Gransnet forums

Health

Outer Ear infection saga

(6 Posts)
TellNo1Ok Mon 18-Dec-17 10:36:54

Wonder if any of you good folks can help me ...
had an inner ear virus then infection since beginning of October...discussed it over the phone with duty GP who told me to use Beconase drops nasally to attack symptoms via eustachian tube.. duly did so...not a lot of relief.. saw GP who sent me to have my ear syringed... really waxed up...
that's when my troubles really began...
developed into an outer ear infection..."otitis exterior" .. prescribed and used antibiotic / steroid ear drops... no change...
prescribed and have taken complete course of antibiotics ... still excruciatingly painful and bunged up...
seeing GP again tonight ... wonder what she will suggest next..
Scaring myself reading on the internet of potentially fatal results from chronic infection... feel so tired and distracted with the pain... can't even think straight... any one out there any advice please...

Skylarker Wed 24-Jan-18 01:31:11

How are you TellNo1ok? I’m going through the same saga and getting a bit desperate. I had an outer ear infection caused by a cold and wax build up, and burst ear drum. 4 Gp s later I hit a referral to the local ENT clinic where I had it syringed. This gave me a bacterial infection. Started Otimise then Cipro drops. Developed a virus ( throat/ear catarrh thing) and an inner ear infection as well. And the ear drum burst again. Now totally deaf in my right ear. Also the drops interact with other medication I’m in so I stopped them yesterday and ear is full again. Due back at the clinic tomorrow but not holding out much hope. How did you get on??

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 24-Jan-18 02:12:00

I've suffered from ear infections since I was a little girl. Before Christmas in 2014 I had the worst ear infection of my life. It turned out that I had both a fungal infection and a bacterial infection. I was prescribed different antibiotics for each infection and I had my ear 'hoovered out'. It took about a month to recover. I alternated codeine and ibuprofen every four hours and then eventually swapped the codeine for paracetamol. The pain wasn't always completely under control, but it was bearable and I could get some sleep. Fortunately I am at home and could also nap in the day to make up for poor sleep.

The bacterial infection probably came from using oil before having my ears syringed. The first time attempt at syringing did not clear out enough wax, so the nurse told me to use the oil for another week and then she'd try again. It was during that week the pain started. Nobody had any explanation for how I got the fungal infection at the same time.

Since then I have worn swimming ear plugs religiously when I wash my hair. I still get blocked ears (got one now!), but never had pain again.

My GP recommended good old fashioned steam inhalation to help clear my eustachian tube. Apparently it helps calm inflammation and allows any fluid trapped next to the ear drum to drain. I have an inhalation mug and stir a tea spoon of Vick in the water.

Best of luck. flowers

TellNo1Ok Sun 15-Apr-18 10:53:36

Hello and thanks for your reply
I have JUST been discharged from hospital
Ear seems good. Ear drum no longer compromised and hearing fine.
Hospital commented they usually see “my” problem in people with diabetes... they are then hospitalised and “their arms pumped full of antibiotics “
Luckily I’m not diabetic...
what has caused me continuing grief is the “rare” reaction I have had to the specific antibiotics with tendinitis... omg ... just continue with the exercises until mid summer... but ears better... tyg

Situpstraight Sun 15-Apr-18 11:39:22

My DH recently had his ear wax ‘hoovered ‘ out with some suction thingy at a local Opticians! Strangely the ear that was giving him problems was clear and the other ear was very yucky, to be polite. Yet he has been to the GP often with ear problems and they never noticed the build up of wax. It seems that syringing often creates more problems than it solves.
Pleased that you are recovering now though, ears are a pain!

silverlining48 Sun 15-Apr-18 12:02:30

Micro suction is safer than syringing which surgeries always do. As told to us by a consultant ent surgeon.