Gransnet forums

Health

Mobility scooters

(9 Posts)
Meriel Mon 09-Apr-18 15:46:16

Not sure that this is the right forum for my question but here goes.

My husband is just about ready to buy a mobility scooter. We live in a VERY small retirement flat so need one that folds up as small as possible. He only needs it for longish walks/shopping/airports etc. Does anyone have experience of these. We would be grateful for any advice or recommendations.

Galen Mon 09-Apr-18 15:52:19

I use my Smartie all the time for cruises and anywhere I have to walk.
It folds up at the touch of a button and unfolds as well.
It weighs with the battery about 24k

ninathenana Mon 09-Apr-18 15:52:28

Have you looked at the 'Luggie' (sp) it folds to suitcase size and is recommended for air travel.

Galen Mon 09-Apr-18 15:54:08

Google monarch self folding scooter

Galen Mon 09-Apr-18 15:54:54

I had the luggie before, but much prefer the smartie

Bridgeit Mon 09-Apr-18 15:56:37

If you look up Mobility aids in Yellow pages , you should find an advert, but it’s probably better to contact your local council or help the aged or occupational therapist possibly through your Drs surgery etc, prices can vary so you need professional advice, best wishes

Charleygirl Mon 09-Apr-18 16:24:02

A lot also depends on your H's weight because I believe some will only take eg up to 110kgs. It is usually in very small print. I have only seen them advertised on channel 22 Ideal World but you could google on line. Better as others have indicated to get expert help.

NanaandGrampy Mon 09-Apr-18 17:05:42

www.ridc.org.uk/

Great independent site which will give you lots of info about what's available and what each sort can do .

I use a larger scooter but have a hoist fitted in the car and it lifts it in , in one piece for me. I travel extensively , often on my own when I worked and never had a problem on planes etc.

Meriel Mon 09-Apr-18 18:27:38

Thank you everyone for the very helpful advice.
He's not particularly heavy Charliegirl. We've been looking on line at the Luggie and the Smartie. As far as I can make out, the Luggie seems to fold smaller.
Nanaandgrampy, I will check out the website you suggest.
Thanks again.