Gransnet forums

Health

Flooded heart ?

(5 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Mon 23-Oct-17 11:26:23

Have had a bad cold for 2 weeks but over the weekend I woke in a drowning panic spluttering fluid . Then I couldn't breathe so found an old inhaler of my daughters and used that - instant relief . I had to use it a lot yesterday but managed to get an appointment at the doc this morning .
He thinks I've had oedema in my lungs which released the fluid whilst I was sleeping and ' flooded my heart' . I had to be x rayed , was given water tablets and a Salbutamol inhaler . I've to go back in 2 weeks , gosh big fright as I never go to the doc . Has anyone else had this ?

annsixty Mon 23-Oct-17 11:39:16

I have a fiend who has a friend whose H has lung cancer.
He has been doing ok with palliative chemo, however 2 weeks tomorrow was feeling very ill and was admitted to hospital.
His wife said he was struggling to move at all and breathing was awful.
She said he started to improve when " they drained fluid from his heart"
I didn't quite understand but you have been told the same so it is true.
He is still in intensive care but is improving, sadly he can't start chemo again for some time.
I hope you soon feel better and don't get that scare again.

annsixty Mon 23-Oct-17 11:40:50

My fiend is a lovely friend?

GrandmaMoira Mon 23-Oct-17 12:01:58

I've not come across this but it sounds frightening and I hope you feel better soon.

Nelliemoser Mon 23-Oct-17 12:16:39

I wonder if "flooding the heart" is meant to mean that oedema ( excess fluid seeping from the lungs) is squashing or constricting the working of the heart.
( Like it happens to legs.)

Surely if excess fluid was in your heart you would be a goner. See the link below .

I honestly don't think that a very professional way of describing what might be happening.

www.heartsite.com/html/chf.html