Gransnet forums

Health

Intermittant mild nausea

(14 Posts)
CazB Thu 24-May-18 18:56:09

I have suffered with mild nausea intermittantly for years. It is worse on waking, and often quite bad when I go abroad on holiday. It's accompanied by mild burping. Recently I've had a bit of reflux, no heartburn but acid in back of throat and constant throat clearing. Four years ago I had a gastroscopy, which was normal, as was test for an ulcer. I'm now taking lanzoprazole with minimal effect. My GP has suggested I try an anti anxiety drug as I do suffer from anxiety, and she thinks this could be causing the nausea. I'm reluctant to do this, as the main side effect is nausea, and although I have bouts of bad anxiety, it certainly isn't all the time. I'm wondering whether to go back to see the consultant. I would love to hear from anyone who has had a similar problem.

Besstwishes Thu 24-May-18 19:03:35

Have you tried keeping a Food and drink diary to see if certain items trigger your nausea ?

CazB Sun 27-May-18 17:57:10

Thanks for your reply, Bestwishes. I haven't kept a diary yet, but will try it.

OldMeg Sun 27-May-18 18:08:38

I’d also back you keeping a food diary. I did that, not for nausea but to find my triggers for arthritic flare ups.

Found one food in particular was to blame and have cut it out of my diet for last 4 months and all has been well. But was invited out for dinner at my DD’s last week and SiL had cooked lasagne. I knew it might trigger and attack, but firstly didn’t want to offend and the scientist in me thought ‘OK let’s test my hypothesis’. Sure enough within 24 hours I could barely walk. Luckily being a one-off my symptoms subsided with a couple of days.

So yes, you are what you eat to a large extent so see if you can find your trigger(s). Prevention is better than cure.

Belgravian Sun 27-May-18 18:23:32

Gerd?

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gerd/symptoms-causes/syc-20361940

www.avogel.co.uk/health/digestive-system/acid-reflux/symptoms/nausea/

Squiffy Mon 28-May-18 12:25:14

Wonder if it’s worth trying Buccastem 3G tablets? I’ve been prescribed them in the past for nausea, but they are now available OTC. You put one between your gum and top lip and let it dissolve there. They worked like a dream for me.

Nanabilly Mon 28-May-18 12:55:49

As well as a food diary I think it may be a good idea to take note of your daily mood and activity as it may throw up something you never knew was putting you under any stress of upset.

Besstwishes Mon 28-May-18 13:06:19

nannabilly throw up ?? ?

CazB Mon 28-May-18 18:28:19

Thanks for all your suggestions. I started taking Candesartan for migraine prevention, a few months ago and am now wondering whether this is partly causing the intermittant nausea. I'm slowly coming off it as it hasn't really helped my headaches. This drug is usually used to treat hypertension.

MargaretX Mon 28-May-18 21:35:09

There is a medication for nausea which works on the brain which is where it comes from. People who suffer from migrain can take it or others having chemotherapy..

DD1 who is a natural health consultant (in Germany Heilpraktiker with exam) gives me drops containing ginger
and they work.

CazB Tue 29-May-18 17:33:22

Thanks for the two links, Belgravian. I do have reflux at the moment, so think this is probably the cause. Though have had mild nausea many times when no relux is present.

Jules5555 Thu 31-May-18 08:38:42

Hi. Had the same problem for years then. Tried Lanzoprozol and Omeprazol which did absolutely nothing. Decided it may be a dietary problem so eventually cut out dairy. Wow what a difference. No nausea, no bloating, no burping. And at last I have an appetite. I also have a haitus hernia which caused much pain and has also much improved. Have goats milk or soya products now. Definitely worth a try.

CazB Sat 02-Jun-18 17:04:02

Thanks for that, Jules, I will give it a try. I have no reflux at the moment, so stopped Lanzoprozol which did nothing for the nausea anyway. How long was it before you noticed a difference?

Jules5555 Mon 04-Jun-18 21:52:07

Fairly quickly. I'd certainly give it a go for a couple of weeks.
I really hope it helps you. If not I still think it's worth considering if it is a dietary issue.