Gransnet forums

Health

Ketones in urine

(9 Posts)
kittylester Mon 02-Apr-18 18:01:36

I have posted before about DD3 who is 13 weeks pregnant and experiencing horrendous sickness. She is on her 3Rd type of antisickness pills which are helping a little - she is now not sick after about 6pm.

She has had numerous UTIs (inevitably?) and can't keep antibiotics down - as she is continually sick.

She has just been to the walkin centre with 'another uti' and been told that she also has ketones in her urine and sent off with yet more abs.

Can someone explain for her poor old worried mother please.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Apr-18 18:23:10

I ve no medical knowledge but I think I remember ketones happen when you are eating or keeping down very little food then the body starts using its own body fat to give the baby nutritian and can causes ketones in the urine
If she’s ok after 6 can she eat some hi protein or carb stuff then and drink lots of water
Cranberry really helps urine infection I ve had hundreds of the horrible things
I m sure her doctor will give her much more information and hopefully the sickness muight tail of soon

hildajenniJ Mon 02-Apr-18 18:28:42

Ketones in urine in your DD's case is probably due to the excessive morning sickness and her inability to eat and drink properly. She needs to keep up her fluid intake.
They can also indicate gestational diabetes but I think that is unlikely given your description of her symptoms.
I hope she feels better soon, and that the pregnancy progresses well.

Lyndylou Mon 02-Apr-18 21:59:29

I can only give you advice based on my daughter's hyperemesis 10 years ago. The main concern is dehydration so any fluids she can keep down in the evening is good. If she isn't keeping fluids down at all, she needs to make sure her GP knows this, she may need to be admitted and put on a drip.

Sucking ice lollies can help if her throat is sore from the vomiting and when she starts to feel better remind her to keep up her dentist visits as constant sickness can affect the enamel on her teeth.

I know it is worrying and I don't won't to worry you any more , but one thing I can't stress enough is to keep going back to the GP. The NHS is quite good at dealing with hyperemesis these days but they need to keep being told what is happening.

kittylester Tue 03-Apr-18 06:54:19

Thank you all.

dd is at the gp a lot, with the sickness and UTIs (as I said, she is on her 3rd version of ani sickness tabs, and is having 3 monthly dental checks. She has a midwife appointment booked and will contact her too. I'll mention ice lollies!

Teetime Tue 03-Apr-18 07:37:49

Its miserable kitty that's what my pregnancies were like and possibly the Duchess of Cambridge's too. The ketones are from the vomiting and not eating so burning fat. Is the GP midwife hoping this will settle down after the 3/4 month stage? I think the community midwife might be more helpful in explaining and controlling the symptoms. A few women have to be admitted for IV Fluids but not many. Try to too worry (easily said) ice lollies may help but can be very sugary- we used to make milk ones not sure how I think they had a bit of orange juice and then milk. I hope she picks up soon and can enjoy waiting for her baby. flowers

Luckygirl Tue 03-Apr-18 08:55:46

What a total misery for her - and a worry for you. I cannot add to the advice above - basically sip, sip, sip continuously at water or juice; or suck lollies.

Let us hope that it will start to settle down soon. Poor lass.

etheltbags1 Tue 03-Apr-18 17:48:40

My sympathies, my dd had similar probs. Hope it settles soom

kittylester Tue 03-Apr-18 18:20:24

She was sent home from work today. She was sick twice, the CEO gave her a hug and she burst into tears!

She was enthusiastic about the lollipops!