Gransnet forums

Health

Phobias.

(45 Posts)
NanKate Mon 18-Jun-18 20:56:24

I am having hypnotherapy for a stress related problem. The hypnotherapist asked if I had any phobias and I said big dogs. She said in a week or so we could deal with this.

Has anyone here had therapy for a phobia and has it worked ?

natnatroswell22 Mon 02-Jul-18 06:23:21

Thanks for the information Azie!

humptydumpty Fri 22-Jun-18 15:27:08

My daughter was treated by a different hypnotherapist, but at the same clinic Azie09!

Azie09 Fri 22-Jun-18 15:13:29

humptydumpty she was called Linda Flanagan. She lives near Witney but was practising at a clinic in Summertown when I lived in Oxford. I would highly recommend her, she was very good.

humptydumpty Fri 22-Jun-18 14:51:23

My DD had very successful treatment of fear of flying from hypnotherapy, interestingly as for Azie09 it was also in Oxford.

NanKate Fri 22-Jun-18 14:29:57

Thanks ALL for your encouraging words. ???

DanniRae Fri 22-Jun-18 13:53:27

What a lovely thing to say Anniebach - I am sure NanKate will really appreciate your kind words smile

Anniebach Fri 22-Jun-18 11:43:05

NanKate, your optimistic self is there , it has been covered by a blanket of stress but it is there and you can and will be able to push that blanket away . you Can do it my love X

natnatroswell22 Fri 22-Jun-18 11:28:21

Well that's great news! I know you'll be fine in no time.

NanKate Thu 21-Jun-18 14:34:13

Thanks Nat I feel things are on the turn in a more positive way for my family so I hope to return to my optimistic self before too long.

natnatroswell22 Thu 21-Jun-18 10:57:29

Glad that you are satisfied NanKate. I hope this works for you and eventually you'll overcome your phobia as well as your stress. God bless!

MagicWriter2016 Wed 20-Jun-18 20:53:15

Heights is my biggest fear. Even watching things on a video of things like these young men who sit on top of huge buildings dangling their feet over the side. Even writing this now makes the butterflies start to congregate internally! And there is no way you will ever get me to stand on that glass plate thing at the top of Blackpool Tower. And I seem to be getting worse the older I get brrrrrrrrr!

Cathie58 Wed 20-Jun-18 17:12:19

Hello All,

I am new here though have been very interested to read various threads. I am a hypnotherapist and had one session of hypnosis with a teenage boy who could not leave the house because of his phobia of flying insects. He left the session with me having got rid of the phobia and went out with his friends very happily after. His mother later sent feedback that the change in him was wonderful.

Fennel Wed 20-Jun-18 16:35:00

jenpax - like me (mentioned above). I also have a compulsion to jump off a high place - maybe I was a bird in a former life.
We used to live near the Humber Bridge and I never dared drive across it.

jenpax Wed 20-Jun-18 16:27:16

My main phobia is a fear of heights! Even watching tv where someone stands on the edge of a tall building makes me feel sick and dizzy! It hasn’t really impacted my life, I can still go to Beachy Head ( in my home town) but I don’t go near the edge, same in any other high place, as long as I don’t stand near the edge I am ok?
I also have mild claustrophobia so pot holing would definitely be out ?

KatyK Wed 20-Jun-18 15:40:54

mrsjones There are lots of people who have this phobia. I have been on medication for high BP for 15 years with no problems whatsoever about having it taken. Then about 6 months ago after a very stressful time in my life, I took it and it was a bit higher than usual. For some reason, I started to panic and each time I took it, it went up and up to extremely high levels. I saw my GP and was so stressed in the surgery that once again it was sky high. To be honest she didn't seem unduly concerned and said it was 'white coat syndrome' and told me to take it myself when I was calm. However, I am now so scared to take it that it has become a phobia. Every time I think about it, I feel as though I am going to have a heart attack or something. Honestly, what next.

DanniRae Wed 20-Jun-18 14:36:32

Hi luzdoh - can you please let me know how to find a reliable hynotherapist? Before I read your posts I was about to make an appointment with someone local who I now don't think has the proper qualifications. So I would really appreciate your advice.

mrsjones Wed 20-Jun-18 13:52:13

KatyK I also have a blood pressure phobia and thought that I was the only one. I’m on meds for high b.p. but not convinced I need them.

Granny23 Wed 20-Jun-18 12:17:52

I also had a fear of needles, blood and dentists. I passed out several times because of this. When I was pregnant the first time, the Consultant, having had dinner the previous evening with the Consultant Psychiatrist, sent me to him to see if he could help. He took me back to the first time I had passed out, which was when I had my Polio Jag at 11yo. I had it at school, having stood in a long line watching others get theirs. Returned to the classroom feeling hot and dizzy. Teacher told me to put my head between my knees and helped me take off my blazer, revealing that my blouse sleeve was literally soaked in blood. No one else in the class had this happen.

Psychiatrist, explained that this incident had triggered the phobia, made me think that needles/blood meant I would bleed to death. He decreed that I was to have no more blood tests at the clinic for the time being, but at my next appointment the new Doctor declared this to be nonsense, said that the more blood tests and injections I had the better - I would soon get used to it. He then proceeded to ram the needle into my arm, it broke and my blood shot out all down him and me. He walked out and the lovely big motherly nurse extracted the needle, comforted me and stopped the bleeding.

Why have I told this story in all its gory detail? Well partly because I now can picture the scene without feeling sick and partly to illustrate that it was this horrendous incident that cured me of the phobia, because I did not die, went back to work afterwards, and have been able to cope with 2 births, a miscarriage, dental treatment and the draining of a myriad of breast cysts, thereafter.

Marieeliz Wed 20-Jun-18 10:27:21

For years I had a fear of needles and blood. I actually fainted once when the blood donor people walked into the office to ask for volunteers. As I have got older and the needles finer I have managed to get over it. I refused to go the hospital many times for fear of needles.

NanKate Tue 19-Jun-18 18:35:28

Thanks Luzdoh and other’s for your good advice. We did our homework beforehand on this hypnotherapist. I had to do a lot of preparation before meeting her. A good part of the session was counselling and then some hypnotherapy.

We agreed that if I felt after one session this was not for me we would stop there. She has given me homework via meditation to do, which is easy as I meditate most days anyway. She has also given me advice of leading a healthy lifestyle. So all in all I was was satisfied.

I live in the Thames Valley and everything is mega expensive compared with other places. We definitely could not live here now if we wanted to move into the town. A 3 bedroom end of terrace house goes for between £500,000 to £600,000. ? How young people buy here I don’t know.

Thanks All.

KatyK Tue 19-Jun-18 18:25:09

That's kind of you luzdoh smile I'm a very nervous person by nature and have had a lot of trauma in my life. I think sometimes anxiety can manifest itself in the strangest ways. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually.

luzdoh Tue 19-Jun-18 17:54:29

KatyK I guess phobias are ridiculous, but because yours is so unusual you feel a bit silly. I feel very sorry for you in fact. It's not your fault. I will try and think of a way round it. It seems a shame you have to worry about it. Good luck, sometimes phobias just stop! You never know!

luzdoh Tue 19-Jun-18 17:48:00

Yellowmellow Some things aren't for desensitisation in the rapid sense! Just forget it! Let the peculiar people deal with them!
After all, how much does it matter? Or could a money-s be considered lucky? and harmlessly small and friendly?
I had to force myself to catch a s (I won't be too graphic for your sake) once. Ever since I've still felt sick but remembered I'm supposed to be the s-catcher!

Yellowmellow Tue 19-Jun-18 17:03:50

Spiders, spiders and spiders....and I would be too terrified to 'have therapy'. I'm a therapist and I know what I'd be in store for lol x Not ready, if ever, to face that

luzdoh Tue 19-Jun-18 16:43:33

7 lines from the end,
"they are to hypnotised"
should read
when they arenot hypnotised

Sorry, second time today "not" has become "to"!!