Gransnet forums

Health

ambulatory blood pressure monitor 24 hours

(8 Posts)
Coolgran65 Wed 10-Jan-18 10:32:38

I have always had very good blood pressure levels, a steady 120/80. A few months ago it went up but came back down very quickly in a week or so.
Then, this last month it has been sitting at around 152/110. I understand that many folks have a pressure much higher than this but it is a big change for me.

Yesterday the treatment room nurse fitted me with a 24/7 ambulatory monitor...... I can honestly say I've never felt a more uncomfortable blood pressure cuff. I told nurse that it was verging on the painful and she advised that after a few 'goes' it settles. Not for me it didn't.

Pressure is taken every half hour, and hourly from 10pm until 8am. It is really uncomfortable, actually uncomfortable isn't a strong enough description, it is painful. Thank goodness I can take it off at 1pm today.

No way am I a wuus... I pity anyone wearing it longer than the 24 hours.

paddyann Wed 10-Jan-18 11:36:45

I have white coat syndrome so my BP goes through the roof as soon as I walk into a doctors surgery or hospital.I had the 24 hour monitor and it proved it was WCS ..so I didn't have to worry .My BP still goes high enough to cause pain when taking readings but I learned to control it with breathing exercises as I find its stress that causes it.I am on medication for it though.

shysal Wed 10-Jan-18 11:38:41

Can you see the readings as it goes? I should imagine the pain will send the blood pressure up!

Rocknroll5me Wed 10-Jan-18 11:50:05

I totally agree. I had it and it was s very poor affair indeed it pumped up far too tight and as I was going on my normal day this could happen when driving talking shopping it was excruciating. Also it didn’ Record most of the time it turned out because I was moving!!! And because it kept failing it kept doing it. After about 7 hours I took it off. Supposed to be on for 12 hours. Rubbish. I bought my own monitor with an excellent cuff which connects to my iPhone but unfortunately the hospital will only accept the erratic readings of the ambulatory monitor. It’s crap.

Coolgran65 Thu 11-Jan-18 00:12:35

shysal I couldn't see any information at all.

rocknroll yes, unnoticed several times that it took a second reading about five minutes after the scheduled reading. No-one mentioned that I should stop what I was doing for the readings. Excruciating just about describes it.

Humbertbear Thu 11-Jan-18 08:55:45

I had one of those monitors fitted CoolGran65 and went to the Albert Hall for a concert with it on. Apart from being uncomfortable (does it have to be so tight) I was very conscious of the noise as were those around me I suspect. They were too polite to say anything as they probably thought the machine was keeping me alive!

KatyK Thu 11-Jan-18 10:44:56

I have white coat syndrome too. My BP goes through the roof (really high) in the surgery. To be honest, I have a monitor of my own and I have got myself in such a state about it that even the thought of the machine sends me into a panic. My GP is very understanding. Last time she took it it was ridiculously high as I had sat in the waiting room panicking about it and my pulse was racing. She wanted to fit a machine and I said no as it would make me worse. I told GP I was scared of having a heart attack or something with it being so high. She said it really doesn't work like that. Like paddyann I now try breathing exercises and to be honest,just try to forget about it.

Lillie Thu 11-Jan-18 13:16:21

Take it off, loosen it, then fit it back on more comfortably. It shouldn't be that painful, if it's too tight it causes bruising. I remove it to have a shower, no problem.