Gransnet forums

Health

BP reading

(24 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 07-Jun-18 17:08:25

I had my BP checked this morningand the nurse said excellent 140/70, that is perfect. I left the surgery with a smile on my face and so relieved that all was well. When I got home for some reason i Googled this result and was dismayed to find that it is classed as pre-hypertension. do I have to worry or not does anyone know??

Grannyknot Thu 07-Jun-18 17:15:39

Travels you're gonna love me. I did the opposite - I went into the GP practice and took my BP on their DIY pod thingy. Brought the print out home and asked Dr Google whether it was fine (despite the notice on the DIY thingy saying that if there is a problem it would be flagged up). Anyway Dr Google said I was pre-hypertensive. So ... I made an appointment with the GP**, and she said my BP is absolutely fine. grin

** I didn't entirely waste her time, I did have another question to ask.

So sleep peacefully tonight and let's all stay away from Dr Google.

tanith Thu 07-Jun-18 17:20:27

Age comes in to it 140/70 is what my GP says is fine at my age of 69 but for a considerably younger person would be considered borderline Hypertensive.
Yours sounds fine.

Grandma70s Thu 07-Jun-18 17:52:34

I’m 78, and I would be very happy with 140/70.

The nurse at my GP practice said that 100 plus your age used to be considered acceptable for the top figure, but no longer is.

Coolgran65 Thu 07-Jun-18 17:56:51

I think maybe that the lower figure being at 70 helps offset the top figure of 140.
If GP says ok I'd go with that.

OldMeg Thu 07-Jun-18 18:04:13

It’s not ‘excellent’ but it’s acceptable. The 70 is excellent, the 140 is OK given your age. You should perhaps cut down on the booze, the cigarettes and the late nights! ?

Fennel Thu 07-Jun-18 18:15:05

I've never understood these figures, but my doctor was always satisfied with anything around 13/7.

travelsafar Thu 07-Jun-18 18:16:53

OldMeg i dont smoke or drink and dont keep late nights as am always up by 6.30am, pretty boring really!!! lol.

I try to exercise and eat healthy, plenty of fruit, veg and salad, chicken, fish and pulses, i rarely eat red or processed meats, but like most people I lapse when faced with chocolate, biscuits or homemade cake, which is why i no longer bake and only buy rich tea for my husband.
All my siblings have been on BP tablets for many years which is why i worry about mine and try to keep it down. Must try harder with the exercise and food items which are not good for you.

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Jun-18 18:32:44

I hope not travelsafar!

DH's GP said that she will worry when it is over 160 (systolic).
I understood that it is the diastolic (bottom) number which is the one which is of more concern.
I could be wrong, it is just what a sister at the hospital told me.

Luckygirl Thu 07-Jun-18 18:32:53

I have always had v low BP indeed - but the other day I took it as I was feeling a bit grim and thought it might be v low again - it was 148/107!!!!!! It dropped quite soon - don't know what that was about - no handsome men wandering by.

Not happened again.

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Jun-18 18:34:28

Mine was extremely high when it was checked at the hospital a few months ago - and I subsequently came down with a virus.

tanith Thu 07-Jun-18 18:37:22

I always take mine 3 times. My first reading is always scarily high but after 2/3 mins it’s normally about right and the next reading mirrors that usually.

Jane10 Thu 07-Jun-18 18:57:49

I had to do readings twice daily for a week. They averaged out at 146/86. Some were much higher but some lower. The GP said that they wouldn't consider treatment at this level. Big relief to me!

ElaineI Thu 07-Jun-18 23:04:07

140/80 is the top of normal so you are ok. Not everything on google is correct.

Volvariella Wed 13-Jun-18 20:08:18

" I try to exercise".... hmm I am wondering what you mean by this? To lower BP needs plenty of actual exercise and heart thumping stuff several times a week. Very brisk walking for 30 mins a day should work wonders or 60 mins cardio 2-3 times a week eg fitness classes, vigorous gardening, heavy housework (does anyone do this?!) etc. Also are you overweight? If you have extra fat then this can lead to high BP. Keep active and healthy BMI as well as all the other stuff you are doing and it should come down. Also at doc's surgery this a notorious place for being higher than normal - white coat syndrome. Get a home monitor as others have done and see what happens. Mine is usually between 100 and 115 over 65-70 but when measured at docs is sometimes 125-135!!! Quite a big difference.

BlueBelle Wed 13-Jun-18 20:24:32

Don’t worry is the main thing, listen to your nurse and stop googling.

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Jun-18 20:53:41

heart thumping stuff several times a week. Very brisk walking for 30 mins a day should work wonders or 60 mins cardio 2-3 times a week eg fitness classes, vigorous gardening, heavy housework (does anyone do this?!) etc.

How old are you Volvariella?

shock grin

If you decide to follow this advice, do get your GP to check your heart etc first travelsafar!

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Jun-18 20:54:58

heavy housework
What does that entail then?
Lifting the rugs on to the line and beating them?
Doing the washing in a dolly tub and using a mangle?

grannyticktock Wed 13-Jun-18 21:32:35

My BP is normally about 130/76. GP says this is absolutely fine (I'm 70).

JustALaugh Wed 13-Jun-18 23:21:13

My BP had always been 120/80, which the doctor said was "textbook perfect". However, since gaining 2.5st (menopause, hormone tablets, and obviously eating too many cakes etc), it's now higher than that. I saw the GP on Monday, and it was 158/90!! I have got Tonsilitis though (the diet will start again on Monday)

JustALaugh Wed 13-Jun-18 23:22:36

I do a hectic Zumba class for 1 hour, 4 times a week, so I'm fairly active. I also work 2, sometimes 3 days a week

NotAGran55 Thu 14-Jun-18 06:00:19

2 years ago at 60 I was invited to have a MOT at the doctors because I have no ' underlying medical issues ' . I was in the obese weight category then and my BP was 108/60 , with low cholesterol and low resting heart rate .
The only issue I had was my weight ....

I have just been invited again and this time will be in the normal weight range so I am interested to see what effect that has on my readings .

I also have a physically active job now averaging 18000 steps a day , plus several hours in the 'fat burn ' range and '10-30 minutes a day in 'cardio' according to my beloved Fitbit .

travelsafar Thu 14-Jun-18 07:47:08

Volvariella I usually 2 x 30mins of aerobics each week, walk to town at least once a week and during the summer play bowls a couple of times a week.In the winter months i increase my aerobics as bowling ceases in September.I also do all the gardening, cutting lawn and any digging that is required, although my garden is quite established now so doesnt require a lot of digging. I feel i am quite an active person not prone to just sitting about.

Patsy70 Wed 20-Jun-18 21:02:18

It is so very irritating when people who are 'holier than thou' are judgmental before knowing the facts!