Gransnet forums

Health

Macular hole in the eye

(17 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Sat 18-Nov-17 11:12:07

I have just been diagnosed with this. I went to tele hospital to see the consultant as I had recently noticed some odd symptoms in the vision of my left eye ( all fine in eye test in June) . I am type 2 diabetic so soon afterwards had my annual retinopathy test and found when my right eye was covered I could not read the letters of the eye test as they were blurred and moving. I was advised to go back to my optician and she thought I had a particular, slightly rarer form of cataract so referred me to the hospital, unbeknown to me so had the retinopathy service. I went to the hospital expecting to discuss treatment for a cataract only to be told it was this macular hole which is more serious, I do have a cataract as well. I have been put on the waiting list for surgery possibly quite soon, as if this is not done I will eventually lose my vision in that eye. I came out of the appointment quite upset as I had not been expecting it, I had gone on my own, and the doctor did not have a very good bedside manner, he was very matter of fact and did not seem to have much empathy or realise I might be a bit shell shocked. I did not ask all the questions I should have because I was so tea keen aback and wonder if there is anyone on here who might have some experience of this condition and perhaps give me a bit of reassureance. I've been told I won't be able to see at all out of the eye the day after and will see very badly out of it for about 2 months, recovering my sight as it was before around 6 months later. It all feels a bit daunting and I'm feeling a bit scared and vulnerable.

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-Nov-17 11:12:57

Taken aback not tea keen

Antonia Sat 18-Nov-17 12:24:50

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I don't have experience of this, but I would say just concentrate on the fact that your vision will be right again after 6 months. Perhaps the doctor's 'matter of fact' approach could be due to the fact that this is all routine for him, and he sees it as nothing to be unduly concerned about, which could be quite reassuring really.

ninathenana Sat 18-Nov-17 12:28:09

I empathise TwiceasNice
I have had laser treatment for an eye problem due to T2 diabetes which was discovered at my retinopathy test. I was told this may need to be repeated a couple of times if there was improvement. Unfortunately when I went back the consultant, who like yours was totally laking in bedside manner told me "It's worse, you'll need to have it injected" when I inquired whether that would require a GA he smirked and said "just drops" having Googled I discovered if the injection/s don't work I could loose my peripheral vision and my ability to drive. The consultant told me none of that.
Sorry, not helpful to you but I know how you feel. I hope your fears are not realised.

wildswan16 Sat 18-Nov-17 12:45:24

Could I suggest you contact the Diabetes UK helpline (number on website). They will be able to talk you through your options and know more about how it will affect you.

chelseababy Sat 18-Nov-17 12:49:37

I've had an operation for a hole in the macula in Oct last year. The op itself was painless and you are under a local anaesthetic. Afterwards I had to do "posturing" for 7 days - lie or sit face down for 50 minutes of each hour and sleep on a specific side at night. If you go on the Moorfields Web site there are leaflets. My eyesight was not fully restored but I was able to read 3 lines further down on the chart. The posturing isn't too bad as long as you prepare before hand. Feel free to ask any further questions or PM me.

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-Nov-17 13:37:17

Thank you all very much especially you Chelseababy. The information sheet he gave me said Inwouldnt have to do posturing ( have googled it and seen the diagrams) he said because if enough gas is put into the eye there's no need!? The information on line says I can't drive until the gas has depleted, so will have to have substantial sick time off work ( not the worst thing to worry about I know but you do think of all kinds of thing) Thank you very much for your responses, it's just nice to have your worries acknowledged

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-Nov-17 13:39:46

I will speak to Diabetes Uk that is a good idea, although it is not caused in my case by my diabetes (well controlled) when I asked what had caused it then as no retinopathy present, he replied "bad luck"

Gymstagran Sat 18-Nov-17 17:05:20

Try the Macular Society, they have leaflets on Macular Hole and also treatment buddies. So they may be able to pair you up with someone who has already experienced this. Also find out if the hospital has an eye clinic liaison officer. They could talk through your issue and explain things more clearly.

pharmarohit Fri 24-Nov-17 09:54:10

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bathsheba Fri 24-Nov-17 09:55:19

Reported

chelseababy Fri 24-Nov-17 13:08:07

I had two weeks off work and could drive by then as my other eye was OK. I did try to get a bit longer off but they wouldn't wear it!

Willow500 Fri 24-Nov-17 17:23:05

I had laser treatment for a raised blood vessel below the macular due to severe short sight and thin retinas about 15 years ago so can sympathise with your worry. It's a very scary prospect being told you could lose your sight and it could still happen to me. I don't have any information about macular holes but definitely can recommend the md.org site for support and information. Sorry your consultant was so blunt - they do seem to forget what is every day to them is frightening to the patients!

Magicat Thu 11-Apr-24 21:50:32

I have a macular hole which is full thickness. It was picked up on OTC scan at the opticians. I have had macular degeneration for about five years, so I thought my gradual deterioration in reading etc was just the degeneration. Anyway, I was referred to a local hospital and the consultant triaged my scan and has deemed it a non urgent case! No exp,a nation given… other than this is the NHS and “there’s a queue’. Needless to say I have complained and also asked for a second opinion. So I would like to ask other people’s experiences on waiting times, as most literature says this condition I’d quite time critical.

Georgesgran Thu 11-Apr-24 22:04:44

As this thread is 7 years old - it might be better to start a new one Magicat

Catterygirl Fri 12-Apr-24 00:01:20

My bad cataract wasn’t picked up at the opticians for many visits. When it was I was fast tracked to the private sector in an NHS hospital. Two consultants refused to operate and called their senior consultant for a final check. By then I was shaking from head to toe with fear. He took charge and told his staff to operate that day. I had already been waiting six hours. The operation didn’t go well and when the anaesthetic wore off I had to have an injection in the centre of the eye. Fast forward to three months later and I no longer need reading glasses and the 50 or so floaters have disappeared and hey, I am leaving this message on my iPad. The other eye needs operating on asap and I am ready waiting and willing. Otherwise I would be blind. Thank you to the senior consultant and all of Gransnet with eye problems, be treated sooner rather than later.

BlueBelle Fri 12-Apr-24 06:05:33

I have a macular hole in my left eye I found out about it a year ago when my optician picked up a dark region in the eye which could have been a bleed or anything so he sent me for an emergency appointment to the local hospital It showed up as a hole I also had cateracts in both eyes so I had the cateracts operated on last January and February
They decided they wouldn’t operate on the hole but see how it goes, my lenses are very weak as I d had laser treatment quite a few times for tears etc
At first it was weird as sign posts or car number plates etc seemed jumbled just not on the same level…. hard to explain, but after a few weeks my brain completely adjusted and the letters are all normal It’s amazing how your brain can do that
They told me if my sight changes to go for help immediately so I m very well aware that I could lose my sight but I really don’t think about it too much if it happens it happens

My first cataract op was a nightmare as the anaesthetic didn’t work and I felt everything and the surgeon just carried on and took no notice of my protestations Afterwards I complained (informally) and I was given a different surgeon for the second op and it was a breeze

I feel lucky