Gransnet forums

Health

Carpal tunnel syndrome

(10 Posts)
M0nica Thu 14-Jun-18 23:42:24

Steroid injections are mandatory as a first treatment before you are considered for surgery.

By the time I sought medical advice both my GP and the Consultant were agreed that my symptoms were such, steroids would not work, nevertheless I still had to have them and wait six weeks to see if they would alleviate my symptoms. They didn't, and it just added six weeks to my wait for the op.

I had my op in a private hospital with an NHS contract and I was sedated during the operation, which was done using local anaesthetic, so remember nothing about it. I drifted awake while the stitches were being put in.

Cherrytree59 Thu 14-Jun-18 22:33:22

My DD suffers from carpet tunnel.
Unfortunately it was at its worst just after she had a baby and had to stay with us as struggled to hold her new born.
As she was breast feeding would not take medication even though she was in agony.
The pain was severe.

My DD eventually had steroid injections in both hands and wrists.
Up to a point the injections have been a success.
She still suffers some numbness and has noticed if her weight alters either up or down pain returns, not to the same extent (fingers crossed) as before.

CeliaVL Have you had a diagnosis?

I think that a consultation would probably suggest trying steroid injections before recommending a operation.

M0nica Thu 14-Jun-18 22:11:37

I found splints to be of limited use. But I think my CTS was quite advanced before I visited the doctor and had them suggested.

bikergran Thu 14-Jun-18 21:41:16

I use the splints when I feel the need..they certainly help a lot,if I wear them for about 4 or 5 nights it eases my wrists.

You can buy fancy coloured ones, mine are standard nhs ones that fasten with velcro.

I do have to cut some tubigrip to wear on the inside as the velcro straps are somehow rough.

M0nica Thu 14-Jun-18 20:04:46

I had the operation in February and was quickly back to normal, including doing weeding and all sorts of gardening, decorating, sewing etc.

I have been left with a little residual numbness in one finger, but that is gradually improving. The best part of the operation was the immediate loss of pain in my wrist. The last six months before the op, I was in constant pain.

Nanabilly Thu 14-Jun-18 19:23:50

I know many people who who have had this surgery done as rsi and cts are part and parcel of the job we did . Some were successful but many were not and they either had to have it redone or wear ugly looking wrist supports for ever.

Menopaws Thu 14-Jun-18 18:53:41

Take Rhus Tox 30 and Ruta Grav 30 homeopathic tablets as instructed this will reduce inflammation in tendons, available from most chemists

NanTheWiser Thu 14-Jun-18 18:19:15

I think the op is only offered if the problem is severe, which yours doesn't seem to be, Celia. It seems to be a bit hit and miss whether it works and it does mean your hand would be out of action until healed. Have you tried wrist splints? They can be purchased from most pharmacies, and can help if not too bad. I had an attack some years ago, and wore the splints at night for a few weeks, and not had a problem since.

BlueBelle Thu 14-Jun-18 15:36:41

It runs in our family my mum had two ops which were both fine I ve had one, mine went a bit wrong and I ended up in hospital on an anti biotic drip for five days, my eldest daughter had one done and refused the second as the local anaesthetic didn’t work and she said it was agony having it done ( and she has a very high pain threshold)
The last I heard was the operation isn’t being offered I m not sure if that’s not offered at all or not offered unless it’s really really debilitating
In answer to your main question I don’t think two people are ever the same so probable can’t answer I still get some reactions but not bad like they used to be Sorry if that’s not too helpful

CeliaVL Thu 14-Jun-18 15:19:55

I know this topic was discussed a few years ago, but there doesn't seem to have been any activity on the topic lately, and this is a rather specific query.

I have intermittent carpal tunnel syndrome which occurs after prolonged periods of weeding, fine knitting, embroidery, painting, and other activities that require frequent fine hand movements. Does anyone know, if I have the operation will I then be able to go back to doing these activities for prolonged periods? I like to keep my hands busy most of the time.