Gransnet forums

Health

Question for you ladies who've had a hysterectomy

(106 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Sun 05-Aug-18 08:29:19

I'm nearly 61 and am considering having one. I have recurrent postmenopausal bleeding and am fed up with having to be investigated for possible uterine cancer every time I have a bleed - the stress is horrendous and I want to be done with it.

I know it's major surgery and not a decision to be taken lightly and I've read about long-term problems such as increased risk of pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence. It would be very helpful to hear about your experiences and how long ago you had the surgery. Is it a decision you're happy you made or do you regret it?

Imarocker Wed 27-Mar-24 20:59:53

MaggieTulliver

I'm glad to hear that you've been side-effect free Humber. Do you mind me asking how old you are now? I'm seeing my consultant in a couple of weeks so it hasn't been discussed yet.

Sorry for the delay - I’m now in my 70s. Had the op when I was 45. Went onto HRT after the op. Never regretted it.

Tricia2 Wed 27-Mar-24 20:38:25

I had a hysterectomy about 20 years ago and i and very few side affects, if any. It took a few months but afterwards i felt better than I had in years. They did not take the ovaries.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:57:05

Mummy1234

Anyone had loose stools 6 days after having hysterectomy and prolapses repair’s please I’m very worried

This Thread is very old,( 2018) it might be an idea to start a new thread?

Mummy1234 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:41:44

Hello I’m 71 and had hysterectomy and prolapses repairs done vaginal surgery. Cannot believe how good I feel ,even though I still have catheter in for peeing .i was so scared but so glad I have had it done

Oldbat1 Sun 17-Mar-24 17:34:46

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy due to large fibroids plus i had ovaries removed. Felt wonderful as soon as i came round. Struggled to walk at first. No hrt unfortunately as gp felt cancer risk!!! so into immediate menopause. I was told i could drive as soon as i could safely do emergency stop! I returned to work within 6 weeks. I was 50. No issues 20years later except still have occasional hot flushes!!!

Madgran77 Sun 17-Mar-24 17:24:46

20 years ago full hysterectomy including ovaries. No problems. But ..be aware of increased risk of osteoporosis. Ask about taking Adcal (Vit D and calcium) Ask for a Dexa scan to check bone density. Starting early on monitoring that can avoid problems later

Luckygirl3 Sun 17-Mar-24 14:20:23

I would have a chat with your doc. It could be caused by anything, including an infection. I am glad your operation is behind you and hope that you can speedily get over this little blip.

Mummy1234 Sun 17-Mar-24 13:06:27

Anyone had loose stools 6 days after having hysterectomy and prolapses repair’s please I’m very worried

Flossie13 Sat 07-Dec-19 09:56:01

Hi Maggie I'm.8 weeks post hysterectomy done by keyhole I had stage 1b endometrial cancer and I can honestly say I feel great no problems whatsoever obviously everyone is different but I got myself up and walking and tried to avoid painkillers as much as I could in my mind they mask how your body is feeling and how much you are capable of

GagaJo Tue 17-Sep-19 23:26:24

Total hysterectomy 7 years ago at 47 as I have the BRCA1 gene. I had breast cancer and wanted to do everything I could to prevent a new cancer.

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy, which also took my ovaries. I woke up the day after the op and felt so well I didn't believe they'd done it. No scar, no pain, nothing felt ANY different.

Possibly going into town, on the metro, 3 days after major surgery was foolish... Had to rest for a few days after that.

Back at work in 4 weeks. No probs at all at any point.

Ktmc Fri 13-Sep-19 22:41:28

I had a radical hysterectomy 4 months ago aged 49 due to a large tumour on my ovary and still feel quite shit been back at work for 3 weeks I’m very tired and still get sore put on weight and sick of living in jogging bottoms wish I’d not done it

Willynilly Sat 03-Aug-19 21:33:58

I can't thank you enough ladies. After many years of freedom (following aballative surgery) I am once again having problems and due to begin investigations next week for PMB. I'm scared but relieved to know, after reading this thread, that it can be ok. MaggieTulliver if you want to chat, please feel free to pm me and we can compare notes.

BBbevan Sat 03-Aug-19 15:51:55

I had a hysterectomy in the early 80s when I was 35. Due to heavy bleeding and fibroids. I have a long bikini scar. My overlies were left. 10 days in hospital, then home for 6 weeks rest. I could have taken the option of 2weeks convalescence at the seaside, but ent away with the whole family instead. Didn't do a thing , just sat in the sun. Never had any problems whatsoever. Really glad I had it done. I was much much better afterwards, and no contraception worries or periods

Framilode Sat 03-Aug-19 15:49:41

I had mine when I was in my mid fifties for uterine cancer. It was done abdominally. After the recovery period I had no problems.

hugona Sat 03-Aug-19 15:37:30

Bull sheet, only positive aspects of hysterectomy? no problems with depresia, urinary incontinence, painfull not satisfacitory sex, frequent pelvic pains?

mande Wed 08-Aug-18 12:12:44

I had a hysterectomy at age 61 to remove a large growth in my uterus three years ago. The surgeon also removed my ovaries as there was a concern about cancer even though the MRI suggested otherwise. It completely ruined my life. I immediately went into a second menopause. I lost my energy and went from someone who could easily walk 3-5 miles in a morning to someone who had to drag herself out of bed in the morning. Hrt had helped a little but other health issues have arisen as a direct result of losing my ovaries. The consultant says it is a result of loss of muscle tone as a result of loss of hormones. I have had to give up work but I make the most of each day and know I must not do too much to tire myself. The hrt clinic says what happened to me is rare but that it does happen to a few women. If you are considering a hysterectomy do think carefully about allowing them to take your ovaries away as well.

littleflo Wed 08-Aug-18 09:49:52

With regard to recovery mine was relatively easy and pain free. My two bits of advice are, even if you feel really well, do not take risks and try to do to much. Just a little thing like moving a plant pot can set you back. The second is to try to get a fit as you can before the operation. Power walking, just ordinary walking if you cannot manage that and swimming will strengthen your muscles. Good luck, please let us know how your. Appointment goes,

MaggieTulliver Wed 08-Aug-18 09:12:00

I work for a GP Jobey and help with referrals. I can't see that a GP would or could refuse to refer you privately for consideration of a hysterectomy. You should see some of the things our GPs do private referrals for! Do you think your private insurance might not cover the procedure unless it's considered medically necessary?

Jobey68 Tue 07-Aug-18 21:46:44

Thank you Maggie, I am 3 years post diagnosis and doing well ????The ironic thing is I have work place private health insurance but without a GP referral I can't use that!

Hatpev Tue 07-Aug-18 21:40:05

Hysterectomy 2 years ago at age of 64 due to a large benign ovarian tumour. Was quite debilitated before operation (and considering buying maternity trousers to cover fat tummy). Bikini cut and everything removed. Recovered quickly but at 10 months I suddenly noticed a huge surge in energy levels and weight finally began to drop a bit. Have just spent 10 weeks caravanning around Europe. I could not have contemplated this before operation as so tired all the time. Obviously we are all different but it has changed my life for the better.

NfkDumpling Tue 07-Aug-18 21:30:42

Good Luck!

MaggieTulliver Tue 07-Aug-18 21:11:33

Hi Jobey, I hope you've recovered fully from your breast cancer and your menopause is around the corner so the periods stop! I am anticipating resistance, will update towards the end of next week!

Jobey68 Tue 07-Aug-18 21:00:29

I would love a hysterectomy, I'm 50 and have had breast cancer , still have regular heavy periods unfortunately but the still won't give me one even though I argue that I'm better off without the ovaries after having cancer but they are having none of it as we have oestrogen in other places including our fat. Good luck with convincing the powers that be!

NannaM Tue 07-Aug-18 15:45:31

(as opposed to a Family Sedan)!

NannaM Tue 07-Aug-18 15:44:48

I became a Sports Model over 40 years ago. Best.Decision.Ever!