Gransnet forums

Health

Cancer Research UK Race for Life - anyone else taking part?

(10 Posts)
PoshGran Sat 10-Feb-18 12:43:59

Are there any other GNers who are thinking about or have already registered for one of this year's Cancer Research UK Race for Life events?

I registered this morning & wondered if any of you will be walking/jogging/running/cheering/volunteering/donating at your local event.
smile

PoshGran Sat 07-Apr-18 11:49:27

Bumping this post, as adverts for CRUK Race for Life are currently being shown on TV.

I shall be taking part at my local event in memory of my Grandfather, Father & dear Brother, who all lost their battles with different forms of cancer, as well as for the future of my Son & Grandson.

Anyone else getting involved?
smile

silverlining48 Sat 07-Apr-18 16:59:51

Good for you, it’s a worthy cause. My knee won’t allow me to do much more than hobble at present but I am sure we are all with you in spirit. Well done.

Smithy Sat 07-Apr-18 19:27:08

Poshgran, was just thinking the other day, I'd like to do this. Not for any specific reason but because it's something I've never dibe. Trouble is I can't run more than a few yards before getting out of breath, but I believe you can walk it?

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Apr-18 20:05:38

I did it a couple of years ago. I’m doing something else this year. I think you can walk it if you want to.

PoshGran Sat 07-Apr-18 20:34:35

Thanks silver. I'm walking it Smithy

I've never done anything like this before, putting my money (& that of a few close friends & family) where my mouth is. I'm doing 5k which I know I can achieve physically, but there will be a fair bit of emotion for me too & that will be draining.

Next year - who knows!!
smile

silverlining48 Mon 09-Apr-18 09:08:16

Posh, if you are not doing this with companions you will find a friendly supportive atmosphere from others on the walk, they won’t all be racing....at least that is what I have found when we have done the Alzheimer’s memory walk. We all had Alzheimer’s in common and though emotional it was happy too.

Where is your event taking place? If you are raising money why not put details on gn, if that’s allowed, as I would be happy to support you, and I am sure others might too.
5k isn’t too far, unless you have mobility problems so one foot in front of the other. Good luck and well done.

PoshGran Tue 10-Apr-18 14:08:18

Thanks for the thought silver but I'm happy with the close few who have said they'll make a donation for my efforts - I shan't be rattling my tin at virtual friends smile.

My OP was an enquiry about possible involvement with Race for Life by other GNers - how they are preparing, or who they are going to cheer on, or which family/friend they're sponsoring. (It'll just be me & OH as bagman!)

It is about raising money & awareness & we all take part in such things as RfL for our own reasons; for me there's an element of acceptance or that awful word "closure". When you don't get the Christmas & more recently, the birthday card from someone who's been in your life for 66 years, it takes a little getting used to. If something I'm able to do contributes to all our futures then I'll happily do my bit. We each have personal charity preferences; I have been prompted to act for this one.

Sermon overgrin.

I'll be back to give a gentle reminder (but if anyone else is involving themselves I'd love to know!!)

silverlining48 Tue 10-Apr-18 14:34:12

Yes I do understand poshgran, my daughter and husband both have cancer.
Wishing you well.

PoshGran Sun 29-Apr-18 16:02:07

It's eight weeks today before my local Race for Life - has anyone else decided to join in or support at an event near by?
Hopefully the weather will be a little more cheerful (& warmer) than it is today - it would be good to find out what it feels like doing 5k "sleeveless"!
grin