Gransnet forums

Health

Allergy to antibiotics

(16 Posts)
Sheena Mon 13-Aug-18 21:32:34

I expect there are many of you like me who are allergic to the main antibiotics, the penicillins and the cephalasporins . So, has anyone found a natural type of antibiotic.. or indeed one that they aren't allergic to?
I am now 69 and have been lucky in my later years that I haven't needed any such medication, but I am now experiencing rotten toothache, and my fear is that the dentist is going to say I have an infection.
Yikes ! I do hope not, but I wondered if there is anything you could suggest I could try?

M0nica Mon 13-Aug-18 21:38:08

My allergy is to penicillin and associated products but I can take other antibiotics that are not on the penicillin spectrum.

It is such a long time since I last needed any, in fact, I cannot remember when they were last prescribed, 20 years ago or more? I have no idea, so I cannot remember what I had in the place of penicillin. However, I have always found most doctors are really very careful what they prescribe for people like you or me, who cannot take penicillin

Nannarose Mon 13-Aug-18 21:42:11

My only suggestion is to get advice quickly. Tooth infections are especially nasty. There are are antibiotics that you can take, but more importantly, you should be under the care of the dentist so that other steps can be taken if necessary.

MargaretX Mon 13-Aug-18 21:59:30

I am allergic to penicillin as welL
I think more modern ones are not linked.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 22:06:18

I sometimes am prescribed two different antibiotics instead of penicillin for tooth problems.

Marydoll Mon 13-Aug-18 22:49:42

I'm allergic to penicillin and metronidazole ( Flagyl).
I was very unwell after mistakenly being given it in a drip during my hysterectomy op.
I had a spinal block and sedation and through a haze, heard the surgeon asking for it to be given intravenously, but I couldn't get the words out to stop him.

Marydoll Mon 13-Aug-18 22:51:46

There are alternatives suitable for mouth infection.
I needed an antibiotic for a mouth infection, but I can't for the life of me remember what was prescribed.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 22:52:04

In terms of natural antibiotics, I think echinacea (which looks like I may have spelt it wrong!) is supposed to be good.

Teetime Tue 14-Aug-18 07:06:51

Be absolutely clear with any clinicain you see what you are allergic too and make sure its put in their notes. They will precribe an alternative...I dont think a 'natural' antibiotic if one exists will do the trick. Hope it gets better soon.

Humbertbear Tue 14-Aug-18 07:58:05

I am allergic to penicillin and have noticed that every doctor looks dismayed when I tell them.

NfkDumpling Tue 14-Aug-18 08:05:26

No advice for the immediate toothache problem but - DiL is allergic to most painkillers and went to Addenbrooks, Cambridge for allergy tests and they eventually found one which only had minor side effects. Can you be tested to find an antibiotic which is ok?

Sar53 Tue 14-Aug-18 08:08:47

I too am allergic to penicillin. For my fairly frequent chest infections I am prescribed Doxycycline. Throat infections I usually take Clarithromycin.
I hope you sort out the toothache very soon.

FlexibleFriend Tue 14-Aug-18 08:37:02

I'm allergic to penicillin and several other antibiotics too numerous to mention. I'm also allergic to multiple other meds and Doctors look at me in disbelief when they suggest something and I tell them the side effects. I've just avoided all forms of antibiotic for the past 35 years but have discovered since then I'm allergic to virtually every pain killer under the sun. I'm having knee surgery in September and just hoping I don't react to anything.

Sheena Tue 14-Aug-18 14:40:07

Thank you everyone for your replies smile

And Flexible Friend.. good luck with your op in September shamrock

adwlp57 Thu 30-Aug-18 00:27:46

I use OPC's - natural antioxidant - heard of them?
Does the trick for me!

drmanishkhanna Mon 03-Sep-18 10:15:42

I think allergy is common problem. Most of the people suffering from this problem. so find the allergy and get treatment.