Gransnet forums

Health

Electric beds

(14 Posts)
Franbern Sat 25-Jan-20 09:15:00

I treated myself to an electric double bed for my 70th birthday (pressie to myself). This was some years ago, but before that I did masses of research. I wanted a normal sized double (4'6"), and also wanted one with storage drawers underneath.
Found a commercial company on line that seemed to have what I wanted, and I went to them to try out the different mattresses, etc. They came and actually built the bed in my bedroom.
Only one major problem, it is impossible to move - so the only way I can clean underneath it is to raise both ends as high as they will go, pull out the drawers and then get to the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner there.
Was worried when I moved house, one (very major removal) company wanted an extra £700 to take this down and re=build it in my new home. The largish local company I finally used charged no extra and it took them no time at all at both ends.
Must say I do love it, and always miss the facilities it gives me when I am away from home. Lovely for reading, etc. in bed, as well as helping me to sit up to get out in the mornings.
The only time it failed me was when I damaged my spine rather badly and found I was unable to move, although it lifted my back out - obviously it did not drop my legs down to the floor - took me over an hour to get out of bed, and after that I spent the next few nights sleeping on my reclining chair in the living room which did drip my feet down to the floor.
One of my children have one of the double sized ones, which are two single (3') beds that are joined in the middle, they have different types of mattresses and also have their own duvets. Works for them very well.
Brilliant when changing the bottom fitted sheet - just raise both end up and loop over corners and then put both ends back down. So easy!!!

Mamissimo Wed 15-Jan-20 10:51:30

I second Harrigran regarding Hulsta but my DH adores it. I found the adaptability useful when I was in long term recovery from complicated surgery but now that I’m well it is roundly cursed on a nightly basis.

Ours is a king sized with separate mechanisms and mattresses but I cannot get a comfortable mattress for my side. I’ve taken all the advice regarding my height, weight and sleeping position but their best option for me is still like a board!

Hulsta beds are also so quite low and I struggle to get out.

On the plus side my DH doesn’t snore so much with his head raised and he gets ease from acid reflux. I just ache ?!

harrigran Wed 15-Jan-20 10:39:17

We bought an electric bed years ago, Hulsta, and it did everything the adverts said except it was not comfortable.
I thought it would help with reflux but I could never quite get the angle of the mattress correct. If I raised the head of the mattress I slipped down the bed, if I raised the centre portion it was never in the right position for the back of my knees. DH couldn't sleep with me because he liked to sleep flat. In hindsight a bed with two separate mattresses may have worked but I am not convinced.
This very expensive bed collapsed in December and was a nightmare to take apart and dispose of, the size of the battery pack underneath was the size of a small car engine.
The weight of the assembled bed was tremendous and once up you could not move it.

KitKatt Wed 15-Jan-20 07:16:11

I second this www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE3gesBoPwo It was hard to find this exact model nowadays though. And I didn't like the mattress quality, it could be better in my opinion, but the base itself is very durable. You can also look for advice here. Also, consider getting a few additional pillows for your limbs. At least that's what I've done in the first place.

DavaE Thu 09-Jan-20 10:20:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

boodymum67 Fri 01-Nov-19 12:11:42

Hi, an Occupational Therapist would give the best advice on this. Dealers just want to sell a bed!

Susan56 Fri 18-Oct-19 18:06:54

We have recently got an electric bed for my mum.We we’re advised to phone Age UK who recommended a firm for us to use.The rep came out and the bed was made to my mums height and health requirements.It was definitely money well spent.I would definitely recommend phoning Age UK.

craftyone Fri 18-Oct-19 18:02:20

An electric bed is highly recommended for hip pain and acid reflux. It is best to look around houseseller, We had them, two singles together obviously but I have no idea of the make, I gave one away to a charity but kept one and still have it. It would be a go-to for me if I was not controlling gerd. Try the big furniture stores, big department stores and bed stores. Ours were only 2`6 each. You should physically test them

wildswan16 Fri 18-Oct-19 09:58:47

Reported

HeyTheree Fri 18-Oct-19 09:19:46

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Houseseller Tue 05-Jun-18 18:56:20

Thank you for your comments. I have seen doctor about my hip, main reason for the bed is acid reflux, I want to raise the head of the bed. I have looked at mibeds but reviews not very good.

Luckygirl Mon 04-Jun-18 20:42:10

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE3gesBoPwo

This is what we have free from the NHS for my OH.

I am assuming the doc has had a look at the hip.

I tripped over today and fell on my hip replacement - luckily onto carpet and it is sore but I can walk, so no major damage thank goodness.

tanith Mon 04-Jun-18 20:33:56

I really don’t think an electric bed will ease hip pain. Have you seen the doctor about it?

Houseseller Mon 04-Jun-18 20:19:09

Good evening, I am thinking of buying an electric adjustable bed to help ease my painful hip but have no idea which one to choose. Please can anyone help if they have personal experience. Thanks