Gransnet forums

Health

Walking aids

(8 Posts)
Teetime Mon 08-Jan-18 09:09:08

geordijoy you do need to be fitted properly for a walking aid. I would start with getting a referral to an OT probably from your GP. You are entitled to such aids on the NHS but must have them 'prescribed'.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Jan-18 08:36:48

SOcial Services were brilliant at fitting all sorts of rails and helps in the house for my mum and dad once occupationak therapy had assessed their needs OldMeg

OldMeg Mon 08-Jan-18 08:09:55

PS Age Concern now called Tapestry?

OldMeg Mon 08-Jan-18 08:07:46

Have you thought about a scooter for those longer walks?

Incidentally Age UK has no advice when I rang them looking for a contact to fit a grab rail.

Humbertbear Mon 08-Jan-18 07:56:16

My mother was given a four wheeled walker with a seat but prefers to use her three wheeled version. There is no seat but it isn’t as wide and is easier to get through doorways. It is also easier to fold up ( not that she can fold either).
In her home she uses a Zimmer frame with front wheels. After assessment by staff of the local Falls Clinic she has both a grab rail in the shower and a chair.

Billybob4491 Mon 08-Jan-18 05:52:19

Geordie, my hub has a walking frame with a seat and it has brakes, also four wheels.(There is also a three wheeled version.) Ask your GP if he can refer you to Social Services. We have subsequently had grab rails, seat over the bath etc., installed, makes life a lot easier for the less able. Age Concern (Now called Tapestry) may be of help to you regarding contacts. Hope this has been of use to you.

Hilltopgran Mon 08-Jan-18 01:34:22

Although a walking frame with a seat seems a good idea, you do need to take care that the frame does not run on too fast for your walk and you end up walking in an unatural position causing stress and strains. Some people end up looking as if they are pushing a lawnmower rather than using a walking aid which should be close to your body.

geordiejoy Sun 07-Jan-18 22:22:10

I have arthritis and find it increasingly dificult to get about. My legs dont work very well these days and need a stick for some support.I dont walk very far because I need to sit down after a short walk.
I am looking at 4wheeled walking frames with a seat. I would welcome any advice if you use one