Gransnet forums

Health

Health carpal tunnel op

(7 Posts)
PaintG1 Fri 27-Jul-18 16:19:10

Has anybody else had the carpal tunnel op done on the right hand if they are right handed?I had it done on the left hand & it was'nt a problem at all but have just had the rt.hand done & it was one of the worse pains Ive ever had.The shooting pains going up my fingers was unbearable-I'm now 6 weeks since the op & its just feeling a bit better.The hospital told me I wd. be driving within 2 weeks-I'm still not.

M0nica Fri 27-Jul-18 16:27:49

Yes, I have, earlier this year, The first week my hand was very painful. Something got pushed into the palm of my hand and I had to be scraped off the ceiling, but it gradually got better. I was left with one finger numb, one unaffected previously by the CTS, but I was advised to massage a lump of hard tissue that I could feel in my hand and it is gradually improving.

Minty Fri 27-Jul-18 18:02:14

I have had both wrists done without any problems at all.

BlueBelle Fri 27-Jul-18 19:02:19

Me too Minty I was told they weren’t doing it any more maybe that’s just my area though Mine was successful but at the time they overstitched the wound which got infected and I ended up in hospital on a drip for a few days then they had to give me gas and air to get the stitches out The nurse could hardly find them
My mum had both hands done successfully and my eldest daughter had hers done her second one didn’t numb properly and she was in agony while it was being done but no problems afterwards
I wonder if they nicked a nerve Painf

Marydoll Fri 27-Jul-18 19:06:08

I think everyone's experience is different. Some people feel better soon after the op and have no further problems.
Unfortunately, two years after my op, my hand is still extremely painful, keeps me awake at night and I'm still attending the hand clinic.
I hope you find some relief soon.

PaintG1 Sat 28-Jul-18 11:54:33

I think Marydoll was right that everyone's experience is different but I do feel that I should have had a warning from the hospital that I might be in a considerable amount of pain afterwards- it was rather like the dentist hitting the nerve every few seconds.

poliq Wed 15-Aug-18 08:20:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.