Gransnet forums

Health

Am i going mad.

(105 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 27-May-18 21:45:41

I need someone to tell me if I am crazy, same old subject my mother. She lives in the same street.lives independently but I do check on her every day. She is getting more awkward every day. If I make her a cuppa it had to be in a small mug, not too hot too strong or too weak. She can't eat crusty bread for her teeth, this is a disgrace to the nhs who should provide her with some better false teeth. Today i had to get extra bread as she wanted soft bread. Tonight she has fallen and as usual rang me but as shes not bleeding she will be ok, but is complaining about her hip and struggling to walk so I will have to take her to the a and e tomorrow.Gone is my day off. I've told her to give up gardening as this is how she fell. She says she won't. She won't wear trousers to protect her legs etc etc. I just scrape through my days, after work I'm so tired I just go to bed at 8 ish. I can't face doing her garden again or having to look after her b........ parrott who hates me. When she is ok I spend the time anxious about what she's up to. Recently she had her hearing check and a new hearing aid but she doesn't hear any better, again the nhs should take better care and fix her deafness, I'm sick of shouting, I'm sick of everything. I had my first holiday abroad 27 years on a cruise and I loved it. I had to let her get on with things and I felt so free. I'm trying to teach her not to be rude she swore in asda today, I was mortified. She seems not to be able to change, why are old people like this. I just want to pack a bag and drive off and never come back. I survived cancer to spend my life being abused like this. Any advice

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 20:59:04

Did you run in the Granny's race ethel?

They had put out chairs at the DGD's sports day (thank goodness)

etheltbags1 Tue 21-Aug-18 20:14:22

Thank you natnatroswell22. Im really ungit. I ache all the tome. I hate gettingnolder

natnatroswell22 Mon 30-Jul-18 03:36:26

Wow you are so amazing being able to so those kind of stuff.

etheltbags1 Fri 27-Jul-18 21:32:43

Haven't been on for a couple of weeks. I went to my dgd sports day, I was knackered by standing for 2 hours and s long walk to the park. I'm 63 btw to anyone interested and I swim, walk and do garden partially to escape from you know who.

natnatroswell22 Mon 09-Jul-18 05:09:52

Haha well I guess so. Me too. I'm not fond of doing physical sports though.

Jalima1108 Sun 08-Jul-18 14:32:41

I think so, but then lots of posters are younger than me grin

natnatroswell22 Thu 05-Jul-18 09:16:48

Ohh sorry Jalima1108. I did not look into her profile so I didn't know she was one of the younger members here.

loopyloo Tue 03-Jul-18 11:19:16

Dear Ethel, you have described exactly how I have felt for the last couple of weeks. So irritable with everyone.
Bit better today as have a quiet morning on my own and can get a few things sorted.

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Jul-18 11:14:24

I don't think ethel is that old natnatroswell22 shock

In fact, she's one of our younger grans as far as I know!

natnatroswell22 Tue 03-Jul-18 11:10:22

Yeah! Well done Ethel! I'm surprised that at your age you still participate and engage yourself in those activities.

Jalima1108 Mon 02-Jul-18 18:14:43

^ ivr had a superday today at sports day and aching a bit but not tired.^
Was that your DGD's sports day? Are you aching because you ran in the Grannies' race ethel? If so, well done!
I didn't in case I fell flat on my face and embarrassed the DGD.

etheltbags1 Mon 02-Jul-18 17:35:14

I dont know what ive got, Batty, maybe its old age, after all several years ago we were all at retiring age at 60. But im not unhappy ivr had a superday today at sports day and aching a bit but not tired.

oldbatty Mon 02-Jul-18 10:26:13

ethel, could your fatigue and short attention span be depression?

NfkDumpling Mon 02-Jul-18 08:13:24

Yep, Jenpax is right. I get the same sometimes and need to withdraw from the world for a while to let my brain heal!

suzied Mon 02-Jul-18 07:16:32

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it but does your mother get Attendance Allowance? This isn’t means tested or taxed and it does provide money for her to pay for a cleaner, gardener or taxis etc.

natnatroswell22 Mon 02-Jul-18 06:40:44

I suggest you take a time off etheltbags1. Have some time for yourself and try to relax for a bit.

jenpax Mon 02-Jul-18 05:40:28

etheltbags1, yes I have. For me it’s a sign that I am over stretched and it’s my brains way of trying to tell me I need down time and a bit of self care!

etheltbags1 Sat 30-Jun-18 22:18:48

Sorry to go on and on on this subject. I realise my mother will never change but I really do think I am going doolally, I can't stand her presence for more thanhalf an hour, but I'm becoming the same with everyone. If I'm working I lose concentration easily but at home I could read for hours. If I gave our little one to stay, I'm longing for bedtime even when she's good. I could sit for hours playing scramble on my tablet but if my friend comes to visit I just long for her to go. I can only describethis as a mental tiredness. Has anyone ever had this

etheltbags1 Tue 26-Jun-18 22:06:13

Went a bit overboard with the emotis, sorry but my tablet is being a s... tonite

etheltbags1 Tue 26-Jun-18 22:05:13

Things are on an even keel at the minute she's busily looking after her babies, these are her seedlings and busy watching her baby birds in the garden. Wobetide winkshockgrin the local shop if they have no birdseed.

jenpax Fri 22-Jun-18 16:46:13

Glad that her mum is doing better

natnatroswell22 Fri 22-Jun-18 11:34:34

She didn't mention that but she said her mom is doing fine and somebody is accompanying her at the mean time.

jenpax Thu 21-Jun-18 11:26:57

etheltbags1 You haven’t said if you took any of the advice regarding social services, carers assessments or respite care? Please try to access this help now rather than when things again reach crisis point! I can’t see why the online shop suggestion was ignored? You appear to be still slogging around the shops with your mum, that’s exhausting for you and sounds stressful?

natnatroswell22 Thu 21-Jun-18 11:09:13

Good thing you're ok now. I'm also glad that your mom is fine and no longer gives you headaches and troubles.

harrigran Tue 19-Jun-18 09:33:41

Good news Ethel.