Gransnet forums

Health

Best home care tips for an Alzheimer's patient

(5 Posts)
alansymonds78 Mon 06-Aug-18 12:39:50

Hello friends,
My grandmother 95 years old. She recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So I need to suggestions about daily routines for an Alzheimer's patient?

Liz46 Mon 06-Aug-18 12:46:51

We found the Alzheimer's Society a help. Also our GP put us in touch with an EMI (elderly mentally ill) nurse who was the best help ever. I don't know if these still are available. If I ever had a problem he would tell me exactly what to do. I think you have to watch out for her becoming unsafe. In my mother's case, it was the cooker. Think Attendance Allowance to pay for help. Also maybe a key lock by the front door?

ninathenana Mon 06-Aug-18 13:01:53

Sorry to sound facetious but I found with mum routines were impractical. She would get up when she wanted, eat when she wanted. Shower on the days she decided.
All this despite gentle coaxing and sometimes even bribery in the form of her favourite biscuits ect.
Only advice I have is that it's pointless to argue with them, walk away and try again later. If your asked the same question 10 times never say I told you XYZ just repeat the answer.
May I suggest you join Talking Pount forum. Lots of helpful advice, and a place to rant if nesessary to people who understand including those who have been diagnosed.

ninathenana Mon 06-Aug-18 13:03:00

Talking Point

ella99 Thu 27-Sep-18 16:36:52

You may check www.devotedhc.com/ - they have different services of this kind, including Alzheimers