Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone have partner with Prostate cancer

(66 Posts)
valeriej43 Sat 24-Feb-18 21:53:07

My partner has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer
Just wondered if anyone had experience of treatments etc, and after effects,

valeriej43 Thu 01-Mar-18 23:46:00

Thank you both hope all goes well for both hubbys, we will find out on Monday what the options are, and exactly what and where the cancer is,,
I know there are a few options, so hope he chooses the right one,men really have to be pushed dont they?
It is a good thing you made the appointment for him Silverlining , didnt realise there ws an intermediate one,
Nannydee i am so sorry that your husbnd has been through both at once,it must have been very worrying for you, he is very lucky i think to get through them together, but must have been terrible
I hope to have some news after monday ,hopefully not too bad

MissAdventure Thu 01-Mar-18 23:50:41

Best wishes to you and your man, Val flowers

grannyactivist Thu 01-Mar-18 23:51:46

My father-in-law was diagnosed in December 2016 and I'm delighted to say that his results have been amazingly good. He had the radioactive seeds (Brachytherapy) and hormone injections and he has no further problems relating to his prostate. Unfortunately when they start doing tests and poking around other things may be found!

valeriej43 Fri 02-Mar-18 09:59:45

grannyactivist thank you ,yes on a cancer forum i am on, some said it might not be prostate cancer, and that with all the tests and interference with those that seeds can spread and affect other areas, especially in the perineum area, so its just wait and see now i think
Very pleased for your father in law that he is doing well
I have a nephew in law who is having hormone tretment for PC and he is doing well too, and working

valeriej43 Fri 02-Mar-18 10:01:17

MissAdventure thank you fingers x now for monday

valeriej43 Tue 06-Mar-18 10:22:43

Results yesterday, Hormone therapy, tablets for 28 days, and injections every 3 months, plus Radiotherapy for about 8 weeks, meaning an 80 mile round trip every day,
The cancer he said is grade 7, he is not looking forward to the side effects of the HT but must be done
Could be worse, so overall not as bad as we feared

MissAdventure Tue 06-Mar-18 10:28:16

That trip every day is going to be exhausting, but its just a blessing there are these options. Thanks for the update. Best wishes to you both. flowers

tanith Tue 06-Mar-18 10:41:57

Ask the the hospital if they have facilities for the odd overnight stay at OH cancer centre they offer this to people who have to travel distances. Maybe you could use it once or twice a week.

POGS Tue 06-Mar-18 11:07:54

valeriej

Can I ask you to pass on my best wishes to your hubby and I hope everything brings about a successful outcome.

I am sure it will!!!! flowers

chelseababy Tue 06-Mar-18 12:46:27

Our local hospital provides transport run by a charity to the radiotherapy hospital - worth checking.

MissAdventure Tue 06-Mar-18 14:35:24

Don't forget free parking for radiotherapy appointments, too!

valeriej43 Wed 07-Mar-18 00:24:22

Thank you all for your good wishes, it isnt as bad as it could be, be. wonder if all hospitals have free parking for Radiotherapy?t i have read that the HT is worse than the RT,, but it has to be done,
I think they have to have a laxative and an enema before the RT
have a nephew in law with PC and this is the worst part of RT he says

chelseababy Wed 07-Mar-18 07:59:36

They have to follow a special diet before and during the radiotherapy. Need an empty bowel and full bladder and no "wind". I think this is because they Mark up the area to treat so any internal movements could mean the wrong area is zapped. My OH was given a diet sheet to follow - worst bit he says is no beer!

KatyK Wed 07-Mar-18 11:06:41

Yes valerie They have to have an enema before each session of RT. My DH also said this was the worst part but he got there in the end! He had to do the enema himself before he left the house. He found having a full bladder and an empty bowel was very difficult, especially on 37 consecutive days (apart from weekends). However, he soon got into the routine of it. If he hadn't got it right, they would send him for a walk around the grounds, or to the loo etc. It has to be done on that day and that's all there is to it. There was no going home and coming back another day.As I said before, he had no ill effects from any of his treatment. Best wishes.

chelseababy Wed 07-Mar-18 15:22:57

3.30 this afternoon radio 4 Inside Health is about prostate cancer.

silverlining48 Wed 07-Mar-18 18:06:19

Yes I listened too, and put it on another post but listen on catchup ( or whatever it’s called).

MissAdventure Wed 07-Mar-18 18:31:04

I would imagine the free parking is across the board, and it is worth doing, when you're going day after day.
Ask at reception in the radiotherapy dept.

valeriej43 Wed 07-Mar-18 23:42:02

Oh wish i had known that programme was o,i would have listened to it, will try to listen on catch up
Will also mention the free parking and the free rides, but maybe those are only to a local hospital, but will mention iy

silverlining48 Thu 08-Mar-18 09:50:26

Yes, listen on catch up Val, it was very informative and explained choices and treatments.
I think the free parking while having RT is across the country. Try not to worry.
We are just off for my dh 3 monthly check. Fingers crossed

valeriej43 Thu 08-Mar-18 11:48:16

silverlining good luck for your hubby, hope all goes well

NonnaW Thu 08-Mar-18 11:50:57

At Addenbrookes the parking is not free, but is at a considerably reduced rate for radiotherapy patients.
DH never had to have enemas at all during his radiotherapy, and he coped ok with the full bladder bit, he said many men couldn’t last if there was a delay, and had to ‘go’, but sadly that then meant they had to wait longer to refill the bladder. Hormone therapy caused DH some discomfort with night sweats etc, but obviously the hardest bit for him to cope with is the lack of testosterone, but he is still here, seemingly in full health so we are thankful.

vintage1950 Mon 12-Mar-18 11:15:52

My husband has prostate cancer and is on hormone therapy and regular review. He has a large prostate anyway and on 2 occasions when he had a biopsy he went into retention of urine - very uncomfortable and dangerous. It's a rare side-effect of biopsies but can occur so be aware!

valeriej43 Mon 12-Mar-18 22:13:29

vintage my partner had the retention of urine, and was admitted to hospital as an emergency, then he got sepsis,that was the start of all this, they found a very enlarged prostate, then it was the tests etc that followed, on to where we are now, since last May/June
After the prostate shave he collapsed losing blood
After that the biopsies ,and still couldnt find out where the cancer was, until he had a perineum biopsy, anyway the hormone treatment has started,
How long did it take for the hormones to start working? i think the radiotherapy starts when thev tablets finish, not sure when the injections start yet

silverlining48 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:16:42

Can understand why you are so concerned Val. Sounds like you have all been through a lot.
The hormone tablets start to work fairly quickly and as far as I know they don’t cause any side effects at all other than ocassional hot flushes.
The rt comes after that and the injections are when rt finishes as far as I know.
I telephoned Macmillan and spoke to very helpful and patient nurses when both my daughter and husband were diagnosed with cancer last year. Its a free phone number. You might try it if you havnt already.

silverlining48 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:17:46

Repetition of ‘as far as I know’.