Gransnet forums

Health

Kefir probiotic, more beneficial than yogurt

(23 Posts)
giulia Thu 19-Oct-17 05:12:16

I have started drinking this recently as I have read a number of positive articles about it. For irritable bowel syndrome it was compared in tests to yogurt and Yakult and came off way ahead of yogurt (while Yakult came nowhere). It is supposedly good against osteoporosis and is a strong antibacterial. Too early to say if I find any benefits yet and am wondering if any of you take it and what your opinions are.

Mamie Thu 19-Oct-17 05:42:37

No, but my OH has IBS and daily full-fat bifidus yoghurt from our local organic shop definitely helps him.

ninathenana Thu 19-Oct-17 06:34:04

I've found drinking actimel daily has helped me. I also eat a lot of yoghurt.
I've never heard of this, a quick Google shows it's quiet expensive.
May I ask where do you buy yours, do you buy the grains and make your own ?

Liz46 Thu 19-Oct-17 07:07:36

I have the grains and bought them for just over £5 online. I have since discovered that there is a fermenting group on facebook who will give some away for the price of postage (PM me for details). I am taking it because I am on three very strong anti biotics for at least 18 months.
I can give full instructions to anyone who is interested (I make it from whole milk).

Grannyknot Thu 19-Oct-17 07:41:49

Kefir or "Maas" as it is known on South Africa definitely benefits the gut. Read Dr Michael Mosley's book on the digestive system, I'll post a link.

Grannyknot Thu 19-Oct-17 07:44:51

Here you go:

www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-14/michael-mosley-how-to-get-your-gut-in-order/

Anya Thu 19-Oct-17 08:24:34

Good article GrannyKnot

Nelliemoser Thu 19-Oct-17 08:56:02

I had been buying it regularly before I went on holiday. I do like the flavour. Must get some when I shop on Friday.

Nelliemoser Thu 19-Oct-17 08:56:53

I had been buying it regularly before I went on holiday. I do like the flavour. Must get some when I shop on Friday.

Nelliemoser Thu 19-Oct-17 08:57:09

oops!

Auntieflo Thu 19-Oct-17 09:33:51

Grannyknot, I have just tried to read the article in the link by Michael Mosely. Then half way down, the article blurred and I was asked to answer a question. ??? about two people I have never heard of, if I wanted to read the rest of the article. What's that all about? Is it just my Ipad?

giulia Thu 19-Oct-17 09:41:10

ninathenana: here in Italy Actimel is far more expensive than kefir, which I can get in any supermarket. Half a litre of kefir to drink costs around one euro. It would be better to make my own but can't be bothered for now.

giulia Thu 19-Oct-17 09:44:20

What is the difference between kefir and buttermilk? Anyone know? Just saw it on a bottle, translated as buttermilk: Surprise!

Grannyknot Thu 19-Oct-17 10:55:26

Hi AuntieFlo didn't happen to me first time round, I read the whole article, but I just clicked on the link again and got the same as you, weird. I ignored it.

Anyhow ... (processing is a bit slow, but) I remembered that MM came on here to discuss gut health! smile

www.gransnet.com/forums/webchats/a1237148-Gut-health-brand-new-Q-A-with-Dr-Michael-Mosley

jollyg Thu 19-Oct-17 12:00:15

Kefir is supposed to originate from the folks who are long livers n the Caucses[sp] folk there are venerable to 100.

Equally the inhabitants of Evia nr Samos seem to have an exceptional life span.

Beware of spin and smoke doctors.

giulia Thu 19-Oct-17 12:39:23

Wot are spin and smoke doctors? (excuse my ignorance).

giulia Thu 19-Oct-17 12:41:15

nelliemoser: I think it's the continuity that counts. However, one day per week off.

Tegan2 Thu 19-Oct-17 13:34:14

It was featured and recommended in Michael Mosleys TV programme as well. I started eating sauerkraut after seeing the programme but then read that the bottled versions are so sterilised they don't offer the benefit that they should.

Nanabilly Thu 19-Oct-17 14:33:04

My mil used to drink aloe vera juice from Holland and Barrett for her stomach problems ,she had ibs and crohns disease and it really helped her.

Grannyknot Thu 19-Oct-17 15:24:07

tegan the book has a recipe in for home-made sauerkraut.

Baggs Thu 19-Oct-17 15:42:37

I have not found either kefir or yogurt to be beneficial at all. Rather the reverse.

Nelliemoser Thu 19-Oct-17 16:08:22

Open the windows and get your hands dirty, preferably by gardening. This will connect you with the trillions of bacteria that live in the soil Well that's me doing something right.

I don't grow vegetables but I find pottering in the garden very good for my mood and now presumably for my gut. I will go out and chomp a few more nasturtium flowers picked straight from the plant.

Haydnpat Sun 22-Oct-17 18:52:38

Have tried this, didn't find it beneficial I'm afraid.