Gransnet forums

Health

cat bite

(16 Posts)
boheminan Mon 08-Jan-18 11:15:53

My daughter was taken to A&E on Saturday night. She'd been playing with her much loved moggy when it attacked her, holding onto her hand with claws and biting through to the bone in her finger. Blood everywhere, children traumatised and screaming.

Luckily she could get to her local hospital quickly, which she did, and after a 2hr wait in A&E was admitted for immediate surgery on her finger, which was already swollen with infection, and a fractured finger bone.

She's 'lucky' in as much as she won't lose her hand.

The reason I'm telling you this is the importance of always having any cat bite looked over - no matter how small. The hospital staff couldn't emphasise enough how easily a small piercing of the skin by cats teeth can lead to horrific consequences, even amputation if overlooked.

I don't want to scaremonger, but know of cat lovers who do get bitten and don't believe their beloved moggy could possibly end up causing them so much pain and danger.

Teetime Mon 08-Jan-18 12:06:15

That sounds horrible I do hope she makes a good recovery from the bite and the trauma. Cat and dog bites can be very nasty not just the bite itself but from the bacteria they carry naturally in their mouths. As you so rightly say they always should receive medical attention.

paddyann Mon 08-Jan-18 12:11:01

scary,our kitten bites me,never severely but enough to hurt.Everyone tells me its because he thinks I'm his mum but I'd like to stop him doing it...dont know how.Any help gratefully received

annsixty Mon 08-Jan-18 12:23:23

My D spent 48hours in hospital in November on an intravenous ab drip after being bitten by her cat.
She was x-rayed for fractured bones ,it was also her hand,but bones were ok.
She had rung 111 when the bleeding wouldn't stop and they couldn't emphasise enough how very important it was to Get straight to A&E.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 13:22:16

Scratches from a cat can be dangerous as well:
This was from an American report but I think is applicable here too

The report has found that cat scratch disease, which is also known as “cat scratch fever,” has more serious complications than doctors and researchers originally thought. The bacterial infection, which is passed to cats by fleas and then spread to humans through scratches, bites or allowing a cat to lick an open wound or scrape, can have serious complications such as heart and brain damage when left untreated. Other side effects include headache, fever, and swollen lymph nodes

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 13:23:22

I hope your DD has been given a course of antibiotics too boheminan

boheminan Mon 08-Jan-18 13:30:41

Jalima1108 yes, she's on antibiotics and had an anti-, tetanus jab, she's undergoing another op now

Willow500 Mon 08-Jan-18 13:41:11

Yes cat's teeth and mouths are full of bacteria - worse than dogs I think so it's good advise to get them checked. I was once bitten very badly by one of mine and visited the dentist a couple of days later. He was doing a course on forensic dentistry and asked if he could have a photo of my hand as he didn't have a picture of a cat bite grin. Glad your daughter is ok - does she know what provoked the attack?

OldMeg Mon 08-Jan-18 14:24:52

Hope your daughter recovers completely boheminan.

What’s happened to the cat?

OldMeg Mon 08-Jan-18 14:27:47

paddyann just let out a loud yelp when the kitten bites you. You will have to do that each time it bites but that ought to do the trick.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 14:28:06

I hardly dared to ask OldMeg - now, what would happen to a dog if it did the same?

OldMeg Mon 08-Jan-18 14:31:04

That’s me jalima rushing in where angels fear to tread. When will I ever learn ???

Deedaa Mon 08-Jan-18 14:33:36

I was bitten by a strange cat a few years ago. Two days later my hand was twice it's normal size and had turned an interesting shade of green. The only time I've ever been seen by a GP the minute I walked in!

boheminan Mon 08-Jan-18 16:50:55

The cat is still at home, it won't be put down. The children are scared of it, so a new home will be found. There's talk of a farm that always welcomes 'micer' cats for farm work.

GrandmaMoira Mon 08-Jan-18 17:29:58

My DH was bitten by a neighbours cat which came into our house. There was blood everywhere and his arm immediately swelled up. He was given antibiotics by A&E but this didn't cure the infection and he was admitted for IV antibiotics a few days later.

annsixty Mon 08-Jan-18 18:34:27

My D's cat is still very much a part of the family.
He had got his leg caught in a piece of furniture while exploring.
My D was trying to extricate him and he was very frightened and panicked. My D and GC have 3 cats and a dog, all very spoilt.