your hospital who could give you some answers to questions you might now want to ask?

Janet21 Wed 18-Oct-17 16:22:39

Thank you all I’m going for my pre assessment on Monday and going to refuse that method and speak about the stitch method. I have already spoke to the hospital x

annodomini Wed 18-Oct-17 17:15:26

A friend had a very bad experience with the mesh system which entailed further surgery and a long period for recovery. I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial.

midgey Wed 18-Oct-17 18:09:56

I didn’t mean to make you feel bad so apologies!

Grandma70s Wed 18-Oct-17 18:25:20

There’s just been an item on BBC news about this. It’s obviously very controversial, and use has been suspended in Scotland.

Auntieflo Wed 18-Oct-17 18:25:39

Janet21, there has just been something about vaginal mesh repairs on the news, so hope you can discover some of the information that you need.

Janet21 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:38:34

Thank you I’ve just got the news on xx

Janet21 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:34:57

Hi everyone thought I would update you I spoke to my consultant today I’m not having the mesh procedure I’m having the stitch procedure x

Marydoll Thu 19-Oct-17 19:16:52

That's good. I read your OP and agonised about telling you about the mesh. I'm glad it's the other procedure. I was advised that one day I might need it after my hysterectomy, so had been following all the news about it.

midgey Thu 19-Oct-17 19:29:42

That’s exactly why I wrote what I did.

Deedaa Thu 19-Oct-17 22:08:41

I would be very wary. A friend of ours was left doubly incontinent by a bungled operation which turned me right against it.

grannyqueenie Thu 19-Oct-17 23:27:24

That sounds like a better option Janet21, hope all goes well and you feel less anxious now.

Janet21 Fri 20-Oct-17 08:15:11

Thank you all xxx