Gransnet forums

Health

Any experience of delayed PTSD

(4 Posts)
Silverlining47 Sat 20-Jan-18 12:35:05

Does anyone have experience of a partner suffering from delayed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder especially relating to the Falklands War (1982) or other areas of conflict?

Iam64 Sat 20-Jan-18 12:40:19

Only because of working with children and families, some of whom had fathers who were diagnosed some years after the Falklands War. Often times, the men had a history of violence to partners/children/anyone who upset them at a critical time as well as drug/alcohol abuse and dependency. There are effective talking and other therapies available. PM me if you want to discuss this

Kristy6750 Sun 21-Jan-18 06:16:17

Hi there Silver Lining.

My daughter ia in a lone term relationship with a man with PTSD. However he it lucky in on sense in that we live close to a Combat Stress Centre and when needed he can access and support at any time.
She finds it hard some times to cope sometimes with his anger but things are looking up in that area.
There have been times when he hasnt been been able to cope but they I think are becoming less with the help and support that he has around him.
His PTSD does not stem from the Falklands though but I thought I might reply. Hope that was okay.

Alima Sun 21-Jan-18 09:01:42

Hi Silverlining, although I have no experience of PTSD my DH is a Falklands Veteran, Navy. My initial thought was to contact someone from the Service involved then I had a look on line. There is an online mental health wellbeing service, wwwbigwhitewall.com which may be worth looking at. Also a website: combat.org.uk. Hopefully something on one of those will point you in the right direction.