Gransnet forums

Health

Help with anxiety

(13 Posts)
DanniRae Tue 14-Aug-18 12:25:03

Has any one tried 5HTP for anxiety. I am tempted to give it a go as I have read quite a few good reports about it. I will be very grateful for any replies.........and thank you in advance.

silverlining48 Tue 14-Aug-18 16:51:16

Sorry but not sure what this is. Hope you get a reply from someone who can help. Good luck.

Bookatbedtime Tue 14-Aug-18 18:53:20

Yes I have used it in the past to good effect. Hope you soon start to feel better.

Luckygirl Tue 14-Aug-18 18:59:27

Looked it up - by gum it can have dangerous consequences. Worth looking it up if you are thinking of taking it.

janeainsworth Tue 14-Aug-18 19:30:44

I think I’d be more inclined to go to the doctor and ask for help, either counselling or drug therapy, dannii.
I hope you feel better soon.

ContraryMary88 Tue 14-Aug-18 19:59:49

A couple of reviews suggest that it isn’t that effective on its own for anxiety, plus the potential side effects would make me go to my GP first.

rubytut Tue 14-Aug-18 20:29:10

I have no personal knowledge of 5HTP but have suffered with anxiety, a distressing condition which affects all aspects of your life. I went down the hypnotherapy and meditation route where I learned how to calm myself, this was many years ago but I still use the methods taught when I start to feel anxious.

Doodle Tue 14-Aug-18 20:49:26

I don't know if this will help anyone but as I worry for England it helped me. A quote from someone I read "I have had many troubles in my life, most of which never happened".

DanniRae Tue 14-Aug-18 22:43:51

Very grateful for all your helpful replies and good wishes. Especially liked your quote Doodle - that is definitely me!

littleflo Wed 15-Aug-18 08:52:32

I take a 5HTP tablet before bed to help me sleep. I have never had any side effects from it. I don’t think it can be dangerous, as it is freely available to buy. I get mine from Amazon. I also take a Vitamin B complex in the morning for anxiety.

The only thing I would check with the GP, is if you take other meds which interact with them. Our surgery allows us to phone in a question like that which saves an appointment,

Eglantine21 Wed 15-Aug-18 09:03:42

I’d never heard of it so I looked it up. It seems to be harmless in itself but there are some really bad side effects reported when taken with other medication.

These are anecdotal as are the benefits because no clinical tests have been done.

Best to check before popping it, I think!

illtellhim Wed 15-Aug-18 09:34:49

Rather than tablets try MINDFULNESS.

Don't just read about it TRY IT

Good luck.

CazB Wed 15-Aug-18 17:43:34

I have just completed a Healthy Minds course run by the NHS on anxiety management, and found it very helpful. I've also been on Citalopram for a month, but had to come off it as I couldn't tolerate it, but I know it helps many people. Mindfulness is my next step. I also hadn't heard of the medication you mention.