Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy

(129 Posts)
Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 10:56:59

I have just had my 4th colonoscopy. Extensive family history of bowel cancer which necessitates regular scopes. My 3rd three years ago was stopped due to pain from diverticulae. I had a CT scan instead.
Now I have moved to a new area to be nearer family and undergone the 4th. It was indescribably painful even with lots of painkillerand I am so fearful of next time that I asked about having it under GA. I am told this would be very unlikely. I am wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and can offer any advice. I got the all clear this time which is great news but I am already thinking about next time confused

LullyDully Sun 21-Oct-18 10:55:32

I found it interesting. You don't feel anything much and can watch on screen. Mild sedation not enough to knock you out.. The worst bit was the gloop I had to drink....yuk. It takes the appetite away so not much thought of food needed. The knickers were the funniest bit!

My son has been through the mill with bowel cancer, so we thought it was the least we could do to rule out genetic links.

annep Sun 21-Oct-18 10:13:17

I think excluding fibre is part of it.

harrigran Sun 21-Oct-18 09:59:25

I can't find my diet sheet for the prep but if I remember correctly no fats were allowed because they increase the release of bile which makes it difficult for the camera.

goldengirl Sat 20-Oct-18 17:34:33

I had gentle sedation and watched it on the screen. Occasionally I had to move in a particular way which was uncomfortable but then I dozed off and awoke to find a nurse offering some toast!

annep Sat 20-Oct-18 14:04:23

I've had two. I kept doing deep calm breathing which I feel helped and a little gas and air. They were surprised how well I coped. The consultant kept apologising. I had to keep telling him I was ok. The worst bit is feeling you want to pass wind!! When I had a gastroscopy I was so nervous my BP rose so they gave me a GA. I think its good we can have them.

Daddima Sat 20-Oct-18 13:47:04

As I thought, harrigran, but will butter be allowed in the potato?
And, of course, I’ll be craving things I haven’t eaten for years!

harrigran Sat 20-Oct-18 12:39:45

Boiled fish and mashed potato, white rice and chicken breast, nothing coloured and no fibrous vegetables. I noticed that sucky sweets are allowed so on the last day of prep it made life a little sweeter.

jeanie99 Fri 19-Oct-18 23:57:36

I had my second one a few weeks ago, have family history of bowel cancer.
I had sedation but unfortunately they can't put you to sleep because you need to move for certain points in the procedure. Staff were fantastic as always.
I was asked to take part in a trial this time, which will mean if the trial is a success patients will only have to give a poo sample and not have the procedure.
I was told I would not benefit because it doesn't apply the anyone with family history, we will still have to have the colonoscopy. My next one is due in 5 years unless I have any symptoms.

PamelaJ1 Fri 19-Oct-18 18:16:19

My instructions were not to eat or drink anything with colour.
White wine is colourless?! And made the day a little easier.
I’m beginning to think, after reading these posts, that I am a member of a very small club that must have a very high pain threshold. I supposed my comment after the procedure would have been- what was all the fuss about? The pikolax was definitely the worst bit.

merlotgran Fri 19-Oct-18 16:31:00

Don't eat sweetcorn for at least a few days before a colonoscopy. The darn stuff is indestructible. DH had to have a repeat procedure when he was in hospital because they fed him sweetcorn and it was still floating around obstructing the camera.

Charleygirl5 Fri 19-Oct-18 14:49:01

I was allowed to eat what I wanted before but had problems staying in the kitchen long enough to prepare more than a cup of coffee!

Daddima Fri 19-Oct-18 14:25:10

I got the package of drugs this morning, and instructions on what foods to avoid for the three days before ( well, nothing at all on the day before!)
What did you eat on the days before? To me it looks like toasted white bread and fish or lean meat!

Marmight Sat 18-Aug-18 13:28:40

We do and its 'free'!! It was a doddle without sedation...You should follow up. Be brave...grin

knspol Sat 18-Aug-18 13:24:58

Had colonoscopy in the US after first episode of diverticulitis, was terrified, couldn't stop shaking but went to a special endoscopy clinic. It was a doddle, shown a video first re what would happen, anaesthetist came to speak to me and told me I'd be unconscious throughout but that she would be there with me. Woke up when it was all over, had polyps removed and didn't feel a thing during or afterwards. Should have gone back for repeat 3 yrs later but then back in UK and heard such horrendous tales about pain even when done privately that have just not gone. Why oh why can't we get such good treatment in UK???

Marmight Sun 05-Aug-18 16:22:39

Thanks anno. Now home. All very quick and almost pain free. Wouldn't give me sedation as DD couldn't stay with me over night: its an ill wind ? (literally grin) and all that. Childbirth breathing technique put into use! Not the bad result I was fearing although he took a number of biopsies. As you say, it's the previous 24 hour clear out which is worse!

annodomini Sun 05-Aug-18 13:50:15

I hope that's all over by now, Marmight and that nothing untoward was found. I had the sedation - gastroscopy and colonoscopy at the same time. The laxative was the worst thing about it and best forgotten!

Marmight Sun 05-Aug-18 12:49:27

I don't think I should have read all these posts. I'm off for a colonoscopy this afternoon (yes on a Sunday!) And am feeling pretty awful having had Picolax last night with 3 pints of water so up all night for one reason or another and 2 separate doses of Moviprep this morning at 8 & 9 involving 4 pints of water plus having to drink another 2 pints afterwards. I am awash and feel sick. Do they think I am an elephant? Oh joy.. hope they sedate me.?

HannahLoisLuke Tue 03-Jul-18 08:38:19

I had one last year and at times it was excruciating. I had six polyps which they removed so think that was what caused the pain. Because if that I have to have another in two years and not looking forward to it!
I didn't have sedation but was offered gas and air. I declined that as I remember being very sick on it years ago when in labour.

LiltingLyrics Sun 01-Jul-18 15:23:34

From my own experience the degree of pain may reflect the health or otherwise of the colon tissue.

I have had three colonscopies now all without sedation. I had mild to moderate IBD - ulcerative colitis (UC).

The first and second scopes weren't particularly comfortable as they went around the bends but were never painful. The endoscopists asked the theatre assistants to turn me at different points to help with negotiating the bends.

I watched the procedures on the big screen. The tissue looked mostly healthy - pink and shiny like baby gums with just a few troublesome areas in the descending colon and splenic flexure (the bend top left).

The third time was very different. I was in a very bad UC flare and was hospitalised for IV meds. My diagnosis was escalated from mild/moderate UC to severe. When I was taken for endoscopy, I didn't ask for sedation as the first two had been painfree. This time it was painful. The tissue all along the descending and transverse colon looked terribly inflamed and crusted. The endoscopist said that was the reason for the pain. On the other hand he didn't ask his assistant to turn me either so wondering if his particular endoscopy technique may have contributed to the pain.

Next time I think I'd still avoid sedation as I like to see what's going on but I'll make sure I take a lot more Entonox (nitreous oxide gas) to better manage any pain.

etheltbags1 Tue 26-Jun-18 21:35:05

I've had 2 coloscopies due to cancer, one for diagnosis the other after my op. I just felt a little uncomfortable with a bit of pain on the second one, first one was painfrree. The worst was the pre op laxatives. Good luck to everyone having them

pollyperkins Tue 05-Jun-18 18:05:06

Havig read a bit more now- the reason I had the colonoscopy was because they apparently found traces of blood in the bowel screening (poo stcks) test. I was very nervous as I feared the worst and relieved to find it was only mild diverticular disease which also accounts for some abdominal.pain and diarrhoea. I'm on fibrogel drinks for that which has helped.

pollyperkins Tue 05-Jun-18 17:56:41

Ive had one with the NHS - under sedation I was sort of conscious but away with the fairies. No pain at all and very little embarrassment - I was past caring! And I do have diverticulosis which they confirmed. I sort of dozed afterwards and woke to a cup of tea and toast and jam which was most welcome. As others have said the preparation part the day before is the worst.
What I also enjoyed was the nurse saying to DH afterwards that I musn't cook or do housework for 24 hrs but just rest. Bliss!

Panache Tue 05-Jun-18 17:42:47

Indeed I understand all too well from where you are coming Nanooka,it is certainly not the most pleasant of procedures.
I have already lost half a colon and quite a lot of gut.....cancer related,whilst my Mother died from colon cancer and my sister also had a large cancerous tumour removed.
The earlier colonoscipies initially were carried out under GA.

This was halted as deemed too dangerous though I rather believe it is to save having an anaethetist on board....... the NHS cutting back again.

I had one prior to Christmas 2017 and then another 4 during the year............the initial one was virtually painless,I opted for no sedation even.
But thereafter they became increasingly painful.
One involved a gastroscopy at the same time.
Because of long standing issues I tried my best to cope but when the Endoscopist found a polyp and then lost it..........saying he would have to repeat the Coloscopy.......it really was the "last straw"........however this was done and said polyp removed.
Because of being Hospitalised with other serious problems I have had 3 appointments cancelled, so it will be another 2 weeks before I eventually have the results of all colonoscopies plus latterly a CT scan.

However I think you really need to point out your pain threshold to both your G.P and to the Endoscopist,hopefully they will take your fears on board.
When these are requested fairly frequently, of course the fears are there and surely it makes sense for the patient to be at ease during such procedures .......if they wish to obtain a clear picture.........which surely is the whole point of these procedures.

knspol Tue 05-Jun-18 12:50:51

Had one in the US several years ago after developing diverticulitis. Was shaking like a leaf, so worried but went to a special endoscopy centre and it was marvellous. DVD to show what would happen, anaesthetist to talk me through what she would be doing and assure me I would be asleep throughout and nurse to reassure me and answer any questions. Worked so well, slept throughout and had a couple of polys removed and told a few days later they were benign. Told to repeat procedure every 2 yrs but have not done so as even privately I will not be able to have a GA. Family member had one on BUPA shortly afterwards and it was sheer hell according to her. Why of why can't we get the same service in the UK???

Lazigirl Mon 26-Feb-18 12:48:09

You are right about the sticks harrigran and whilst they do pick up some cancers, they depend on finding occult blood being present in the stools, which isn't always the case or may be missed. The colonoscopy is obviously more diagnostic and as I mentioned previously the screening is changing for over 55s to colonoscopy screening instead.