Gransnet forums

Health

MRI results

(20 Posts)
MargaretX Wed 08-Aug-18 04:31:02

In Germany it is usual for the consultant to see you after the scan and tell you the results especially if everything was OK

If it is serious you get another appointment and it is your right to have a copy of the results.

Jobey68 Tue 07-Aug-18 21:22:59

Wot I had an MRI recently on my knee, it really wasn't so bad, I was in up to my chest with my head sticking out but they spoke to me regularly and the time soon flew, can't say it was the most relaxing experience as it was so noisy, like being in the middle of road works but it wasn't traumatic, you can take someone with you for reassurance if you need to.
Results can be obtained from your GP, I had an x Ray prior to MRI and got a copy of results from my surgery on request, I have an follow up with consultant next month for MRI so will wait until then but I could ask for results in the mean time if I wanted to.
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer they sent me Copies of every consultation when I really could have done without it, you can't win can you!!

travelsafar Tue 07-Aug-18 21:11:34

Rang my surgery and they sorted things out.

I am collecting the report tomorrow morning.

Thanks for telling what to do ContraryMary88

wot Tue 07-Aug-18 16:40:55

Thank you!

silverlining48 Tue 07-Aug-18 16:24:01

Be careful with diazepam, they are very good at relaxing you but 6 is a lot to take at one time. Maybe Check again. You usually take them about half hour before the procedure. If it helps my husband only got one before his cataract surgery, but I spoke to my gp who said up to 4 was ok so took 4 prior to dental work, which really was too many. When I went back I only took 2. Which still worked.
I recently had an mri and took nothing, I listened to music relaxed and lay very still. It was really ok.
Try 3 after the echo and half hour before the mri. I am sure you will be fine, honestly.

ContraryMary88 Tue 07-Aug-18 15:30:11

wot ask if somebody can stay with you, a friends husband went in with her and held her foot, as she is so claustrophobic and he couldn’t get close to her hands.

Obviously he didn’t have any metal bits in him.

Maybe one of the nursing staff would stay with you if you tell them how bad your phobia is?

Gymstagran Tue 07-Aug-18 13:41:11

I closed my eyes before going into the machine and kept them closed until I was out again. I tried visualising being on a beach with perfect temperature and rolling waves. It is noisy but breeze blows over your face so that helps. Hope it goes well.

travelsafar Tue 07-Aug-18 11:33:21

Oh bless you wot i can imagine that was an awful experience. I too felt a little wary when having my scan, i think my face showed it as i was going into the tunnel feet first.The young lady stopped the machine and gave me reassurance and that made me feel so much better.I just laid still and closed my eyes until it was over.Its the going in which i think is the worse thing. The noise wasnt an issue as they gave me earplugs and speakers to block most of it out. I really hope they can help you, it is a marvellous invention and i am so thankful it is available to help with so health issues

wot Tue 07-Aug-18 11:03:22

My MRI is coming up on the 16th August (I have cancelled two appointments) and im still dreading it due to claustrophobia. I know it's irrational but that doesn't change how I am going to feel. The gp has given me six diazepam but im not sure when to take them as I may need an echocardiogram first and don't want the drug to wear off by the time of the MRI. This one's for my heart. I had one in 2002 for a cranial aneurysm and having that cage over my head is what created my fear of MRIs can anyone please help me with this???

Willow500 Tue 07-Aug-18 08:56:47

I've never had copies of the results of either CT or MRI scans - the GP gave me them when I went back. Good luck travelsafar

Welshwife Tue 07-Aug-18 08:53:33

In France it is normal for the patient to get a copy of any scan and the written report before they leave the clinic. You get blood test results a few days later in the post although the doctor gets them the same day and will ring if there is a problem.

travelsafar Tue 07-Aug-18 08:14:18

I never thought of contacting the surgery i will do that a bit later when the morning rush has finished.smile

ContraryMary88 Tue 07-Aug-18 07:55:33

Sorry gillybob took me so long to type my post out and now I’ve just repeated yours.

ContraryMary88 Tue 07-Aug-18 07:54:30

Contact the receptionist at your surgery and ask for a copy of the MRI report, they will contact the Dr. and I’m sure she will let you have a copy, alternatively send the Surgery an email with your request.
Our DD never had a copy but the MRI operator showed her her results at the time and explained things to her ( he said he didn’t normally do it) and I never had any copies of the reports when I had mine for a spinal problem, but this was some years ago now. Good luck with your op.

gillybob Tue 07-Aug-18 07:51:51

Could you not ring the consultants secretary and ask for a copy of the letter that went to your GP (often electronically these days) or even a detailed explanation of the findings ?

travelsafar Tue 07-Aug-18 07:49:24

Thank you for replies.I have seen GP and she has referred me to spinal surgeon 'gulp' but as she spoke in medical terms i would have liked a copy to refer back to and research prior to my appintment with surgeon so that i could prepare any questions i may have.

gillybob Tue 07-Aug-18 07:34:00

Yes travelsafar my DH and I both usually get our results at our next appointments. If there is something more urgent you will probably get a letter moving your appointment forward.

Marydoll Tue 07-Aug-18 07:30:05

I have never had a letter after an MRI, my consultant has always given me the result at my next appointment.
If there is anything serious showing up, they will contact you ASAP.
In saying that, if there is some time between the scan and my next appointment,. I just phone his secretary.
I take it you have had a recent one. I hope your results are good.

tanith Tue 07-Aug-18 07:26:20

My husband usually gets a copy of the letter sent to the GP of results but I don’t think he got one for his CT scans or MRI.

travelsafar Tue 07-Aug-18 07:22:38

Normally when you have been to a hospital appointment you get a letter telling you the outcome of that visit.Does anyone know if you get the same for an MRI scan. I know the gp has the results as i have seen her so i know the outcome but it would be helpful to have the written word. I know you don't get a letter after an x ray so just wondered if it i the same for a scan.