Gransnet forums

Health

The woman who can smell Parkinson's disease

(9 Posts)
Elegran Mon 18-Dec-17 13:45:22

Joy Milne has an incredible sense of smell that is able to recognise Parkinson's disease on the human body.

She detected Parkinson's on her husband, Les, 10 years before he was diagnosed by doctors.

Now Joy, from Perth, is using her ability to help scientists develop a diagnostic test for the condition.
video - www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-42366104/the-woman-who-can-smell-parkinson-s-disease

Anniebach Mon 18-Dec-17 14:03:59

Good heavens, heard of dogs detecting illnesses but not humans

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Dec-17 15:51:02

Amazing.
I have heard of dogs a ability to detect cancer through smell.
But unlike dogs this lady will be able to vocalise what she is smelling.
Fingers crossed that through this ladies gift there maybe a breakthrough in the early detection or even cure of such a dreadful illness.

MissAdventure Mon 18-Dec-17 15:59:08

That is amazing!

wildswan16 Mon 18-Dec-17 16:49:01

It is amazing, and hopefully will lead to further advances in treatment. I do wonder how many innate skills we may have, that have been lost over the thousands of years of human development.

MissAdventure Mon 18-Dec-17 17:00:59

I was just wondering how many other people may have that talent. The possibilities are endless.

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Dec-17 17:09:16

There are individuals who have a 'Nose' for perfume or wine
Maybe such a person would be a suitable candidate for scientific research regarding what other notes they have ability to detect

Eglantine21 Mon 18-Dec-17 17:10:03

Well, I know this sounds weird but just before his cancer diagnosis my husband's skin had a different smell, a kind of spicy one which I really didn't like. I have always put it down to the new medication he had for his other condition but maybe not?
How close to someone would you have to be? And would you have to be familiar with their usual smell?

farview Mon 18-Dec-17 17:11:35

That's wonderful! My mum had Parkinson's and it's a horrible complex disease.so hope something comes of this ladies 'gift'