Gransnet forums

Health

Future of a dead tooth

(8 Posts)
Jules53 Wed 01-Aug-18 22:31:15

Three years ago I had a problem with a lower molar. Root canal treatment was attempted but unfortunately it was impossible to carry this out I was advised to have the tooth removed. I completely freaked out about having to lose this tooth which is adjacent to a gap, hence it would leave me with a double gap. I am also missing an upper molar on the left and right hand side. This dead tooth is not causing me any problem and is firmly fixed in my gum. Has anyone left a dead tooth in place for several years? Any advice or words of comfort would be welcome.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Aug-18 22:34:42

I have, I feel slightly ashamed to say, because the tooth is almost black now.
Luckily its towards the back of my teeth.
I'm sure I wasn't told this would happen, or given the option of having it extracted.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Aug-18 22:36:45

Oh! I suppose that wasn't very comforting, but I have to say I never have any trouble at all with the tooth, even though the rest of them are in poor shape.

stella1949 Wed 01-Aug-18 22:40:16

Since it's at the back and not visible, why not just get it taken out ? I've got only a few molars left and there is no problem with eating - you just get used to not having them there.

You can live with the dead tooth if you like - just be aware that it can develop an infection.

Peep Wed 01-Aug-18 22:52:11

Yes, I’ve had a dead eye tooth for 38 years now, when the discolouration got too bad the dentist fitted a veneer on the front of it.

Melanieeastanglia Thu 02-Aug-18 00:08:55

I suppose you could leave it until it starts to give trouble. If it causes pain, I'd certainly have it removed. If it is near the front of your mouth, you could perhaps have some sort of denture.

BlueBelle Thu 02-Aug-18 08:05:51

I d leave well alone yes you can get infections but i d face that if it happens I had a broken tooth it was broken off at the back of the tooth so not noticeable the dentist wanted to remove it i stubbornly said no thanks and had it for about twelve years before I did get an infection and eventually lose it

Jules53 Fri 03-Aug-18 07:58:24

Thank you all for your helpful comments