Gransnet forums

Health

Tumeric and reflux

(20 Posts)
Nanny2654 Mon 11-Jun-18 07:59:05

Thanks for that link re Omeprazole Bathsheba. I do take Omeprazole intermittently so looks like I shouldn’t be taking the Turmeric caps! Honestly! You think you are doing something good for you then find it isn’t! Very confusing!

Welshwife Sun 10-Jun-18 15:27:27

Thank you for that link Bathsheba - from that I can see neither of us should take it.
Grapefruit is another thing you should be careful with,

Bathsheba Sun 10-Jun-18 14:55:07

You're quite right HildaW. I can't have turmeric because I'm on Omeprazole.

you can read about turmeric drug intereactions here

HildaW Sun 10-Jun-18 14:21:37

Just a thought was in local Neals Yard and a lady was asking about Tumeric....the assistant asked her if she was on certain medications....I was not near enough to hear full conversation but apparently its best not to self 'medicate' with turmeric if you are on some medicines for circulatory problems etc. The dangers of reading something is 'good for you' without fully appreciating the chemistry/biology!

Welshwife Sun 10-Jun-18 13:52:17

If you have really bad reflux you can get to the stage where your diet is just so restricted but you still get it! I got to the point where I could eat or drink very little and eventually did have to agree to take medication from the doctor.
It is not always the foods you would think affect you which do - and different people find different things. I tried various other remedies and a number seemed to work for a while but eventually were insufficient.
It is all well and good to tell people to just stop eating/ drinking things which upset them but not always the answer. I was losing so much weight at the end that I began to get very worried. I have now stabilised but the GP has told me I must not lose too much ‘at my age’!!!

Baggs Sun 10-Jun-18 12:47:02

willow, I see. Thanks for the info.

Juggernaut Sun 10-Jun-18 10:57:44

I drink 'Lucy Bee Organic Turmeric Latté'.
Stirred into warm/hot milk it's lovely as a change from my usual coffee.
I'm sure it's helped my aches and pains, and DH thinks his reflux is slightly better too! He doesn't drink it as often as I do though, he drinks ordinary tea (disgusting muck as far as I'm concerned), so if he drank more maybe his reflux would be a lot better, who knows?

Willow500 Sun 10-Jun-18 10:42:30

Baggs my hairdresser had given up so many foods as they all seemed to cause the reflux - the lettuce and tomatoes were just two of them. I think she's been experimenting to see what she can now reintroduce to her diet. I'll let her know about the capsules Nanny

LynneB59 Sun 10-Jun-18 10:36:15

I agree, Baggs. Just avoid some foods that cause a problem. I don't think there are any nutrients in lettuce..... unless it's eaten by the barrowful.

I had my gallbladder out years ago, but fatty foods still cause a problem for me - I either don't have them, or I eat the stuff and suffer the consequences.

Nanny2654 Sun 10-Jun-18 09:28:55

I have just started taking turmeric capsules, initially for relief of pain in joints but I also suffer from reflux and I have noticed it is not as bad as usual! Not noticed any difference in pain yet and I had a really bad nights sleep last night, brain so active and buzzing. Any connection to the turmeric ?

MawBroon Sun 10-Jun-18 07:26:38

Turmeric tea can be quite nice (DDs actually like it) and I understand turmeric has anti inflammatory health benefits, but if there is bad reflux, medical advice would make more sense.

Baggs Sun 10-Jun-18 07:17:05

In short, if something gives you reflux, stop eating it!

Baggs Sun 10-Jun-18 07:16:11

If salad (what salad? what ingredients? was lettuce the culprit?) and tomatoes made me suffer reflux, I'd stop eating salad (lettuce, I presume) and tomatoes. Bit simpler and more straightforward than drinking a disgusting, powdery drink of turmeric. No?

Any nutrients in lettuce and tomatoes can be found in other foods. They are not essential dietary ingredients.

I use turmeric quite a lot in cooking. I daresay a drinkable drink could be concocted that contained it too so I just don't get the suggested fad. I don't get the supposed importance of not giving up lettuce and tomatoes either. We are awash with alternatives to lettuce and tomatoes.

PamelaJ1 Sun 10-Jun-18 06:32:14

According to Michael Mosley and his team the tablets don’t work. However they weren’t investigating their effectiveness on reflux .

Willow500 Sun 10-Jun-18 06:12:38

Are the tablets as effective Monica? I'll let her know if they are - she did say it wasn't pleasant to drink but she feltthe benefits outweighed that.

M0nica Sat 09-Jun-18 19:15:25

Get tablets. One quick swallow and they are gone and no taste or after taste.

PamelaJ1 Sat 09-Jun-18 12:32:06

Turmeric is fat soluble. Mix it with yoghurt, still tastes disgusting but, hey, you get used to it.
Also helps to reduce inflammation and protect against cancer. Just google trust me......doctor and turmeric.

Welshwife Sat 09-Jun-18 12:01:43

When I tried the turmeric in water I found it does not dissolve in any way and you are aware of having it floating around in the drink. I tried it with honey as well as that was suggested but It was no easier to drink.

Belgravian Sat 09-Jun-18 11:44:04

I tried it and immediately vomited. The taste is beyond disgusting.

I wonder if tablets are as effective as there is no way I can take a sip of turmeric in water without vomiting as it is so foul.

Willow500 Sat 09-Jun-18 07:16:38

I (thankfully) don't suffer from reflux but know some of the GNetters do. My hairdresser suffered terribly from it amongst a host of other ailments but told me the other day she's started having a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup of water every morning and it's worked wonders. She can now eat all the things which previously brought on the reflux (salad and tomatoes for one) and feels loads better. Just thought it might be worth passing on for anyone out who has this condition to try.