Gransnet forums

Health

Pelvic and Abdominal Ultrasound

(24 Posts)
Granny23 Sun 17-Jun-18 09:45:01

I took myself off to the GP a couple of weeks ago to check out a recurring pain. He was reassuring but would send me for a scan to be on the safe side. Appointment came through promptly but was for the first day of our annual, whole family holiday. I phoned, expecting to be put back weeks/months on the waiting list but, instead, was offered a cancellation this Tuesday at 14.00. Unfortunately both DDs have work commitments that they cannot change, but my Dsister has agreed to doing the driving and take DH (who has Dementia) for a tea and a bun while I am in. Nonetheless,Panic has set in....

The blurb says I must have nothing to eat for 6 hours before but must drink and retain a litre of water. Herein lies the BIG (or should that be WEE) problem as I am a Tena lady No matter how hard I try to 'retain' the water will leak out of its own accord. I suppose I can keep topping it up but fear I will disgrace myself during the scan.

Anyone else had one of these? I hear that they press very hard on the abdomen - is this true? Will I be able to keep my incontinence pants on? Will they have 'seen it all before'?

gillybob Sun 17-Jun-18 10:05:13

Yes Granny23 I’ve had this done twice .

I drank half the water at work then waited until I was in the hospital waiting room and drank ( well guzzled ) the rest there. ( I took a bottle of water with me but most departments will offer it) . The scan itself was fine . A bit embarrassing ( the inside bit) but it didn’t hurt at all . Im sure you won’t disgrace yourself during the scan ( it doesn’t last too long ) and they let me pop to the loo after the external bit as they don’t need a full bladder for the internal bit. They do press a little bit ( similar to a baby scan ) but they don’t crush your bladder or anything so please don’t worry too much . They will have seen it all.....plus some !

Hope it goes okay for you . You have have enough on your plate at the moment . smile x

JustALaugh Sun 17-Jun-18 10:05:20

I have had 3 of these scans, over the last 2 years (they were investigating my uterus. I, too, am a Tena lady....as I think most women over a certain age are. I have also got an overactive bladder, for which I'm on medication.

I had to drink all that too, and I drank most of it in the waiting room! They will scan you (yes, they press reasonably hard - more so with anyone plump like I am) with a full bladder, then you will be allowed to go for a wee and return to get dressed. You WILL keep your pants on unless they need put the probe inside (like I had because of what the investigation is for)

They have seen it all before, so try not to worry. Best of luck.

Panache Sun 17-Jun-18 10:09:48

Yes,Yes,yes ............All that you mention is nothing new to those doing these procedures dear lady..........these scans are not painful although you may find the pressure causing you some problems.
However believe me, these people have seen so many differing scenarious that it really is not new,embarrassing or harassing for them.........just be straightforward and tell them exactly what you have told us.
They will be very understanding and will advise you as what is the best way to deal with this.
But do drink,this is imperative.................wishing you good luck and good results granny23

Teetime Sun 17-Jun-18 10:16:19

I have had several of these scans in the last few years and have never been asked to drink water!

Granny23 Sun 17-Jun-18 10:54:49

Thanx Ladies, what you say is very reassuring. I have just had a look at a Litre of water and it is not as much as I feared.

Lazigirl Sun 17-Jun-18 11:00:19

Don't worry, as others have said take water with you. They will let you drink more if you can't drink enough beforehand. It's so they can get a better picture with the bladder full. It's all over in a few minutes.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Jun-18 11:40:26

Had an abdomen scan a week ago, empty tummy but was not asked to drink water. It didn't hurt and took about 15 minutes. diagnosis gallstones, need to see simeone to find out what uf anythung can be done, Never had scans with my children but this is probably what expectant mothers get. Great you have been given an early appt so you can enjoy your holiday. Good luck.

Willow500 Sun 17-Jun-18 12:10:08

My husband has just had an appointment through for his scan next month - they think he has another bladder stone (had one about 6 years ago) and he's been told to drink 1.5 pints of water too. When I had it done some years ago I drank most of it in the waiting room as I have a terrible time holding water. As has been said it doesn't hurt - just a bit uncomfortable as they press on your tummy. Good luck.

Greyduster Sun 17-Jun-18 12:45:59

I had one fairly recently - an ultrasound scan on my kidneys and tubes and a bladder camera, and did the same as gilly. The first time I had to drink before hand I went to the hospital on public transport and had to change buses in town. I had drunk half my water on the bus, but as soon as I got off the I had to nip into M&S as I knew I wouldn’t make it the rest of the way to the hospital. I drank the rest when I got back on the bus, and some more when I got there! They do press a bit, but it’s not too uncomfortable. The worst bit for me is when they ask you to breathe in and hold your breath. I sometimes think they get so engrossed in what they are doing, they forget to ask you to breath out again!! You’ll be fine.

PamelaJ1 Sun 17-Jun-18 13:27:25

I had one last year and did the same as most of you.
I live about an hour away from the hospital so did my drinking there.
For the external ultrasound I kept my knickers on so you could still wear a pad I imagine.
I groaned when she said she needed to do an internal but she just laughed and sent me to the loo. The internal wasn’t painful or uncomfortable.

Luckygirl Sun 17-Jun-18 13:32:00

I had a scan the other week that required a litre of water to be drunk in the hour before the scan. I was a bit concerned as I too am on of the TLS (Tena Lady Sisterhood). I put on two pads! - drank half a litre at home - drove in and sipped the rest from a water bottle in the waiting room. I also went to the loo a lot!

But all was well - good luck. Knit your knees, as my Mum used to say!

travelsafar Sun 17-Jun-18 15:29:18

Oh i remember this well when i was pregnant and had to have a scan with a full bladder, it is horrible as you DO worry that you will have an accident. Hope it goes well for you.

goldengirl Sun 17-Jun-18 16:09:41

I've got a similar scan booked for next week and have also been told to drink a litre of water to check the bladder. Like other posters I also need to go to the loo several times a day and often every hour and I certainly wear a pad if I'm travelling. Thanks for all of your reassurances - very helpful.

harrigran Mon 18-Jun-18 07:02:39

I have had a lot of CT scans and in each case I had to drink 2 litres of water, one before the procedure and one after. Plenty of toilets to pass on the way out of the hospital but the dodgy bit was getting home in the car. I always had on a Tena lady.

Granny23 Tue 19-Jun-18 15:51:30

Well that's me all done and dusted. Found a (very rare) parking place near the door so was early. Was taken in immediately, no stripping off, just pull up top and push trousers down. Managed to hold my water and was directed to the toilet as soon as they were finished. I was actually out of the building and back at the car by my appointment time. Results should be with my GP within 5 days.

Now home and have enjoyed my 1st coffee and meal of the day. Scottish Health Service at its best.

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 19-Jun-18 15:53:30

Well done, I’m pleased it went well for you

Luckygirl Tue 19-Jun-18 16:35:21

Good news!

travelsafar Tue 19-Jun-18 18:28:01

so pleased for you and as for the parking, words fail me!!! lol.

Campaspe Fri 22-Jun-18 17:33:56

I have to have a pelvic ultrasound to rule out possible endometrial cancer. I have this booked for next week, but wonder if you get the results at the ultrasound, or if you have to wait? Would be grateful for anyone willing to share their experiences.

Granny23 Fri 22-Jun-18 18:22:16

I did ask the radiographer but she said they are not allowed to 'diagnose' because they are not qualified to do so. She did say that the results should reach my GP within 5 days, so not long to wait.

goldengirl Sat 23-Jun-18 22:09:21

I had a '5 organ' ultra sound scan and phew! didn't wet myself [my main worry] - in fact the radiographer said my bladder was only half full!!! It certainly didn't feel only half full confused. It was a bit uncomfortable and I had to hold my breath occasionally a few times on request but the worst bit was wiping off all the gel; virtually every bit of my torso was 'gelled' - I recommend wearing a pad but I never thought to take one as it really did wet my knickers in spite of my efforts blush. The results were OK though thankfully.

Granny23 Mon 25-Jun-18 18:39:34

Got my scan result today as promised. Apparently, everything is 'Satisfactory'. Hooray!

annodomini Mon 25-Jun-18 20:11:55

I had a US scan to rule out any evidence of abdominal aortic aneurysm as my dad died of one and my sister has had a small aneurysm diagnosed. Apparently they can run in families. Anyway there was no sign of aneurysm, but my GP rang up to let me know that the scan had detected 'numerous' gallstones. I'd never suspected that!