Gransnet forums

Health

panic attacks

(22 Posts)
Fennel Thu 18-Jan-18 11:46:49

I've been having symptoms at night lately which seem to be panic attacks - due to worry over house move etc no doubt. Raid heart rate, breathing problems, shivering etc.
I've searched the forum and there are some helpful old threads. I do try to control it with deep breathing.
On one of them M0nica mentions medication - what was it?
These attacks worry me because I already have heart problems ( not too serious TG).
I need to go to the Drs next week for a new prescription, and will try to explain it to him.

Marelli Thu 18-Jan-18 12:00:27

Fennel, I sympathise with you. I went through quite a lot of these horrible panic attacks when I was having to deal with family issues. One that really stays with me was when I was in a crowded bus one winter, and wasn’t able to see out of the dirty windows to try and distract myself I thought I was going to collapse.
I was prescribed beta-blockers, which, for me, didn’t help. It’s the ‘fight or flight’ adrenaline rush that happens, isn’t it? Try to concentrate on your breathing, if you can. You know the feeling will go away, but while you’re experiencing it, it’s horrible. Explain to your GP, though. We all worry. People who say they don’t worry about anything aren’t really thinking about what the word means. However, just think of this: ‘worry is optional’. I try and stick by that if I can. Take care of yourself. x

Anniebach Thu 18-Jan-18 13:06:03

Fennel, do tell your GP, moving house is so stressful my love

Luckygirl Thu 18-Jan-18 13:32:52

Needs a visit to the doc so he/she can distinguish between a panic attack and a heart arrhythmia

humptydumpty Thu 18-Jan-18 14:16:04

Fennel, my daughter is now on Propanolol following a couple of serious panic attacks, it has helped a lot to calm her down - see your GP.

Fennel Thu 18-Jan-18 16:49:50

Thanks all - yes I'll see him ASAP.
Marelli - I already take beta blockers, so I'll try taking at night instead of the morning.

volvox Thu 18-Jan-18 16:56:21

For four years I had horrendous panic attacks (menopause ugh) and slowly had to learn how to deal with them and develope coping mechanisms and tricks which I still have to use from time to time on crowded buses, supermarkets etc. Still can't do tubes and lifts. But in your particular case Fennel if I wake up heart pounding I do take one 10 mg propanolol (beta blocker) because I know that in one hour my heart rate will drop to normal and just that reassurance helps enormously. I was prescribed them on an as-and-when basis for that sort of situation and also when I know I'm going to get anxious. It works for me. I can't do breathing or relaxing stuff, just makes me worse because my adrenaline is too high.

M0nica Thu 18-Jan-18 17:47:36

Fennel. It was nearly 50 years ago and it was Librium. I doubt that any doctor would prescribe that now. In my case it worked and, for me, was not remotely addictive. I took it for a couple of weeks then decided to stop taking them.Not everyone was so lucky.

However, it is well worth talking to your doctor. The other thing that works is breathing in and out of a paper bag when you have a panic attack. Panic attacks are caused by fast light breathing that disturbs the carbon dioxide/oxygen balance in your blood Breathing in and out of a bag means you breathe back into your lungs the carbon dioxide you are exhaling and returns this balance to normal.

farview Thu 18-Jan-18 20:05:44

Yes the bag breathing is good,also keep mouth tightly closed and just breath through your nose..it helps..truly!!?

Jane10 Thu 18-Jan-18 20:12:28

As long as it really is a panic attack. I'm glad you're going to the GP to be on the safe side.

GranDi Fri 19-Jan-18 10:12:01

I experienced sever anxiety over Christmas when I ought to have been enjoying myself with the family but think I was panicking about my health - needlessly. It was difficult to put into words to my doctor (who is brilliant) how I was actually feeling but having had blood and urine tests and checked eyes, ears etc he could find nothing wrong but was very understanding. The symptoms more or less disappeared overnight. I have taken to writing down how I feel and then how the anxiety turned out to be just that so I can go back and reassure myself that I need to keep calm - and yes, deep breathing helps but I also found it particularly helpful to get out in the fresh air and take a brisk walk - to reassure myself I was healthy.

Poly580 Fri 19-Jan-18 11:28:52

Hi Fennel, how awful for you. I suffered very severe panick attacks and had very expensive treatment for it. One type of attack I could feel coming on and try to breathe through it. The other type would make me collapse and loose control of my bowel and bladder. Very embarrassing. I woke up in hospital a few times because whoever found me would ring an ambulance. I had to do something .....
Prior to the attack you will have been shallow breathing and not realising you are. I learnt to check my hands as quite often they were clenched. I also used to sit in the car and sing, you have to breathe to sing... and a happy song always helps. When they come on relax your hands, check your breathing and think this will pass..... it will... with practise you will be able to manage them and they will get less frequent and less powerful. Understanding them is key... you are not ill it’s just your body reacting to and imbalance you have caused yourself... Hope that helps and good luck xxx

Ramblingrose22 Fri 19-Jan-18 11:57:37

Fennel - you have all my sympathy. I've had spells with panic attacks - triggered originally by having had burglars during the night when we were all asleep.

They can occur ar any time and I have just tried to accept that they're going to happen, that I have no control over whn they happen and that they will pass in their own time.

I have never taken anything for them but there are probably medications out there. I'm told they're not dangerous so don't worry about your heart as you might be making things worse.

There is a new program on sale (probably on Amazon) for helping deal with them called "Panic Away" I think.

Might be worth a look.

sandelf Fri 19-Jan-18 12:10:05

I am in a bit of a mess at the moment and am finding this helps to get the heart rate down and push away the demons. Also, accept a 'hug' from me - we all have 'something'. youtube.com/watch?v=LFGsZ6ythQQ&t=2300s if the link doesn't open - Youtube Happiness Frequency.

Fennel Fri 19-Jan-18 13:01:53

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions. I had an idea today it could be to do with the fact that I'm NOT houseproud and our bedroom is very dusty. Also pets sleep there.
So I did a big cleanup.
See below in houseproud thread.

Nanny41 Fri 19-Jan-18 14:55:36

My Daughter-i-Law has had panic attacks for years, but the other day had a serious attack, she had to call the ambulance, however before they arrived her heart rate had settled, she called them not to come,but they did anyway, checked her ECG which was normal, she went to her GP next day, and things were normal,what can be done for her?I feel so sorry for her she has had a lot of problems in the Autumn, her Father died, her Mum died years ago, she worries about everything, she is only 42 I wish she could get some help. My Grandson who is 16 stayed home from School the day after her attack because he didnt want her to be on her own, but it is a shame he has to miss his education in order to look after Mum, please has anyone any ideas,I would love to help.

willa45 Fri 19-Jan-18 15:05:51

I've also heard that panic attacks are caused by low potassium levels due to stress and poor diet. If you prefer a more holistic approach, you may want to increase your intake of potassium rich foods (e.g. oranges, bananas, tomatoes, potatoes, avocados) in your diet.

Marnie Fri 19-Jan-18 15:37:01

I have been having anxiety and panic attacks for over a year now. I take medication which has just Bern increased and the mental health team for older people had managed to get me a place on an eight week course for anxiety management. I am just hoping it will help. I do the deep breathing and that helps

Camelotclub Fri 19-Jan-18 15:43:28

I used to get panic attacks quite badly when I lived and worked in London. I only seem to be affected now if I am in a jam on a motorway and feel hemmed in. No good in lifts though. I've had the 'going to die' feeling, not able to breathe, and loose bowels. The bowels/bladder are due to the 'fight or flight' response trying to empty your body to make you faster and lighter if you need to run. It's a very primitive response.

I take a beta blocker anyway due to AF and this probably helps stop any more panics I might have. Good luck to anyone suffering. I found they diminished with age!

W11girl Fri 19-Jan-18 22:12:21

I have suffered panic attacks for 41 years...have learned to manage them..With medication at times, the good old paper bag and avoiding situations. For the past 25 years I have trained myself by not allowing them to take me over and always look for an alternative to dealing with avoidance of a situation so that I do not become a “victim” to them. It works for me. So debilitating however.

icanhandthemback Fri 19-Jan-18 22:18:10

Fennel, please see a Dr before you dismiss these as panic attacks. I get similar symptoms in the night when my liver does it's glucose dump. I got quite worried but it turns out I am diabetic and this is just all part of that. It is always best to be sure that you are treating these things the right way. As to your housework thread...I'd have a panic attack at the thought of hoovering under the sofa. Life really is too short grin

Shizam Sat 20-Jan-18 22:27:50

Yes get doc to check out any physical causes. I would also highly recommend mindfulness. If a course near you, it does help, slowly but surely. Also if you’re able to get onto App Store, free one called headspace that does 10 minutes of breathing and meditation a day. You can buy and sign up for more in depth ones. But I just keep repeating that first one. Find it really helps. I was getting awful panic attacks driving etc.