Gransnet forums

Health

Underactive Thyroid

(6 Posts)
Bellab Sat 21-Oct-17 10:36:18

Hi. I have just been diagnosed and have been taking tablets for two weeks. Does anyone know how long it takes to feel better? The tiredness and low mood are terrible not to mention the weight gain! I'm hoping the tablets will kick in soon but is there anything I can do to help myself.

Pittcity Sat 21-Oct-17 11:10:52

I have been diagnosed for about a year and it takes a while to get the correct level of medication for you. You need regular blood tests and the dose can be adjusted accordingly.
It took me a couple of months to feel any different.

Grandma70s Sat 21-Oct-17 13:22:50

I had/have an overactive thyroid which was pretty awful, was prescribed carbimazole which took about five weeks to make me feel better. Then I was told my thyroid level was now too low! So I am taking levothyroxine (sp ?) as well.

I think these drugs are quite slow to act, and they can have some funny side-effects, but we (well, I) would be in a mess without them.

SueDonim Sat 21-Oct-17 14:33:36

It could take a while to get you on to the correct dose. Are you having regular blood tests?

maryeliza54 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:04:28

When is your next blood test due? As others have said, it takes a while for the medication to kick in and doctors will generally err on the low side initially. After I started on it, my first blood test was after 3 months, then the dose was increased, another 3 months then again and now its stabilised and I'm tested every 6 months. So check when your GP said you had to be tested again - I certainly wouldn't want to wait longer than 3 months

Willow500 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:53:03

I've been on thyroxine for so long now I can't remember how I felt when i was diagnosed but my son (43) was diagnosed last year and it's taken him several months to start to feel the benefit of the meds. Its a bit trial and error to get the dosage right for your needs.